2nd pregnancy, first time nausea

Options
mjoslin1990
mjoslin1990 Posts: 142 Member
Any tips for relieving nausea? I'm just about 6 wks along and I feel very queasy. It's a very yucky weird feeling that has NOT gone away for a couple days. I'm hungry, but afraid to eat. any foods to relieve it? Also the sensitive nose is getting to me, I'm afraid to sniff for fear of actually upchucking lol.

I didnt have any of these problems with my first pregnancy :-/ I've heard saltine crackers work, I'm not too keen on those though.

Thanks in advance :)

Replies

• Andrea3030
    Options
    I hate saltines they are horrible! They turn to glue in my mouth:/

Even though it doesn't always sound appealing, protein works the best at relieving nausea. I am currently relying on string cheese, cashews, Greek yogurt, chicken, protein powder.

Eat every couple hours, hunger makes it worse.

Ginger drops, ginger tea, also peppermint drops and tea may help.
  • mjoslin1990
    mjoslin1990 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Thank you. those are some great suggestions!
  • Erinthebodo
    Erinthebodo Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I was very sick with this pregnancy, also my second. I found the same thing... protein was the best. Even though I didn't want to eat things would get MUCH better when I did eat so I would suggest eating a little MANY times through the day. I stopped eating "meals" and just ate a little bit here and there and that was the only thing that allowed me to function. Here were some of my common ones :)

almonds, just a handful
    cheese and crackers, 2-3
    toast with peanut-butter
    a small piece of cheese pizza
    eggs
    peanuts
    yogurt

I also got relief from ginger-ale :)

good luck... it will pass soon, I hope!
  • sallydurkin
    sallydurkin Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    sometimes its just better to puke... then its gone, sometimes. But agree with other comments and know about the smells my sure way of knowing I am pregnant, I can smell from a mile away! And I usually don't like anything I smell.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    I have found that I can't let myself get hungry or too full. I keep food in my purse to help with times I am out shopping or running errands. I also find that avoiding any of the nausea triggers is helpful too. Our garbage goes out every day, most soaps are now fragrance free, etc.
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    I had it worse the 2nd time around, too - I pretty much only had food aversions the first time, and although I didn't ever get sick this time, I definitely felt more nauseated. (Then I got a stomach bug, and my nausea magically disappeared - but the food aversions stuck around!)

For some reason meat grossed me out, so I didn't want to eat chicken or anything. I got by eating a little all day long, and eating carb-heavy foods. I'm not big on saltines, either, so I didn't bother with those but liked Cheez-Its a lot. I found that mozzarella sticks went down well, and popsicles were also good :smile:
  • TinaBean007
    TinaBean007 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I had a few weeks that were pretty rough... and the smells, ugh sometimes they would kick off an entire episode.

Anyway, these seemed to work well for me:

- peppermint candy (also good if you're worried about a smelly situation)
    - mineral water (I had to experiment to find one with the "perfect" carbonation but Perrier worked, I also couldn't handle flavored ones)
    - lemon candies
    - fruit popsicles

Saltines only worked when I was hungry but couldn't stomach anything. I also agree with the post about never being hungry or too full. Both of those would trigger nausea.

Good luck and I hope you feel better soon!