Lump in Armpit

Options
TLCEsq
TLCEsq Posts: 413 Member
Let me preface this by disclosing that I have lupus and swollen lymph nodes are run of the mill for me (all over my body), plus I am flaring right now so that "might" have something to do with it. However, this one hurts and usually they don't unless I have an infection.

Earlier in my pregnancy I noticed my right armpit hurt. Upon investigation, I had a lump just under the skin a little bigger than a pea. I chalked it up to the above and it went away on its own.

It came back (same one) in early January and my doctor said he thought it was an ingrown hair (which I know it's not) or a cyst. Same thing, hurt to the touch, and the skin over it is red. He said if by my next appt it didn't go away or started getting worse then to come in sooner. It stopped hurting, shrunk back down and went away.

Now it's back again, in the hurting phase. Same lump, which leads me to believe it is indeed a lymph node. I've had it about 3-4 days. I see my doctor's APN today and I'm going to bring it up so she can check it. I don't think this has any relation to my breast tissue but am curious to see what other women (especially pregnant) think.

Replies

• RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    I don't have anything to add to the discussion, but I wanted to say I hope they discover that it's just a swollen, irritated lymph node. Glad you're having it checked out!
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    I'll get something like you are describing from time to time, even when I'm not pregnant. I hope the doctor gives you good news.
  • mormonmomma11
    mormonmomma11 Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Random thought: Do you use antiperspirant? I switched to plain ole regular deodorant - and my lumps have SIGNIFICANTLY reduced. Supposedly some antiperspirants can clogs your pores because of their aluminum content? Weird - but for me it helped a TON to switch over the deodorant (I use men's Old Spice "Fiji" - its the only one I've found that doesn't cause me to break out in the lumps). My lumps ranged from barely looking like a little zit just under the surface of the skin to being much deeper and feeling almost like a marble - even with the switch I still get the little ones everyonce inawhile. Good luck!!
  • Pepper2185
    Pepper2185 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    The increase in estrogen can cause all sorts of lumps and bumps to appear, especially in the breast area as that area is growing new tissue and changing constantly.

I developed a strange bump right after having my son, and I just had an ultrasound and a biopsy done to figure out what it is. All the doctors have said they see lumps and bumps all the time in pregnant/breastfeeding women because of our crazy hormones.

But like you said, it could be related to lupus/lymph nodes, or deodorant like the other poster said.

Make sure you get a good answer from your doctor, hopefully it's nothing to worry about!
  • TRHuston
    TRHuston Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I'm in the "I know it is probably just hormones, but should still get it checked out" group right now. About 3 months ago, I felt a small lump in my right breast. I thought nothing of it, as I could feel my tissue changing with my pregnancy, hormones, and I am 2 years post-op from a bilateral breast reduction. I noticed it again doing a self exam the other day and it felt significantly larger. It is not painful, not near any incision scars and is not red. I am trying to remain calm until I have my ultrasound appointment tomorrow, but the internet is taking my worst fears and running away with them. I have spent the past year of my life getting as healthy as possible to get ready to make babies. It would really suck if this is cancer. I am going to stay positive until I find out that I need to worry. I'm also hoping the fact that I have no family history of breast cancer will make my prognosis a bit sunnier. What I'm curious about is are there any other people who have dealt with anything similar that was not an ingrown hair or a potential topical irritant. Thanks for listening.
  • kellykneppergrundy
    kellykneppergrundy Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    About 5 years ago I found a significant sized lump in my underarm/ breast area. It didn't hurt but was visible when I laid on my size. I had it biopsied which was inconclusive and later had a lumpectomy. Thankfully once removed they were able to determine it was a benign fibroadanoma. I first noticed it about a year after I had a hormonal implant for birth control put in. I'm pretty sure the hormones from that caused the lump to grow. As such I refuse to have hormonal bith control anymore.

If you are breastfeeding your new baby I would say there is a good chance it could be related to milk production, but hopefully your doctor will have a definate answer for you.
  • kellykneppergrundy
    kellykneppergrundy Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I'm in the "I know it is probably just hormones, but should still get it checked out" group right now. About 3 months ago, I felt a small lump in my right breast. I thought nothing of it, as I could feel my tissue changing with my pregnancy, hormones, and I am 2 years post-op from a bilateral breast reduction. I noticed it again doing a self exam the other day and it felt significantly larger. It is not painful, not near any incision scars and is not red. I am trying to remain calm until I have my ultrasound appointment tomorrow, but the internet is taking my worst fears and running away with them. I have spent the past year of my life getting as healthy as possible to get ready to make babies. It would really suck if this is cancer. I am going to stay positive until I find out that I need to worry. I'm also hoping the fact that I have no family history of breast cancer will make my prognosis a bit sunnier. What I'm curious about is are there any other people who have dealt with anything similar that was not an ingrown hair or a potential topical irritant. Thanks for listening.

This sounds similar to what I had. The doctor did say that if the lump is easy to manipulate and move around, it is most likely benign. I hope you can see the doctor soon and get some reassurance.
  • gem_gem
    Options
    I am currently 23 weeks pregnant. About 4 months ago I notices that my right underarm was quite sore. It the progressed to a lump that was easily seen when I lifted my arm above my head. I hesitated for a bit before going to the doctors and the doctor also found lumps in my breast (which I had not found when I examined my self) she booked me in for a scan and the results were that its just part of the pregnancy and that it will subside after I finish breast feeding.

It is still sore now and some days is worse than others but i have gotten use to it.

I do recommended getting it checked out just in case. :)
  • TRHuston
    TRHuston Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Got back from the Dr's office. He and the radiologist both agreed that it was conspicuous, but upon doing an ultrasound, found it to be normal breast tissue. They said this can happen and it's good to have it checked out for peace of mind. I'm so happy, I could do cartwheels! They just said to come and have a check up in a few months if I felt any changes. Yay!!! :happy:
  • Pepper2185
    Pepper2185 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    Got back from the Dr's office. He and the radiologist both agreed that it was conspicuous, but upon doing an ultrasound, found it to be normal breast tissue. They said this can happen and it's good to have it checked out for peace of mind. I'm so happy, I could do cartwheels! They just said to come and have a check up in a few months if I felt any changes. Yay!!! :happy:

Good news!
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options

So glad you got it checked out and were cleared - I know that feeling of relief, and it is GOOD! :happy: