Help....Ideas for challenges.....

Options
angbieb
angbieb Posts: 692 Member
:tongue: I thought someone gave me the challenge for Thursday and now I can't remember...could everyone take a turn starting w/ tomorrow and go day by day with challenges...I want everyone to at least do one! Let's get a week or two worth of challenges out okay? Starting w/ Thursday......who wants it? what is it?????

Replies

• 4Boys4Me
    4Boys4Me Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I can do a challenge:

1 min High Knees with Arms Out (like running in place but bringing your knees up in line with your hips or higher)
    1 min Plank
    1 min Butt Kicks
    1 min Squats
    1 min Tricep Dips.
  • angbieb
    Options
    That is an awesome challenge!
    Just so you all know the challenges for tomorrow thru saturday are all listed under "Today's Challenge". :heart:
  • atuchon
    atuchon Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Here is another challenge....

-Share a quote that motivates you when you complete your challenge
    -Only drink water today
    -1 min superman hold
    -20 bird dogs
    -30 bicycle crunches
    -3-6 min run, your choice
  • kscalish
    Options
    I can do a challenge:

1 min High Knees with Arms Out (like running in place but bringing your knees up in line with your hips or higher)
    1 min Plank
    1 min Butt Kicks
    1 min Squats
    1 min Tricep Dips.

What's a butt kick? What's a tricep dip?
  • 4Boys4Me
    4Boys4Me Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    A butt kick is like running in place and bringing your feet as close to your butt as possible.

Tricep dips can be done on the floor/edge of chair or sofa. Your hands facing your body and your butt up off the floor. Bend your arms and then straighten them.

Something else to add to a challenge would be burpees.
  • angbieb
    Options
    I can do a challenge:

1 min Plank
    1 min Butt Kicks
    1 min Squats
    1 min Tricep Dips.

What's a butt kick? What's a tricep dip?

Funny...you asked what those were...but what the heck is a bird dog?!
  • atuchon
    atuchon Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I can do a challenge:

1 min Plank
    1 min Butt Kicks
    1 min Squats
    1 min Tricep Dips.

Move 1: Bird-Dog
    To work your six-pack area and back, remain on all fours and tighten your abdominal muscles, keeping your spine and neck in a neutral position; you should be looking at the floor (top illustration). Slowly extend your left leg behind you while reaching your right arm forward (bottom illustration). Keep your hips and shoulders square and make sure your lower back doesn’t arch. Hold for five seconds. Slowly return to the starting position and do the move on the opposite side.
  • angbieb
    Options
    Oh...okay! That must be a yoga move.:huh:
  • dizzimamma
    Options
    Here is an ab killer.
    1 minute plank
    30 crunches
    30 butterfly kicks ( left up right up- one rep)
    30 leg lifts
    30 bicycle kicks ( left right- one rep)
    :sad:
  • LeahKRayas
    LeahKRayas Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    1.) Dumbbell Squats
    15 reps
    sets: 2

Starting Position:
    Stand with feet slightly apart, grasping a dumbbell in each hand, arms hanging down at sides, palms facing in. Look straight ahead, contract abs.

Action
    INHALE: Arch back slightly, squat down as if sitting back into a chair until thighs are parallel to the floor.
    EXHALE: Straighten legs to the starting position.

Special Instructions
    Make sure knees to not pass the line of the toes. You can also hold the dumbbells resting on your shoulders.

Muscles Worked: Quads, Glutes, Hamstrings

2.) Dumbbell lateral raises
    Reps:15
    sets:2

Starting Position
    Stand with feet slightly apart, back straight, arms hanging at your sides. Hold a dumbbell in each hand, palms facing inward.

Action
    EXHALE: Raise the dumbbells at your sides to shoulder level, keeping elbows slightly bent.
    INHALE: Lower slowly with control to the starting position to complete one rep.

