Gluten & Fibromyalgia?

Options
shyn52
shyn52 Posts: 19 Member
I am joining this group - very glad that you are here - because (they say) I have Fibromyalgia and related conditions. There is evidence that gluten may be related to the symptoms of pain and fatigue.

Are there others out there trying to address fibromyalgia? Is it helping? If so, do you need to be 100% free to get good results? I have been trying to go gluten free - so have cut way back - but haven't yet been 100% successful (it's hard). So far I haven't noticed any difference in symptoms by cutting back. Thanks for any advice or your story. I look forward to learning from your experience.

Replies

• mooglysmom
    mooglysmom Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    From what I've read, being gluten free is an all or nothing thing. If you try it, and get pain relief - then gluten is probably a trigger food for your body and should therefore be avoided.

I'm not a diagnosed Celiac, but the GI I saw after I went gluten free said she was pretty sure I have it. My doctor refused to test me because I wasn't underweight. At any rate, I had a long line of symptoms that have been (mostly) relieved by maintaing a gluten free lifestyle. I never cheat, and only get gluten accidentally. Usually by not reading labels properly, and in 3 years, that has happened about 2x a year.

Before going GF, I was diagnosed with fibro and arthritis. 90% of my issues have cleared up. In the winter, its harder. My joints ache more, and my muscles tend to tense, etc. But it has diminished exponentially. I also had constant nausea, diarrhea, persistent migraines, mouth sores (like constant canker sores), and I was constantly hungry. I had to eat every 2 hours, without fail or I'd get light headed and even more nauseated. And I was constantly exhausted. Like, falling asleep standing up, exhausted. There was more, but I can't remember now - its been a long time!

I went GF to address the pain, but those other things cleared up too.

You really have to give it a good, solid 6 weeks (at least 2 weeks) of being totally GF to see if it will help or not. Most people will notice a difference in a few days, but not always. Good luck.
  • Micahroni84
    Micahroni84 Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    i still have the pain points that come with fibromyalgia but I have noticed the all over pain has reduce significantly (like 80%) since going GF.
  • shyn52
    shyn52 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Thank you for responding -s
  • tlwesty
    tlwesty Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    You've got to eliminate completely in order to see any effects. I've be GF for about a year. I got glutened recently when my husband made chili and put a half bottle of beer in a huge pot of chili. I ate one bowl. That night my hands ached and I begged my husband to rub my hands. He remarked that he hadn't had to do that in a LONG time (it used to be an almost nightly occurance). I woke up that night to go to the bathroom and could barely walk. Nothing would bend. My ankles wouldn't bend, my knees wouldn't bend, my hips wouldn't bend. It took two weeks until I felt normal again. No gluten, no pain!
  • krisjnic
    krisjnic Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I have CFS and Fibro, and do not tolerate gluten. I agree with mooglysmom that you need to try it religiously for quite a while to see if you benefit from it. For me it was only a few weeks and my gut issues evaporated. My Fibro did NOT go away, only the irritable bowel symptoms that often accompany it.

I have been largely gluten free for more than 3 years. I can enjoy a pizza crust or a hamburger bun on occasion, with only minor, short lived issues (once a month or so). But if I eat something with gluten twice in a row? Murder. But again - all gut issues for me. I haven't noticed a relationship with Fibro pain.

Having said that, if you don't have Celiac (I don't), I suspect the sensitivity can manifest itself differently in each of us. There is enough evidence that gluten (and dairy) are sensitive issues with Fibro and CFS that I believe it is absolutely worth it to figure out how to eliminate those foods for an extended trial.

One last thought, since I'm not Celiac, I am not hyper vigilant about eliminating the small incidences of gluten (for instance in worcester sauce - I mean, how often do you really eat the stuff?). A Celiac has to be much more diligent. I think it takes practice to cut out either gluten or dairy so don't beat yourself up if you make mistakes in the beginning. It's a learning process.
  • hdlb
    hdlb Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I have CFS and Fibro, and do not tolerate gluten. I agree with mooglysmom that you need to try it religiously for quite a while to see if you benefit from it. For me it was only a few weeks and my gut issues evaporated. My Fibro did NOT go away, only the irritable bowel symptoms that often accompany it.

I have been largely gluten free for more than 3 years. I can enjoy a pizza crust or a hamburger bun on occasion, with only minor, short lived issues (once a month or so). But if I eat something with gluten twice in a row? Murder. But again - all gut issues for me. I haven't noticed a relationship with Fibro pain.

Having said that, if you don't have Celiac (I don't), I suspect the sensitivity can manifest itself differently in each of us. There is enough evidence that gluten (and dairy) are sensitive issues with Fibro and CFS that I believe it is absolutely worth it to figure out how to eliminate those foods for an extended trial.

One last thought, since I'm not Celiac, I am not hyper vigilant about eliminating the small incidences of gluten (for instance in worcester sauce - I mean, how often do you really eat the stuff?). A Celiac has to be much more diligent. I think it takes practice to cut out either gluten or dairy so don't beat yourself up if you make mistakes in the beginning. It's a learning process.

Not all celiacs have the same symptoms either. I have celiacs and can't even handle bread crumbs, but a friend also has celiacs (and was diagnosed while they were looking for something else) and she eats gluten quite often. Its terrible for her internally, but the only symptom she feels is swollen stiff fingers. Nothing else. So major differences in the Celiac world too.
  • TXBelle1174
    TXBelle1174 Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    I have FM and Hashimoto's (auto-immune hypothyroid something or other) and when I stick to a gluten free/low carb diet, I feel 100 times better. By low carb I mean that the only carbs I eat are fruits, veggies, legumes, and sweet potatoes. No white starches or "gluten free" pastas, flours, etc. I do not have as much pain, I have more energy, I just generally feel better. I also take Magnesium Malate and lots of vitamin D3 and that seems to help as well. As others have said, it's an all or nothing thing. When I have a lapse in judgement the amount of pain and feeling horrible correlates with how much I ate. If I eat a couple cookies... not too bad. If hubby and I order a pizza and cheesy breadsticks and I eat 4 slices with breadsticks on the side, I can barely move for the next week or so.