Starting weight?

Options
nzfoxz
nzfoxz Posts: 14 Member
Sorry ANOTHER question from newbie over here. How do you know what weight to start lifting at? I had a personal trainer take me through all the exercises and teach me how to do them etc, and he put me at starting weights that were challenging for me, but allowed me to maintain proper form. I did week one without changing my weights, to get used to everything...this week I'm starting to up weights and I'm worried I'm actually not going to be able to up them much, as they are already pretty challenging!

I think barbell rows are my main issue, I feel like I'm already pretty close to lifting as much as I can there, whereas my other exercises I think I've still got some good space for improvement.

So, how do you know what weight to start at? I've read about starting with just the bar, but that would have been a big step backward for me on squats at least.

If it's useful, here are my starting weights:

Squats: 99lb
Deadlift: 88lb
Barbell rows: 88lb
Overhead press: 35lb
Chest press: 45lb

Replies

• tdeprat
    Options
    I think you are asking about how much weight you should be lifing, but the answer is it depends on your plan and what your starting point is.

I am basically running a 5-3-1 plan where my lifts are percentages of my 1 rep maxes. There are lots of other posts describing this but in a nutshell, you can either physically test your way to your 1 rep maxes or use a formula to estimate what your 1 rep maxes probably are. Once you have these numbers, you can mathematically calculate what you should be lifting and for how many reps.

I tested for my one rep max starting numbers, but a good online one rep max calculator is: http://www.exrx.net/Calculators/OneRepMax.html

So, how much weight you should lift? It depends on your plan. If you are running 5-3-1 the book breaks down what your lifts will be depending on how you break down your training. You can also find spreadsheets online to help you calculate these numbers.

Hope this helps.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Stronglifts is set up to start with basically the bar because as you said, you aren't going to be able to progress much of anywhere if you start with the bar challenging. Plus, you get used to the movements and can perfect the form with the lower weights. I think I started with 65 for deads and rows (purely to get the bar higher), and the empty bar for everything else. You feel like a wheeny for a few weeks, but that definitely doesn't last long!! And some girls can't do the oly bar and start with preloaded bars or dumbells to work their way up. The weights you've listed are very high, especially the rows (you're doing more than me, and I'm on week 7). I would start the program as designed and work from there.
  • nzfoxz
    nzfoxz Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Okay, thanks for the advice. I really struggle with the idea of decreasing what I'm currently lifting, as I want to be challenging myself....but you're right, everything I've read talks about starting light and building up, so I need to just listen to that and make myself do it!