How many calories do you burn?

Options
carholl
carholl Posts: 44 Member
What is your calorie burn, time, miles, etc when you work out on the elliptical? Have just started using a sole e35 and the numbers I'm getting are different from the previous ellipticals I used...an older NordicTrack and a PreCor at the gym. So how long do you stay on it and what are your stats?

Replies

• PrimaveraEterna007
    Options
    According to my elliptical.... I burn 400 calories in 1291 distance or 33 minutes
  • Suzdkea
    Suzdkea Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    It really depends on how much you weigh and how fast or slow you burn fat. Your metabolic rate etc. I am 5 feet 1 inch between 115 and 120lbs and it doesnt matter what I do, I burn about 300-400 cals in 45min. Whether it is the elliptical, running or doing a kickbox class.
  • sunnyGinnaye
    Options
    when i get on the machine i have to enter my weight and age just as i do her on mfp, the machine has the cardio workout which monitors my hr and i keep it between 150-159. the calories the machine says i burn is lower than what mfp says. I wonder which is more accurate??
  • lee_ramsell83
    Options
    On a normal day my average burn can be anywhere between 575 - 650cals
  • NeashasJourney
    NeashasJourney Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hi - I'm new to the elliptical message board/group. I use the elliptical about 3 times each week. I don't remember the name of the brand, but it's the one that's used at Planet Fitness. I use the ePulse Heart Rate Monitor (HRM) and according to it, I burn about 379 calories in 30 minutes (1.5 - 2 miles). Sometimes I workout up to 45 minutes on it and burn 600 calories or more. I often workout to the rhythm of my music on my ipod. Can work 4.0 - 5.5 mph.
  • aakaakaak
    aakaakaak Posts: 1,240 Member
    Options
    New to the group, but not new to ellipticals. I normally go for about 30 minutes. Depending on the machine I'll range between 350-400 calories for that time. I don't plug in my weight or age. I just hop on, put in some resistance (usually around 10-12) and roll.

If you really want to see a more precise measure you should ignore what the machine says and use a decent heart rate monitor that reads calories burned. From what I've heard the Polar FT4 is probably your best option.
  • VeeBethTris
    VeeBethTris Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I'm new to the group and new to the Elliptical but so love the workout I get when I am on it. I too get different caloric counts from MFP and from the YMCA machines. I agree with everyone else in that the calories will vary according to your age, weight, height, HR, etc. I think the numbers are immaterial as they are pretty close in my calculations. You are out there working your booty off and GOOD FOR YOU :)
  • HoneyRiot
    HoneyRiot Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I don't go by what the machine says. They are notorious for being inaccurate. I have a Polar FT7 HRM and it tells me I burn anywhere from 200 - 250 calories for a duration of 25 - 30 minutes. For instance, these are the stats for my last two workouts: I worked out for 30 minutes and I burned 253 calories. However, the next time I was closer to 29 minutes and I burned about 232 calories.
  • Otherthanmynaturalself
    Options
    i burn 400 to 500 cals on machine at club fitness.:smile:
  • I do compition hills on the Nordic Track and usually use MFP. I recently downloaded "Calories burned by heart rate" app. I take my heat rate 8-10 times in 90 minutes. I take the lowest number my hart rate was and plug it into the app with my weight and height. I am learning the more you lose the less "exercise calories" you ge on MFP. I used to get over 900 calories for 90 minutes. Now I barely get 800 when working out for 90 minutes on the eliptical. The same is true on the app.
  • joeint
    joeint Posts: 31
    Options
    50 minutes today 857 calories by my HRM
  • jujuki47
    jujuki47 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Im seeing at least 450 or more for 35 to 45 minutes. at a good moderately fast pace. I sweat buckets... i love to sweat.. is that weird? lol
  • sanvanhaaften
    Options
    500 x hour by heart rate monitor :-)
  • aagaag
    aagaag Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to point out that one typically does not burn less calories when training. That is an artifact of how calories are being counted. The HR monitor computes the spent calories on the basis of the heart rate. With progressive training, the heart rate needed to exert a given effort gets lower and lower over time. Hence the HR monitor "believes" that you have been training less intensively and computes fewer calories - although you are spending just as many! :-)

Thought that these good news may be welcome to most HR-obsessed exercisers (like me).
  • javimendoza
    javimendoza Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I don't go by what the machine says. They are notorious for being inaccurate. I have a Polar FT7 HRM and it tells me I burn anywhere from 200 - 250 calories for a duration of 25 - 30 minutes. For instance, these are the stats for my last two workouts: I worked out for 30 minutes and I burned 253 calories. However, the next time I was closer to 29 minutes and I burned about 232 calories.

Totally agree with you lady, i have a Polar Bluetooth HRM too and it works great with Endomondo Sports Tracker App... i usually burn 500 calories using an Interval Training Program for 30 min.