Over 50 and need some suggestions!

Options
Rikirox
Rikirox Posts: 6 Member
Hi everyone, I'm new to the group. I started working out in January. I went from not working out at all to working out 5-6 days a week. As of today still no weight loss. I keep losing & gaining the same 2 lbs. I am getting so frustrated. I changed my eating habits drastically. Whole grains, lots of vegetables & lean meats. No soda (big one for me) no snacks after dinner, etc.

I usually workout to different DVD's but just started doing Shaun T.'s Miracle 15 minute workout on DoctorOz.com. I change my workout so I don't get bored but nothing seems to be working.

Any suggestions would be appreciated? How are you other ladies over 50 doing it? I have to add that I also am trying to lower my blood pressure so I can possible go off of the medication but the lbs would be a bonus.

Thanks in advance for any help!!!!

Replies

• pondmermaid
    pondmermaid Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Be sure and have your medication, thyroid and other blood work checked because sometimes those things can affect your weight- I had this happen. Also not uncommon to have a plateau at first and then start losing but this has been quite awhile for you. I feel for you and it is so frustrating to work hard at something and have no change on the scale. Do you feel like you are getting firmed up- muscle may be replacing the weight loss. Sometimes when I plateau I stop exercising so hard to even out the building of muscle mass with weight loss. Finally it all comes down to calories in minus calories burned with the total being less than what you would normally eat so count those cals! I know you are probably already doing all this stuff but these are things that I have had happen.
    Good luck and am happy to be part of your support network so friend me if you would like. Don't give up- you have taken a huge step in taking care of yourself and that is super!
  • Rikirox
    Options
    Thanks for your support. It is so frustrating especially since I have been trying so hard & have seen no results. I go back to the Dr. in March so I can discuss some of the things you brought up with her. People keep telling me that I must be building muscle but I don't feel like I am. My clothes still fit the same & my belly fat is not budging! I'm going to keep going strong at least until I see the Dr. If no results by then, I'll have to ask her advice.
    Thanks again!!!!!
  • sgssmile
    Options
    I have just started back after being away 1 year and gaining 15 lbs.back...ugh! Last year when I finally started losing was I actually started eating more, are you eating enough calories? I know that sounds strange but I was in a holding pattern like you for a long time. Mix it up a bit I bet you will start to see some results. Good luck :)
  • Rikirox
    Options
    Wow! I am terrified to eat more than I am because I think if i am not losing now, what will happen if i eat more! I cut out snacks, wine with dinner, soda etc and try to eat lots of vegetables & whole grains. I have never had so much trouble losing weight in my life. When I was younger giving up any one of those things would have resulted in weight loss especially if i was exercising at the same time. This is just so frustrating. I feel like I must be doing something wrong. I don't want to gain weight ever year! Thanks for all of the help & support!
  • Calibrate
    Calibrate Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I feel for you. I'm 51 and have been trying to lose for over a year. Had blood work done and was diag with Hypothyrodism. When on Synthroid and will likely be on that the rest of my life. Went to a dietician and she had me eating way more calories that I was eating. Gained 5 pounds. Went to an acupunturist and he put me on a modified paleo diet with a cleanse and lots of vitamins along with twice a week acupunture treatments. No loss except that $750.00 from my bank account. Took a break from the gym for a few months, gained 10 pounds. Currently eating 1200 - 1500 calories a day, getting some exercise and losing/gaining that same 3-4 pounds.

For all of us with the same issues, keep us updated. Maybe your doctor will see something that we haven't tried yet!

Good luck!
  • tennisfan77
    tennisfan77 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    You seem to be doing all the right things. It is difficult in the beginning. It usually takes a few weeks to see any weight loss. Sometimes seeing a dietician helps. I was able to loss a lot of weight after I took the advice of a dietician. Be patient, the results are worth it.
  • lisabinco
    lisabinco Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, I'm new to the group. I started working out in January. I went from not working out at all to working out 5-6 days a week. As of today still no weight loss. I keep losing & gaining the same 2 lbs. I am getting so frustrated. I changed my eating habits drastically. Whole grains, lots of vegetables & lean meats. No soda (big one for me) no snacks after dinner, etc.
    ...I have to add that I also am trying to lower my blood pressure so I can possible go off of the medication but the lbs would be a bonus.
    1. Keep up the exercise. You're doing better than me. I am having a hard time getting into an exercise routine even though I know it will help move me off this 3-month plateau, despite eating very clean and healthy 98% of the time.
    2. Cut down the whole grains and replace them with legumes instead. Works much better for me when I keep those particular starches under 1/2 a cup or less a day.
    3. Reduce your sodium intake to 1500mg/day and you will see a big change in your blood pressure. Even after losing over 25 lbs I was still struggling to bring my blood pressure down, even with medication; but once I really started watching my sodium intake, and brought it under 1500mg/day, bam! my blood pressure dropped to normal within 3 days and I was able to get off my meds and stay off them. I've been off all meds since August and my BP is now in the 110/70 range (from an average high of 150/90).
    4. Good luck and don't let the frustration distract you from your goal. I am 11 lbs shy of my goal weight and I haven't seen a single pound lost since December; very frustrating. But I refuse, simply refuse to let it get in my way. I will shove through this plateau even if it means I have to really get serious about exercise.
  • lisabinco
    Options
    I feel for you. I'm 51 and have been trying to lose for over a year. Had blood work done and was diag with Hypothyrodism. When on Synthroid and will likely be on that the rest of my life. Went to a dietician and she had me eating way more calories that I was eating. Gained 5 pounds. Went to an acupunturist and he put me on a modified paleo diet with a cleanse and lots of vitamins along with twice a week acupunture treatments. No loss except that $750.00 from my bank account. Took a break from the gym for a few months, gained 10 pounds. Currently eating 1200 - 1500 calories a day, getting some exercise and losing/gaining that same 3-4 pounds.

For all of us with the same issues, keep us updated. Maybe your doctor will see something that we haven't tried yet!

Good luck!
    Perhaps you would benefit from reading "Eat For Health" -- you may find some health resolution in it.
  • lisabinco
    Options
    Wow! I am terrified to eat more than I am because I think if i am not losing now, what will happen if i eat more! I cut out snacks, wine with dinner, soda etc and try to eat lots of vegetables & whole grains. I have never had so much trouble losing weight in my life. When I was younger giving up any one of those things would have resulted in weight loss especially if i was exercising at the same time. This is just so frustrating. I feel like I must be doing something wrong. I don't want to gain weight ever year! Thanks for all of the help & support!
    Certainly don't eat more if you really are not hungry. I wish I could say I do that but I love to eat. You don't have to cut out your wine with dinner -- what's life without a glass of wine? Better than that, you are eating pretty healthy -- being healthy includes losing weight but the real point is to BE healthy, not just be thin. I agree that losing weight as I get older (I just turned 58, for crying out loud!) has become more difficult, and I realize I just have to bite the bullet and get back to exercising regularly. It is the one thing I haven't done this time around. I lost 47 lbs since Feb 2012 but have been stalled out for 3 months, so I guess I know what I need to do now. Thanks for helping me think this one out!
  • SStruthers13
    SStruthers13 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Rikirox, if you would like to add me as a friend I would be happy to peek at your diary and see if I can help. I could not get my weight to budge more than a pound no matter how much I dieted. I found it was the type of food I ate. Once I figured out what foods made me hold onto weight losing it was easy.
  • dazzo62
    dazzo62 Posts: 78
    Options
    I am also trying to lose the "last 5 pounds - again". But I am seeing it move.

Recently, I had a head trauma and then I became a migraine sufferer. I learned there were many dietary migraine triggers.

Being forced to eliminate them has left me healthier - Red wine, beer aged cheese and chocolate are the top 4 offenders, followed by sugar and any thing with yeast (bread, cake cookies).

So by combining what I call "the Migraine Diet" with an upped caloric intake and more exercise things seem to be happening.
  • maryhannold
    maryhannold Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I would suggest you purchase a body fat monitor. I just ordered one from Walmart.com for site to store delivery. It was only $30. This way you can track you body fat percentage (you can add this option on MFP). This way you can show all to your doctor when you go in as all of your tracking will be available for him/her to see.

I usually have a hard time losing "weight", so I go by measurements and size mostly. I have just started (2 weeks ago) adding 2Tbsp. Chia seeds into my diet. I am starting to see some good results.
  • lgblack
    lgblack Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Age 53 here!! Am 5' 4 3/4" and was weighing 160. Top end of the scale for me! Had to reverse the trend that menopause seemed to have me on. For the past 3-4 years, I had upped my exercise (Zumba 2x/week plus 2 half hour drop in classes at noon at a fitness facility). No change. A matter of fact, my weight just kept on creeping up. So in January this year, I said enough is enough. Hubby and I had a trip booked to Jamaica in April to celebrate 25 yrs of marriage and I decided that I was going to work hard and focussed and see what happened. So I bought sessions with a personal trainer. (Here ~$50 per one hour) He evaluated my fitness levels, designed a program for me, told me to start using MFP again and keep to the 1200 plus my exercise calories. He set me on a path that I get a new program every 4 weeks and he will measure me for motivation. I still also do my Zumba classes on Tuesday and Wednesday nights.

Well, since mid January, I am down 12 lbs and a total of 7.75 inches. No wine during the week - and I only have one 6oz glass on a Friday night. No sweets. Eating healthy. More fruit. More veggies. More raw, unsalted almonds. Lots of water. It is working for me.

What you might want to do is invest in a heart monitor (mine was $100, a Polar brand with a chest strap and watch) and monitor your average heart rate during your programs, as well as your calorie burn. I am finding that this post 50 phase has required much more intense exercise (keeping heart rate up in the 70-80% of your max heart rate - which is loosely calculated for women at 226 minus your age - for the majority of your workout time. If you are not doing that, then up the intensity of what you are doing.

Hope this helps. It is working for me :) Friend me if you would like. I still have another 10-15 lbs to go after my holiday, so will be continuing with my programs at this intensity until I can just maintain. But I know I will not be able to go back to drinking the wine I would truly love to on the weekends :( Good luck!