quitting box, try on my own

Options
Scar1964
Scar1964 Posts: 92 Member
Anyone try to follow CrossFit website WOD's on your own? Due to schedule conflicts I will not be able to make it to the box. I have converted garage into workout room and have most of items that I will need. Just wondering w/ out the support of the instructors and other crossfitters pushing me if I will be successful w/ WOD's. Just wondering :noway:

Replies

• Z_I_L_L_A
    Z_I_L_L_A Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    I thought about this myself. Good luck! I'm changing to another box because of schedule.
  • JanieJack
    JanieJack Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    I have to sometimes, due to schedule- it's better to workout on my own than do nothing - but I've honestly found that I push myself to go harder/faster when I'm with the group.

Also, this may not be a problem where you are, but I'm a lot stronger than I look and have more endurance than most people think when they see me, so I find that it's helpful to actually DO the workouts in front of people. Not that anyone's accused me of cheating or anything at CrossFit, but I've had that happen in other, similar, training programs.
  • Mummyadams
    Mummyadams Posts: 1,125 Member
    Options
    I go to CF 2 x week and have just found the most awesome website for home/travel WOD's which I now incorporate on my lifting days after my 5 x 5 session. I hope it's OK to post this here, just think it's awesome! I did WOD 2 this morning for 15 mins and I was drenched!

http://crossfituncensored.com/home-travel-wods/
  • kelr0110
    kelr0110 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Absolutely if you can self motivate, it would be a great money saver! I wish I could. Unfortunately like some of the others here I need the group/coach push thing. I tried random DVDs on my own at home and was totally gung ho about P90x and Insanity. I did one day of P90x and 3 days of Insanity - quit both becasue it's just too easy for me to say forget you Shaun T and turn it off LOL.

Best of luck with it! Maybe by posting this someone else can join in with you and post times and you can be like a "virtual class".
  • Scar1964
    Options
    I will finish out this week @ the box Mon thru Thurs. and will begin in my garage next week. I have almost everything I need and live kinda of in the country so that I can mark distances for runs. I am self motivated, but you can't match the box environment and the extra push you get from them. I was lucky enough to have an outstanding box w/ great people. I will post progress (not detailed) perhaps as an additional motivator/accountability device for myself. GIT R DONE.:bigsmile:
  • Charles4Jesus
    Charles4Jesus Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Does your box have a website? I don't go to the box because of the expense, but I follow their WOD's. They post them on their website. I also use some WOD's from another box as well ( Crossfit Mayhem), the guy who does the programming there has won the CF games the past two years. I don't have everything to do all the WOD's Rx, but for me it works out and saves me $130/mo.
  • Scar1964
    Options
    Does your box have a website? I don't go to the box because of the expense, but I follow their WOD's. They post them on their website. I also use some WOD's from another box as well ( Crossfit Mayhem), the guy who does the programming there has won the CF games the past two years. I don't have everything to do all the WOD's Rx, but for me it works out and saves me $130/mo.

I will check out that site. I am no where near RXing anything and our box does have different levels (beginner, Level 1, etc.) that offer different scaled WOD's. There are some items that I must get (medicine balls, KB's, speed rope), but I will make do. My main objective is to maintain the intensity, not to follow CF to the letter. Have a good one.
  • Scar1964
    Options
    Absolutely if you can self motivate, it would be a great money saver! I wish I could. Unfortunately like some of the others here I need the group/coach push thing. I tried random DVDs on my own at home and was totally gung ho about P90x and Insanity. I did one day of P90x and 3 days of Insanity - quit both becasue it's just too easy for me to say forget you Shaun T and turn it off LOL.

Best of luck with it! Maybe by posting this someone else can join in with you and post times and you can be like a "virtual class".

That's funny. I made it thru 60 days of P90X and then started CF. I tore (minor) hamstring sprinting exercise CF night and did not finish P90X RX. A friend of mine up here has done the Insanity and said that he has actually cussed at the TV because of Shaun T. I haven't ever seen the guy on Insanity, but it seems your not the only one.:laugh:
  • kelr0110
    kelr0110 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I have cussed at the TV as well - he demos a move and is like boom boom done and I'm like panting and gasping and like "you did what!?!". Along with a bunch of other choice words...then use more choice words and say watch this buddy, and hit STOP lol.

Crossfit I know I can't walk out and I can't quit. Ever. I'm too competitive and I would hate the fact knowing that I quit a WOD and also I would never in a million years let the rest of the people there see me quit. Even though I know anything I do doesn't matter one iota to them, it would matter to me lol.
  • littlehokie
    Options
    no way, I love my box and go for the workouts obvi but also for the people. They are my friends, lol.
  • Scar1964
    Options
    no way, I love my box and go for the workouts obvi but also for the people. They are my friends, lol.

I understand. It was not an easy choice, just too difficult to fit in my schedule. I will miss the people and environment, but I will not relent w/ my CF journey.