New to the group, no luck with metformin or losing weight!

Hello All,

So I am new to the group, have used MFP in the past, and just recently diagnosed officially with PCOS. I have been on BC for about a decade and finally was recently diagnosed by a new doctor who seems to actually care! I have always had a ton of trouble losing weight, awful hormonal acne, I never get my period without being on BC, and have all the other regular symptoms of PCOS.

My doctors put me on Metformin recently to try to help with weight loss, and it has had the opposite effect! Has anybody else seen this? The only side effects I am seeing is some bloating and gas and I tend to not be able to catch my breath sometimes, like I can't take deep breaths. I am not on 1000mg a day (500mg tablets/2x a day). I have gained about 5lbs since I have started the Metformin, with changes to my diet and more exercise. It is extremely frustrating and I don't know what to do!

Does anybody have suggestions or experience with this? I am not sure what do I am definitely starting to lose hope.

Meghan

Replies

• WifeofPJ
    WifeofPJ Posts: 312
    Have you talked to your DR about this? How much are you eating each day? I was finding that I was having some Digestive issues after going on Metformin and I started to taking a Probiotic (Culturell) and I am starting to get my Digestion back on track. I would Also ask if the BC with the Metformin is doing something to make your body resist loosing weight.
  • I go back to my doctors at the end of March for a check up and to see if I should up the dosage. I definitely do see it helping with appetite control and helping with the food I eat to be properly digested. I get very shaky and dizzy if I go to long without eating, I also get this way sometimes even after I eat. I assume it is because of the insulin resistance and my body just deciding it does not want to process the food for energy!

I am on the BC bc I do not want to get pregnant yet, and my Dr. said the metformin can help with ovulation, so she strongly recommended I stay on the BC until we do want to start trying. I try to stay around 1200 calories a day, and want to start a low carb/low sugar diet since I know those are killers for women with PCOS!
  • WifeofPJ
    I go back to my doctors at the end of March for a check up and to see if I should up the dosage. I definitely do see it helping with appetite control and helping with the food I eat to be properly digested. I get very shaky and dizzy if I go to long without eating, I also get this way sometimes even after I eat. I assume it is because of the insulin resistance and my body just deciding it does not want to process the food for energy!

I am on the BC bc I do not want to get pregnant yet, and my Dr. said the metformin can help with ovulation, so she strongly recommended I stay on the BC until we do want to start trying. I try to stay around 1200 calories a day, and want to start a low carb/low sugar diet since I know those are killers for women with PCOS!
  • WifeofPJ
    You know going on the low carb may end up being the key for you. for the past month since being diagnosed I have been eating more on a low glycemic index diet, so my carbs are still up in the 100 grams range but they are primarily coming from Quinoa, Whole Wheat Couscous, Farro, Fruits, vegetables and my daily treat (Got to have my chocolate at least I found a dark chocolate I can like).
  • I was reading my pamphlet you get from the pharmacy from my metformin, and it says that if it affects your breathing/shortness of breath that is an allergic reaction and you should really contact your Dr. as soon as you can. Wish you luck! Hopefully Met works out for you, when it does it can be a great tool.
  • Ohhh...good to know. I wonder if it is an allergic reaction! I did not take my Met yesterday, nor today and seem to be doing a bit better with the breathing issues, but not fully back to normal yet. So I think I will stay off of it for another few days to get it out of my system and see how I feel. I honestly did not pay a ton of attention to when that symptom really started happening and the times, as I probably should have. That is good information though.

Has anyone here tried Cinnamon as a supplement instead of Metformin? Everything I read about it says it is basically supposed to do that same thing, but naturally, with lowering your insulin and helping the insulin resistance.

Also, I have to research a low GI food plan and see what I need to change...I love carbs :(