Prenatal Care

Options
Hi, looking for some comfort or information. I just found out last week that I'm pregnant (first time), and my husband and I are really happy, except that we don't have health insurance. We make just a little bit too much to qualify for Medicaid (no, we can't cut back on our hours), and my state (Florida) doesn't have a CHIP program or any other program that catches people that fall between like us. I looked into buying coverage, but even the most expensive plans don't cover maternity. Lectures on poor timing are moot so please don't bother. I went through the Dept. of Health and found a clinic that will do visits on a sliding scale, but even that will break the bank if I have to go monthly. Any advice? How can I keep calm knowing I can only afford a few prenatal visits? Does anyone know of any secret programs out there that I'm missing? Any information about more natural, minimal prenatal care type pregnancies? I'm pretty healthy, taking a prenatal vitamin and keeping up with my eating and exercise, and have never had any reproductive irregularities. Thanks!

Replies

• dawnemjh
    dawnemjh Posts: 1,465 Member
    Options
    That is such a tough spot to be in. What happens after the baby is born? There alot of visits to the pedi the first year after birth??

What about talking to social services down there?

I would make sure that you know all the foods you need to avoid as well as taking the prenatal vitamins. Just go spend some time at the library and educate yourself. Good luck!
  • Thanks for the encouragement! I am in a sort of queue position at my job where as soon as there is an opening, I will be promoted and will get really great state employee insurance. My husband has also been applying to lots of jobs that would provide insurance, so I'm hoping something gives.
  • mormonmomma11
    mormonmomma11 Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Congrats Carly!

Have you considered looking at other programs that would help you save money from other areas of your budget? WIC (Women, Infants, and Children) is a great program that covers food expenses for pregnant women and children up through age 5. There is an income cap - but it's worth looking into. Could you cut out cable/satelite and use hulu plus (7.99 a month) to save there? Could you downgrade to a cheaper cell plan?

Also, have you considered an HMO or PPO through Blue Cross Blue Shield of Florida? I'm not in Florida, but that is the insurance my employer offers and they do cover maternity costs. Plans without maternity range from $75-300 a month - when you add maternity coverage they go up approximately $85-250 a month depending on what level you you want.

I don't know your financial situation, but if I were you... I'd look at where I can cut corners on my monthly expenses and then meeti with a BCBSofFL rep and have them help me find a plan that fits my budget. Good luck Momma! It's never fun to deal with uncertainty.
  • Artemis726
    Artemis726 Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    Definitely talk to social services. Pregnant women often have higher income thresholds and the baby could count as another family member in determining coverage. :flowerforyou:
  • _ylime_
    _ylime_ Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    Congrats Carly!

Have you considered looking at other programs that would help you save money from other areas of your budget? WIC (Women, Infants, and Children) is a great program that covers food expenses for pregnant women and children up through age 5. There is an income cap - but it's worth looking into. Could you cut out cable/satelite and use hulu plus (7.99 a month) to save there? Could you downgrade to a cheaper cell plan?

Also, have you considered an HMO or PPO through Blue Cross Blue Shield of Florida? I'm not in Florida, but that is the insurance my employer offers and they do cover maternity costs. Plans without maternity range from $75-300 a month - when you add maternity coverage they go up approximately $85-250 a month depending on what level you you want.

I don't know your financial situation, but if I were you... I'd look at where I can cut corners on my monthly expenses and then meeti with a BCBSofFL rep and have them help me find a plan that fits my budget. Good luck Momma! It's never fun to deal with uncertainty.

I am not in Florida either, but I have the PPO through Blue Cross Blue Shield, and prenatal care is (at least here) considered "preventative" so there isn't even a co-pay. I have my plan through state employment here (although I had to get in on my own as I also fall along some weird lines... Could you talk to your employer and see it you could get the plan they offer through work by paying for it yourself?) It wasn't cheap but it is worth looking into... I wish I could be more helpful :flowerforyou:
  • VonHocker08
    VonHocker08 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Have you thought about going to a midwife? It's much less expensive in most cases and more personalized care. Just a thought. :)
  • Wickedmeowmer
    Options
    I'd say stick with the DOH clinic. I'm going with a community health center (midwives and NP's) and LOVE them and just pay what you can girl.