Special Instructions
    Do not let the momentum of your swinging arms do all the work-- keep the movement controlled. Be sure you are not leaning back when lifting the weights.

3.) "swimming"
    15 reps
    2 sets

Starting Position
    Lie facedown, arms and legs outstretched a few inches above floor, head in line with spine.

Action
    Raise left arm and right leg off floor. Lower and repeat with right arm/left leg. Return to start and repeat the series.

Special Instructions
    Don't lower arms or legs completely until the end of the set. Don't hold your breath.

Muscles Worked: Lower back

4.) Bridges
    15reps
    2 sets

Starting Position
    Lie with arms at sides, feet on floor, knees bent. Press into heels.

Action
    EXHALE: Slowly lift hips off of floor toward ceiling, squeezing the glutes.
    INHALE: Return to starting position.

Special Instructions
    Squeeze glutes through entire rep. Try not to let butt touch ground when lowering between reps.

Muscles Worked: Hamstrings, Glutes, Quads

5.) Lying triceps Lifts
    15 rep
    3 sets

Starting Position
    Begin lying face down on a mat, arms at your sides, palms facing the ceiling. Make sure your neck is in a neutral position.

Action
    EXHALE: Keeping body stationary and arms straight (but not locked) lift the palms up toward the ceiling as high as comfortably possible. Hold for 2-3 counts.
    INHALE: Lower to starting position to complete one rep.

Special Instructions
    Make sure your arms stay in line with the shoulder.

Make it harder: Hold and/or do small pulses in the highest position; Don't let the arms rest or touch the floor in between reps.

Muscles Worked: Triceps

6.) back extensions
    15 reps
    3 sets

Starting Position
    Lie facedown, legs together and extended straight, arms bent with hands behind neck, head and neck in a neutral position.

Action
    EXHALE: Lift the upper body (chest, shoulders) off of the ground, "crunching" towards the hips. Hold for 1-2 counts at highest position.
    INHALE: Slowly lower with control to start to complete one rep.

Special Instructions
    This is a very small movement-- don't move further than you can naturally and easily. Keep legs squeezed together, hips on floor. There should be no movement from your hips to your toes.

Muscles Worked: Lower back

7.) Seated knee lifts
    25 reps
    3 sets

Starting Position
    Sit on edge of chair, knees bent, feet flat. Grasp sides of chair, lean back slightly.

Action
    EXHALE: Pull knees toward chest as you crunch upper body forward using abs, not arms.
    INHALE: Lower feet almost to floor, but don't let them touch until the end of the set.

Special Instructions
    This movement should be slow and controlled. Don't let the momentum of your legs do the work for you, and don't let gravity snap your legs down as you return to the starting position.

Muscles Worked: Abs

8.) Boxer
    20 reps
    3 sets
    Starting Position
    Stand with feet hip-width apart, knees bent, torso almost parallel to floor. Hug elbows to sides, hands near chest.

Action
    EXHALE: Extend left arm forward (palm down), right arm back (palm up).
    INHALE: Hug arms in.

Repeat, switching arms.

Special Instructions
    Keep back flat and arms parallel to the floor, head in a neutral position looking at the ground.

Muscles Worked: Upper back, shoulders
  • Johanne1957
    Johanne1957 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Are we still in need of challenges or are we stocked up for a while?
  • MisterClandestine
    Options
    No Max, we can always use more Challenges, we need one everyday so 365 a year, when I get about a thousand of them in stock, then we will have enough. :smile:

If you have any ship them on over!

Thanks,
  • Johanne1957
    Johanne1957 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    No Max, we can always use more Challenges, we need one everyday so 365 a year, when I get about a thousand of them in stock, then we will have enough. :smile:

If you have any ship them on over!

