unflavored protein

Options
Good afternoon all!
I have used many protein powders and have some I like, but they are generally flavored. Now that I am on "real food" again, I would like to know if anyone uses unflavored protein powder? I know there are many opportunities to add this to recipes for added protein with little to no taste. I've looked some up that I have heard others use, but thought I would try to get some feedback.
Blewy

Replies

• pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    I have unflavored Nectur (Syntrax brand I think). I got it from my doctor's office. It changes the consistency of some foods, but never the taste. I also have the flavored stuff and it's really good!!
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    Jay Robb is very thin and mixes well.
  • actg95
    actg95 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Hum...I hadn't thought about this. I just didn't think about adding it to food. I guess I am a slower learner than I thought! LOL! :)
  • clblew
    clblew Posts: 30
    Options
    I have unflavored Nectur (Syntrax brand I think). I got it from my doctor's office. It changes the consistency of some foods, but never the taste. I also have the flavored stuff and it's really good!!

This is actually one I was looking at. Someone at our support group was talking about it as well. As I am learning to eat some new foods, maybe I can just get my body to think the "with protein powder" consistency is how it really is :)
  • tashacan
    tashacan Posts: 121
    Options
    I was about to post a question about "unflavored protein" and decided to search first. I'm thinking of giving this a whirl....I can't hardly handle the protein drinks though but my NUT said to even mix this in chicken salad etc...
  • spfldpam
    spfldpam Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I have some unflavored protein mixes but haven't ever used them. Be careful if you mix them with hot beverages as they will clump if very hot. Unjury, Jay Robb, Nectar and many others sell unflavored protein. I usually get in 100 grams of protein a day with one protein shake for breakfast and then regular foods at this point, 7 1/2 months post op sleeve surgery.
  • clblew
    Options
    I ordered the Syntrax and am waiting for it to arrive. I have not been as good as I should be this past week or so in regards to getting my protein in. Hopefully this will help me out!
  • KimberlyinMN
    KimberlyinMN Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Some of the unflavored protein powders will curdle when heated. The Nature's Best Isopure unflavored protein powder can be added to hot things. And just remember that unflavored doesn't mean flavorless, just that a specific flavored hasn't been added. (So you can't add it to water and expect it to taste like water.) :)
  • meganw5638
    meganw5638 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I never mixed mine with food, but I would mix unflavored (usually the Syntrax or GNC brand) with decaf coffee (not too hot!), milk and splenda for my morning drink. I got sick very quickly of all the protein supplements so had to figure out a way to tolerate. I worked hard to get all my protein from food by about 4-5 months out. I haven't had a protein shake/drink in over a year, woohoo!! :)
  • clblew
    Options
    I finally got my Syntrax unflavored in and am happy with it. I fix a green tea and will mix two scoops of it (20 g protien) in with it and it is perfect. I didn't think about milk - will try that! I need to put some in a container and bring to work so I can "refill" later in the day. This last week or so I have not been getting my protien in as I should be, mostly because of no desire to really "eat" and I'm short on fluids too. Trying to get back on track again. As much as I have fought it, I guess I am going to have actually "meal plan" for the week then stick to it.
  • courtoomp
    Options
    I'm wondering why the need for protein powder if you're far enough along to get in 3-5 small meals a day. I am like 5.5 weeks out and only have one protein drink (pure protein 35 grams) a day, and sometimes I don't even do that. I'm not saying you shouldn't do the protein powder, but at a certain point, unless you're a serious athlete, we are encouraged to eat our protein instead. Chicken has a ton of protein, so why add protein powder? Now if you can only stomach like 3 bites of chicken twice a day or something, you prob need every bite to be loaded in the protein. Our kidneys can only handle so much protein at once! My nut always says to have a lot more water if you're consuming that much protein.

Having said all of this, I did try unflavored protein powder in a few things, including with crystal light...and couldn't stomach it. So for now it's greek yogurt, fish, chicken, pork, beans, PB2, and cottage cheese! Good luck y'all!
  • libbyd63
    libbyd63 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I love my Syntrax unflavored protein, I put it in my water/crystal light also and that helps me get my protein in during the day.
    Good luck!