Busy Momma!!! Needs Helping Fitting Me In!

Options
So I have four kiddos, 19 mos, 8 yrs, 11 yrs and 13 yrs (in jan). My weeks are crazy!!! Monday through Friday I have my 19 month old and I help with my friends son who is 16 months old. We have football practice three nights a week, boy scouts one night a week, TaeKwondo one night a week and I have class one night a week. Our only "free" evening is Fridays and then it starts all over again on Saturday morning with football games. We haven't even been going to church because by Sunday mornings we are just ready to stay home =( And trying to fit exercise in fro me is extremely hard!!!!! My husband works in the construction field so he does not work set hours so a lot of time I do the chasing by myself. Any tips out there from mommas dealing with the same things or ideas on getting exercise back in my days??????

Replies

• 1favoredlady
    1favoredlady Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Try watching a Sermon on TV or online. My Church Living Word Bible Church in Mesa always does live streaming on their website or you can watch old sermons...AND exercise at the same time!! 2 birds 1 stone..Or you can do squats while you iron...

By all means find a way to get your worship & workout. Best of luck..I know the feelings..Friday nites I'm wiped out by 730ish!!! such a lightweight!!
  • crowunruh
    crowunruh Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Do you have a gym near by that has a childcare in it? You could go there during the day. My gym charges only 12.00 a month for the childcare and that is total for 2 kids. I work from home at night so we hit the gym in the mornings. We are home by lunch/nap time. So gym time is the only "me" time I get lol. Needless to say I am at the gym Monday thru Friday!
  • shorview
    shorview Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I agree with others...can you join a gym with child care. That is the only way I get in pilates and spin.

Also, I am doing Jillian's Ripped in 30. It is roughly 30 minutes and kicks your butt, quickly.

I squeeze it in when one child is napping and my oldest is coloring or playing or at pre-school (goes 2x/a week).

I heard of people, I am not one of them at this point, that get up before the kids do. If you can, I would encourage you to buy a Jillian Michael's DVD. Again, it is realistic for a busy Mom to set aside 30 minutes for herself. You are worth it. BUT I know doing it, is sometimes, easier said than done!

Good Luck.
  • bowser625
    bowser625 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I heard of people, I am not one of them at this point, that get up before the kids do. If you can, I would encourage you to buy a Jillian Michael's DVD. Again, it is realistic for a busy Mom to set aside 30 minutes for herself. You are worth it. BUT I know doing it, is sometimes, easier said than done!

Yep, that's me. I get up at 4:30am and workout for 35-45 minutes. The kiddos don't wake up til 6 so usually I am done and showered before the hubby gets them up. I make my hubby mad that I get up that early (because he's a light sleeper) but it's about the ONLY "ME" time that I get all day until the kids go to bed. And I'm not working out at 8:30 at night when I'm dead tired.

So try the morning. It's refreshing once you get going. I do the Jillian Michaels' Blast Fat Boost Metabolism workout!!!
  • shorview
    shorview Posts: 14 Member
    Options

Yep, that's me. I get up at 4:30am and workout for 35-45 minutes. The kiddos don't wake up til 6 so usually I am done and showered before the hubby gets them up. I make my hubby mad that I get up that early (because he's a light sleeper) but it's about the ONLY "ME" time that I get all day until the kids go to bed. And I'm not working out at 8:30 at night when I'm dead tired.

So try the morning. It's refreshing once you get going. I do the Jillian Michaels' Blast Fat Boost Metabolism workout!!!

