need support, need friends

Options
Hi Gang!

Today my cousin in law sent out pics we all took at New Years Eve. i was horrrified at how big i was just a few short months ago. whats worse is back then i still had people telling me "you're not that big, its just your stomach" ive lost 30 lbs since my surgery and ive been at a ll stall since around feb 14th or so. i know stalling ia part of the program and while protein was a problem, i have worked hard to increase it. im just fearful that these 30 lbs are all im going to drop. i still have 75 more pds to go to reach goal. at first, i could barely eat anything, as time went on everything ran smoothly. by the time i got home from work i was good and ready to eat and i was good for the rest of the night. now lately my dinner is later and i have trouble sleeping so some nights im up til 2,3 and sometimes 4 in the morning and my stomach starts talking crap cause its hungry. i know i cant eat that tie of the night and then go to bed because i will gain weight and plu it cuts into the rest of calories for the rest of the day. any suggestions? im really scared to gain weight and there is no local support group and my dietician is telling me i should eat more than 500 calories a day

Replies

• prettybrownis
    prettybrownis Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hey there. I def empathize with you. I to have been a slow loser with my VSG. I have lost 46lbs to day after having surgery on 11/14. Stay encouraged. The stalls are just indicators that theres something you are missing whether protein, body got use to workout routine, etc. I was stalled at same weight for 2 weeks before realizing that I wasnt taking in enough protein AND wasnt pushing myself hard enough on workout. I switched my routine to include a Zumba dvd in morning and 30 minutes of cardo in the evening and I lost 4 lbs that week. . I also get the grumbles in my tummy at nite if I havent loaded up with proteins during the day or had way too many carbs(that stuff doesnt stick with you). Try drinking some flavored water (Mio is awesome) or if you have an icemaker, make you an icee with sugar free drink and crushed ice. It def helps to cure my hunger and back to sleep I go. Feel free to reach out for encouragement.

Im rooting for you!
  • lisakaster
    Options
    Hi Ladies. I was having some similar problems but I found out it was b/c I was starving myself. The Dr. said please eat 60-80 g protein & keep the calories to 800. He said 600 was too low for my max. So now I am eating a little more and wow I lost a little bit right away. Nope, Im not a fast loser but that's ok. Slow & steady is ok. The doc said he was happy with just one lb. lost coz a loss is a loss. I was making myself miserable by trying so hard it was slowing me down. Love yourselves more. Hugz.
  • tanksmom104
    tanksmom104 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I have had the same problems. I am stuck at only 43 pounds and a year out. I had lost more, but started gaining. I found that when I am stressed, I tend to eat comfort foods, that aren't great for me. I am trying to get back on track via mfp and the vsgtalk. I am determined to take control of this and not let food control me. Please add me as a friend and we can support each other!
  • Cheekybookworm
    Options
    I too was frustrated with my rate of loss. First, I had to learn to accept it (didn't have to like it) so that I wouldn't starve myself at 500 cals a day. My dietician wanted me up to 700-900 cals a day. Working out or not. She also recommend more fluids. Believe it or not if you drink more you don't retain fluid. (Don't water load - stick with 8 or 11 - 8oz glasses of water) Too much water for me and I'm not hungry b/c my pouch is full and then I'm famished and craving carbs when the liquid clears. I was also told to stay off the scale (easier said than done - I had to throw mine away). I've had a hard time with head hunger and "rebellious" hunger when I don't feel my body is getting thin fast enough (as in "WTH. I might as well eat"). That's old behaior for me - very self-destructive. So staying steady and having support is critical.

I'm in no way perfect. This journey hasn't been all rainbows and unicorns for me. I'm just doing the best I can and that includes managing the "I'm not losing fast enough and it's all my fault" freak outs.

Feel free to add me.

We can do this!

Jess
  • actg95
    actg95 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I totally get all of this! I will tell you, the scale doesn't always tell the entire story. Like, for instance, I have been gaining muscle, so even though the scale showed a two pound gain, I lost an entire pants size. You may be losing inches.

I can honestly say that I am not perfect, but trying my best and working the program. Hang in there and know we are all here for you.
  • courtoomp
    Options
    I can relate to y'all. I had VSG Jan 23 of this year and am down 18 pounds (24 total with pre op). I am not even 5' with challenging genetics. I know I will be a slow loser, but it can be very disheartening to do "everything right" and not see success, at least not see it as quickly as you'd like! I find that if I don't get on the scale it helps (only once a week) and if I make myself go to exercise even when I wake up (like today) grumpy and wondering "what's the point?!" My friends and family can see a difference even if my scale is stubborn. Seems like the original poster went on and has now lost 70 pounds, so we also can keep it moving!
  • JuzDuIt
    JuzDuIt Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Amen, Sisters! Have the same challenges. I think I will be a slow loser as well, but thats OK. I lost TWELVE pounds my first week after my 2/4 surgery, and 4 since! Wish it had been more evenly spread out. But, that's still better than I've ever done pre-surgery. I will try to incorporate the advice I hear on MFP... up the water, lower the carbs, up the protein, change up workouts. We'll get there! We didn't go through all that for nothing!

Friend me if you like! We can all support each other!