From years of being in the health field I know that creditors can't come after you for medical bills as long as you pay them something - even like $50 a month and there is no interest...sooooo yeah.

Even if you don't get pre-natal care (which you should) you're gonna be hit hard with a big delivery bill.

*I'm not advocating not paying your bills - its just they are sometimes a rock and a hard place!

My kid will be paid off when she is like, um...2 or so? ;D And thats with my husband and I both working full time, having rental income and (terrible) health insurance. Try not to let it kill your joy, okay!
  • RenaeNguyen
    RenaeNguyen Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat with you..... I don't have insurance and don't qualify for state assistance like wic, mecicade, or any type of free medical. But fortunately I'm Native American so I have Indian health insurance. But it's not the best if care. I would suggest you hit your local dshs building and see what's available. Sometime there's a reduced program (you still have to pay, but it's not the full amount).
  • flyingcarbaccio
    flyingcarbaccio Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Where in Florida are you? I know Orange County has a prenatal program for women. Have you looked into programs offered by your county? You might even be able to find a program through your hospital.
  • Thanks everyone! I checked, and even being pregnant and/or adding the baby to my household, we still make several hundred a month too much for Medicaid. I will look into midwives and county programs. I do qualify for this program called "Medically Needy" or "share of cost" where I will pay a sort-of deductible for the birth (about $3000) and the rest should be covered by the state. Our budget weakness is eating out, but I have been trying to remedy that with crockpot cooking. Our other bills are at minimums, and we don't have cable. I think between the sliding scale clinic and the birth deductible, and of course a payment plan, we will be ok. Just nervous!
  • miami_mimi
    miami_mimi Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I'm from Florida, definitely go to your local Medicaid office. Really just push for it. Also once the baby is born, you can apply for Florida Kid Care, they are great! my son was on it for a while and my husband and I both worked. We had to pay a monthly premium of $20.00 instead of it being free. Also look for different private or non-for profit organizations, they have a lot of support for pregnant women. Are you in South Florida? I lived in Miami Dade County till last summer and I am planning to back this summer for good. I know more about the resources there. I know Jackson Memorial Hospital there has programs available for women and children, you pay a monthly fee.

Hope you can find something soon!
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    Hey there! We all get in situations like this from time to time where we can say, "Coulda, shoulda, woulda," but since none of us have time machines (I think), we just have to deal with what we've got. With what's already been suggested, hopefully you can find some solutions.

I did, however, want to second the suggestion about WIC, since their income caps tend to be higher than Medicaid's. Otherwise, it sounds like you're doing all you can to cut costs.

As far as BCBS, I live in SC and have BCBS PPO through our office (my husband and I have our own office, and he and I are the only insureds with our son as a dependent on mine - we couldn't all be on the same policy, or we'd have to do an individual plan - we already pay through the nose for our insurance, and an individual plan was worse - and none had maternity coverage, so we had no choice but to go as a small business and on separate policies). The nice thing is that all of my OB visits are covered with no co-pay, as are all routine pediatric visits. Our deductible is high ($5200 in-network), which really sucks, though. My son had to go to the ER once, and it cost me almost $1000 out of pocket for a doctor who literally asked me what I wanted her to do to treat my child and what amounted to half a tube of Krazy Glue (not kidding), plus four hours of our day.

When I was in law school and had almost no money (not that I'm rolling in money now, trust me!), I was a student member of the American Bar Association, which offered super cheap insurance coverage to its members. I remember paying something like $250 or $300/quarter, and it covered preventative care and gave prescription discounts. I think it even covered catastrophic, so if I'd, say, broken my leg, I wouldn't be SOL. If you are a member of any organizations (fraternities/sororities, trade groups, even AAA), you may want to see if they have a cheap plan that will cover you.

Keep in mind, though, that since you are already pregnant, insurance companies may not be required (and may not agree to) cover your prenatal care. I'm not sure how that's all changed with the Affordable Care Act (health care law is not my field), but definitely check on that before you start paying anyone any premiums.

Best wishes, and congratulations!