Thanks,
    Will do Mr C...!
  • LeahKRayas
    Options
    Floor Squat

Stand with feet wider than shoulders and place hands on an exercise ball. Roll the ball out as you bend your knees, lowering the hips into a squat. Keep the abs in, the back straight and make sure you keep the knees behind the toes as you squat. Stand back up as you roll the ball in, squeezing the glutes (avoid locking the knees). Repeat squats for 1 set of 12 reps.

Assisted Lunge

Stand in split stance, feet about 3 feet apart using a chair or wall for balance. Keeping torso straight, bend knees and lower body towards the floor without allowing front knee to bend over the toe (you should see the tip of your shoe). Push through the heel to come back up without locking the knees. Repeat for 1 set of 12 reps and then repeat the series with the other leg forward. If this bothers your knees, consider alternatives to lunges.

Wall or Rail Push Up

Stand a few feet away from a wall or a high stair railing (as shown) and place hands on wall or rail so that they're just wider than the shoulders. Pull the abs in and, keeping back straight, bend elbows and lower body towards the wall/rail until elbows are at 90 degree angles. Push back to start and repeat for 1 set of 12 reps.

One-Armed Row

Place left foot on a step or raised platform. Hold a medium weight in the right hand and prop the left hand on the left thigh for support as you bend over (back flat and abs in), hanging the weight down towards the floor. Squeeze the back to pull the elbow up in a rowing motion until it is level with the torso. You should feel your lats (the muscles on either side of your back) contracting. Lower the weight and repeat for 12 reps before switching sides.

Lateral Raise

Stand with feet hip-width apart holding light dumbbells in front of thighs with the palms facing each other. Keep a slight bend in the elbows to protect the joints and lift the arms out to the sides, just to shoulder level. Lower the weights a repeat for 1 set of 12 reps.

Hammer Curls

Stand with feet about hip-width apart, holding medium dumbbells with the palms facing in. Squeeze the biceps to curl the weights towards the shoulders, keeping the elbows stationary. Slowly lower the weights, keeping a slight bend in the elbows at the bottom. Repeat for 1 set of 12 reps.

Tricep Extension

Sit on a ball or chair and hold a light-medium dumbbell in both hands (hold on the top of the weight) with arms extended overhead, elbows next to ears, arms straight. Bend elbows and slowly lower weight behind you until elbows are at 90 degrees--keep the elbows in and right next to ears. Contract the back of the arms to extend the arms. Repeat for 1 set of 12 reps.

Bird Dog

Begin on hands and knees with the back straight and the abs pulled in. Lift the right arm up until it is level with the body and, at the same time, lift the left leg up and straighten it until it is parallel to the floor. Hold for several seconds, lower and repeat on the other side, this time lifting the left arm and right leg. Continue alternating sides for 12 reps (1 rep includes both the right and left sides).

Seated Rotation for Abs

Sit with good posture holding a medium dumbbell in front of chest. Keeping the abs contracted, rotate the torso to the right while keeping the hips and legs facing forward. Contract abs to bring the weight back to center and then rotate to the left. Repeat for 12 reps.
  • cindyhoney2
    cindyhoney2 Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    Very nice ideas. I will try to go thru my Shape magazines tomorrow and come up with some challanges too. Hope everyone had a good weekend.
    Good job with the descriptions LeahKRayas :)
  • LeahKRayas
    Options
    Thanks Angie I was worried that it was too much info hahaha. But sometimes I see exercises like bird dog and I cannot even begin to imagine what that must be at least this way I wont have to google it to know lol.
  • cindyhoney2
    cindyhoney2 Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    Yes, I know, I have to youtube a lot of exercises my self. What are we posting for today's challange?
  • tarriharris5
    tarriharris5 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Anyone know what tue challenge will be?
  • lorihov
    lorihov Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the excellent description of these exercises.
  • stevenshm
    Options
    Here's a challenge:

1 minute Jumping Jacks
    1 minutes running in place
    1 minute High Knees
    1 minute running in place
    1 minute Jumping Squats (squat down then jump up)
    1 minute running in place

break 2 minutes and repeat