Loss of a Pet

Options
PamL66
PamL66 Posts: 116 Member
Nine days ago my husband and I had to make the difficult decision to have our furbaby, Max euthanized. He'd been epileptic for 3 years and was having round-the-clock seizures despite medication. At 96 lbs, Max was a handful during and after a seizure and the repeated seizures with no recovery time (about 20 over 2 days) were causing him to fail. His breathing was very labored, he was blinded from the damage to his brain, and just wasn't Max any more. The mobile vet who came to our assistance examined him and noted a large mass in his belly. She believed he either had cancer or very swollen organs. We had asked our regular vet about his belly before and were told it was normal. I'm more inclined to believe the cancer, since his belly had been large and firm for a long time. His medication can cause such problems, as well as hip problems which he also had. Max was not quite 6 years old. He was the sweetest boy, but would turn watchdog on a moment's notice. He was probably in a good bit of pain, but hid it from us until those last hours. We couldn't let him suffer any longer.

I miss my buddy. Our other dog, Oliver, does too. He still seems to be looking for him at times.

Replies

• VickiDiane22
    VickiDiane22 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Sorry for your loss. That decision never is easy. Had a dog Rex and he had epilepsy and was on meds for it but it was cancer that finally got him. Saying a prayer.
  • paulipet
    Options
    So very sorry for your loss. Our fur kids really do leave their "pawprints on our hearts".
  • EinTX
    EinTX Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Very Sad. So very sorry.
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry for your loss. Take solace that he is now at peace.
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    So sorry for your loss. We have three dogs, one was very sick last year, and it broke our hearts. You must be in such deep pain.
  • cairee
    cairee Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    so sorry, its quite sad to lose a pet you love.

we lost our brazilian mastiff Muggs last October, he had a condition that I can neither pronounce or spell that more or less ment he had a very low red blood cell count. he seemed to be responding well to his meds but then thanksgiving morning(canadian) he didnt wake up, it broke our hearts. even though we have a new puppy now, and another comming soon we still miss him.
  • eddysuchydvm
    eddysuchydvm Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry for your loss :(
  • kkzmom11
    kkzmom11 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    SO sorry for your loss. I know Max is waiting for you @ Rainbow Bridge.
  • dixiech1ck
    dixiech1ck Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I, too, am very sorry. I lost my little girl Chloe on January 15th. Worst day of my life. She had been very very tired that morning and looked so sad when I was leaving and she was laying in her bed. I came home from work to find her peacefully passed in her bed with her brother and sister by her side. I was heartbroken - she was a rescue who started a life on the streets and had been abused. Evidently, dogs that cough often have heart conditions. Her brother (not by blood) is also epileptic. I took him off the Phenobarb because it was also affecting him strangely.

My prayers are with you..
  • mjg812
    mjg812 Posts: 9
    Options
    I am new to this board but wanted to say I'm so sorry for your loss. It's the most heartbreaking decision to have to make. I have had to make it three times in the last 18 months for my fur babies, my heart and soul dog Jake age almost 16 yrs, the only one I'd had from a baby. It almost broke me but I know they are in a better place with my mum as their angel because they were so ill and that gives me some comfort.
    I hope you find solace in that your baby is in a better place.
  • suz155
    suz155 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I am very very sorry.