Balancing protein and carbs??

Options
I'm just wondering if anyone here has the same issue as I do, or if there are suggestions out there! I'm trying to keep my carbohydrates lower, but I find that I have a difficult time balancing protein and carbs. Most of the higher vegan sources of protein (in my experience- PLEASE give me suggestions if you have them!) are also quite high in carbohydrates (tofu, beans, rice, nut butters, fake meat products, seitan, etc...) which makes it very difficult for me to get a good protein intake without "going over" on carbs. I add protein powder to smoothies, but as those are mainly fruit they are also high in carbs. Little frustrated, haha. Any ideas?

Replies

• Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    I think I settled on accepting that Carbs are supposed to be that high in a vegan diet; there are worse things I could be eating.

The first thing I did was to calculate how many grams of Protein I needed for my lean weight and activities - I practise a demanding session of yoga daily, do bodyweight strength and kettlebell so I consider my protein needs are higher than sedentary - and then see where that put my Carbs. On the whole I am fairly happy.

Is your Protein set too high maybe; making your Carbs high as a result?

My precentages are C55: P25:F20. Protein is set to 1g Protein to every kilo of lean bodyweight.
  • allybeegee
    Options
    That's a good point I guess. To be honest, I don't really go by the MFP set-standards for carbs, protein and fat, I just stay where my own body is comfortable. The issue I find is just that I'd LIKE to reduce my carbohydrate intake and am having a difficult time finding ways to do that while still getting a healthy amount of protein for my body's needs.
  • Evachiquita
    Evachiquita Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I am very active (ride my bike 100-200 miles a week) so my protein needs might be a little higher than an average or sedentary person. I try to get 1.2g protein/kg of body weight, or around 100 grams for me. Some days I do great and eat around 100 grams but others I only get 70 or so. Over the past few weeks I have been averaging about 90g/day. I do rely on one serving of protein powder a day to help me out. I don't like that I have to rely on protein powder but I'd rather rely on that than meat/cheese/dairy! Feel free to look at my diary, friend me, or ask me questions!
  • vegandave
    vegandave Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    why is it that you're concerned about carbs, and what is it you're trying to accomplish?
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    @ Evachiquita - I just looked at your diary for yesterday and if I can eat 2 cups of popcorn and all the yummy things you have for meals there, I am going to do more commuting to work on my cycle! I figure I could be doing about 60 miles per week just commuting and possibly another 30 miles on top of that at the weekend. One day in the work week I travel twenty miles one way so, when I have brought my cycling miles up a bit more, that will be a further 40 miles; so that would be around 140 - 150 miles a week!

I can't think I would have a weight problem then!

(or a Carb problem either, getting back on-topic)