Did you get a trainer?

Options
Hello all,

I was wondering how many of you watched videos and studied the form online, vs, getting a trainer? I'm a bit concerned that my technique isn't perfect and that I will hurt myself, but also equally worried that I will hire someone that doesn't know what the hell they are talking about.

Replies

• sheleen302
    sheleen302 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I went the trainer route. If I had been more active and confident prior to starting to work out, I may have felt I could watch Medhi and film my own progress to check form. As it was, I was a noobie to excercise of any kind, not just lifting, and needed a goodly amount of work just to be able to begin using the stronglifts program.
  • chunkmunk
    chunkmunk Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    No trainer here. I watched a ton of videos online (including Medhi) and bought the book Starting Strength. I was afraid a trainer would have no idea what he/she was doing, and I prefer to workout at home.
  • Fittreelol
    Fittreelol Posts: 2,535 Member
    Options
    I did both. I started with just watching many videos and reading a lot of internets. After I had been lifting for a month and a half or so (when the weights got heavy) I got a trainer for a few sessions for a form check. I chose a trainer at a powerlifting gym specifically so I knew he knew "what the hell he was talking about." :laugh: My squat, bench, and row were fine. Actually he kept going on and on about how great my squat form was, and he couldn't believe I just started lifting. I had a few tweaks to my ohp, and deadlift- although the deadlift tweaks might have been more just technique differences. I feel them more in my butt and abs now though so I'll take it! My OHP I wasn't throwing back far enough, and I feel like they're so much easier since I started doing this. Still hard though!:wink:

I think a good trainer is definitely worth the investment if you can fit it into your budget.
  • greenpointmoni
    Options
    Yeah, I think I need to go the trainer route. I don't want to hurt myself. I am getting old and this body isn't as fit as it used to be.
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    I tried to use a trainer as I had a free session at my gym. I was excited because they told me he was a former bodybuilder. When I met with him, I told him what I was doing and he told me to stop because I'd get bulky. :indifferent: He then had me do a P90X style workout. It was fine but not what I wanted. I've been relying on videos, articles, and creeping on the 3 guys at my gym that actually do lift (not just bicep curls).
  • xidia
    xidia Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    I bought Mehdi's book and got the most muscly of the instructors at my gym to give me an intro session (I get a certain number free per month. I should probably book another for check-up purposes). I keep meaning to watch the YouTube vids too, but haven't yet.

Squats I'm OK with, bench I could use a check, OHP varies by day, DL is fine and Rows just feel awful. I dislike them A LOT. I meant to re-read Mehdi and watch a video before going today and ran out of time.
  • juliemouse83
    juliemouse83 Posts: 6,663 Member
    Options
    I hate going to the gym. I watched vids till my eyes bled, and the hubs used to lift before he got hurt. My nephew is also a hard body and I am lucky enough to be able to hit him up on form if/when i need to.
  • iorahkwano
    iorahkwano Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    I get guidance from a trainer at my gym. He's not MY personal trainer or someone I hired, he just runs a group class and helps me out here & there in my little corner with the barbell. He did Strong Lifts a long time ago so arguably, he doesn't exactly remember to a T how the reps should be done according to Mendhi (i.e. Letting the barbell down between each rep of barbell row, back squat instead of front squat, abstaining from using your bodyweight to lift in overhead press).

But as a trainer he knows a lot about safety, posture, stance, weight distribution in the body & form in general for weightlifting. I'm sure I would've done much worse or hurt myself without his advice. Him & another trainer also help by convincing me to do weight that I didn't think I could do but they felt would challenge me enough (Jump from 65lbs squat to 85lbs squat).

I would say maybe hire a trainer (who knows about SL) for your first week or two to get the form down and make sure you know what you're doing, but after that maybe all you'd need is a friend to spot you!
  • DaniH826
    DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    No trainer here. I watched a ton of videos online (including Medhi) and bought the book Starting Strength. I was afraid a trainer would have no idea what he/she was doing, and I prefer to workout at home.

^^ Yep, ditto.

I actually take my tablet to the garage with me (where my weights are) and run the videos while I'm lifting to double-check my form and make sure I have it together.

If you're going to get a trainer, interview them and make sure they know their stuff when it comes to free weights/barbell whole-body lifting. If you can't find a trainer, then ask one of the guys/gals who lift at your gym and see if any of them would spot check you and take some time to show you the basics. Maybe you'll get lucky and find a helpful person who wouldn't mind helping a newbie out. Trainer is good. Mentor is better. :smile:
  • faeriewings1
    faeriewings1 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    The trainer at my gym helps me out occasionaly (not paid for, just helpful), however I'm really conflicted as I really appreciate any help I can get, but on Monday he helped me with my squats and suggested I have my legs really wide and toes turned out so that my back is bolt upright. (almost like a plie). However watching any other squat videos including Medhis, and Mark Ripptoes instructions they all suggest a narrower stance and a slight forward lean of the back. And doing squats the way he suggested seems to have irratated my knees, something that has never happened before. Kinda makes me wish he didn't help me because now I feel bad ignoring his advice, but his advice doesn't seem to match Strong Lifts and my body!

If you're getting a trainer make sure they know about and support the Strong Lifts programs.