Hats off to you!!!! That is great!
  • JustMe4Me
    Options
    Well, I will absolutely Try getting up before the kids. I am not a morning person, but think if I can just get into a routine of doing it that will help. We have had a gym membership for over a year now and I used to go and take my daughter to the daycare, but since I help my friend with her son now I can't go anymore. He isn't "in" my family so he isn't covered on my account and they don't have a membership. My hubby goes in a different times every morning so I can't depend on him to be home if I leave the house so anything I do in the morning has to be at home. I will try maybe getting a video or something along those lines, maybe something on wii or xbox too. Just gotta make myself do it!! thanks for input!!
  • kestie77
    Options
    I agree that mornings are easiest with little ones. I started forcing myself and now it's second nature. Videos are a great way to go--I love Jillian Michaels. I found a bunch of free videos using my Xfinity On Demand too. If I ever try to do a video with the kids up, I have them try to do the exercises too. It's usually not as easy as doing it by myself, but it's better than nothing!
  • Audrvrs
    Audrvrs Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I totally understand where you are coming from! Up until 6 months ago my husband worked in the construction field and it was always daylight til dark work hours so all the errands and household stuff was on my own. We don't have the extra money for gym memberships and live in a small town so have to drive 25 miles to the closest gym anyways. I am not a morning person either. I get up at 5 AM to get my 3 kids and myself ready for school and work, and be at work by 6:30 AM. I am not willing to get up any earlier to exercise. I have found recently that Zumba Core for the WII has been great. My kids even get involved. It is family time and exercise all in one.
  • brandyosu
    brandyosu Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I've been going to the gym consistently now for just over a year (now if only I had stuck with tracking my calories for that length of time! - oh well, recently started over and hope that this time I can make THAT my habit).

Anyway, here is how I fit it in:

1) I go in the morning before the kids are awake. I lay their clothes out the night before (they are 5 and 3) so my sweet husband with no fashion sense can get them dressed and fed without assistance.
    2) I have a workout partner. I drive to the other side of town because I joined the gym that my friend was already going to. There are 2 or 3 gyms that are MUCH closer to me, but my motivation to go is higher because I know that my friend will call and wake my booty up if I'm missing without explanation. I HATE getting up early, BTW.
    3) I don't really use this, but my gym provides free childcare with the membership. It is not available during the time that I go, but it's nice to know it is an option.

Other than that, find ways to fit things in around the house. The fitness board on here offers a daily challenge (I just found that today) and it has little things that you can do throughout the day to squeeze in a little bit extra.
  • babymamahowell
    Options

I agree, I am up at 4:00 M-F in order to get a good workout in and showered and ready by time I have to get kids up by 6:30. Every day it is hard to get out of bed but I feel good after I do it, and what helps me is that I catch up on my TV shows while I run, so that makes it more fun because needless to say I am in bed by 9 most nights
  • Reshanna
    Options
    Trust me I understand the who running around thing...I'm like a chicken with my head cut off. Would it be possible to do something when you put the kids down for a nap? If not there are ways to change your cleaning routine so that it is a workout at the same time as cleaning...two birds with one stone! Since you are helping your friend with her little one maybe ask her to return the favor by watching your little ones while you go the gym...she probably wouldn't mind...especially since you helping her is the reason you can't go to the gym (I don't mean to sound like a witch...just want to give an honest answer). You could also check into changing gyms that are open at the hours that are convenient for you and if your friend is able to help you then you could probably save money too. Also, if you don't have one maybe you can get a double stroller and take both the little ones for a walk each day or if the weather is stopping you maybe you could go to the mall. I have learned that something is better than nothing...even dancing like a crazy person during a commercial...every 2-3 minute song eventually adds up!
  • babybluex3
    babybluex3 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    OMG I could not get up at 4am to workout to save my life LOL

My husband leave for work before 6am no I don't have extra help in the mornings
    My kids are 3. 6 & 9
    I workout (on my eliptycal machine) 3 days a week after they go to bed.

That really is the only time I can squeeze it in. I try to be on from 8-8:30ish as if I leave it any later
    my body is too ramped up and I cannot sleep at night.

Keeps me from snacking in the evenings though so that is good.
  • frogsonice
    frogsonice Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I totally UNDERSTAND that one!!! This is why i have this crazy idea...
    So how many of you HATE working out alone??? I know I do!! It is hard to stay motivated right?? Well here is my crazy idea.... Skype workout partners and or groups... we find a dvd we all want to try or a program we have all heard of or even a few of us have and we throw that dvd in the player and flip on skype... we cant virtually workout together around OUR schedules and AROUND our lives not the gyms schedule!! I know sounds crazy but it might be just crazy enough to work... let me know your thoughts....

\to stay motivated.... But that idea aside.... YOU need to find some me time!! yOU are going to burn yourself out..... if you wanna chat sometime feel free... im always looking for more moms to talk to about the stresses!!!

A