Behaviors

Options
So my 5 yo has been diagnosed as anxiety disorder, ODD and we a working on an aspergers confirmation. My issue is that no punishments work! I've tried time outs, standing in corner, taking away things, contingent work and yes spanking. He could care less and now it is wher he says things to his teachers like go ahead and take it away I could care less. What do you do for punishments for back talking, sassing, work refusal for homework and at school, not following directions, etc....

Help please!!

Replies

• lazieats
    lazieats Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    That's so tough. My son can get into those phases and the best response I have found is to just send him to his room for an established amount of time. He's 13 now, so sometimes it's for an entire afternoon if he's not able to get it together. I don't know if it actually works, but it does separate him away so that everyone can calm down. He's an epic arguer, so getting him off by himself helps immensely in the thinking-clearly and stress departments. For repeat transgressions, we've used writing standards that are a positive statement, such as, "I will tell the truth because lying will always get me in trouble." Again, this is a punishment designed to keep him busy and away from arguing longer. This also gives him control in how long his punishment will last. If he plays in his room or whatever, that's fine, but he doesn't get his DS back or his TV or watching movies with the family, and sometimes when its a mega-tantrum, he can't even have the same meals as us (my son is very food focused). So instead of what we're having, he'll have some sandwiches. Messing with his meals tends to motivate him the most. Usually having everything else in his life stop until the task he's been given (homework, chore, etc) is complete often works. But, unfortunately, not always.

I have yet to figure out how to control behavior when he's at school. I don't hear about it until after the fact, of course, so even if I punish him at home, it doesn't stop the next incident. Sometimes he had a teacher who was firm enough and, with our permission, would restrict him from fun activities and/or remove him from the class when he was acting up. But, for my son, this only worked if the teacher was firm and consistent. A few times running into that brick wall had my son recognizing his boundaries. Overly sweet and wishy-washy teachers were a promise of a year of problems and phone calls. Sometimes just letting the teacher know it was ok to be firm and consistent was all it took for them to be so. But, again, unfortunately, not always. Sorry I couldn't be more help.
  • MarjorieDawes57
    MarjorieDawes57 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    My 7 year old also suffers from anxiety issues and it's very common with children on the autistic spectrum. A lot of the 'acting out' could be a signal that he's overwhelmed and unable to cope with any demands due to his anxiety (however small they may appear to another person) There could be sensory issues as well that may tip his tolerance levels over the edge too, leading to a flat refusal to comply with even the smallest of requests from another person. We've found using strategies for PDA (Pathological Demand Avoidance) quite useful and has helped with his co-operation. If you can identify his triggers (excess noise, too many people and not knowing exactly what he should be doing are all 'red flags' for my child) and find work arounds for them as far as is possible, you might find that he feels more able to deal with things. (PDA is also part of the autistic spectrum, but is a lot less common than autism or asperger's) The usual parenting strategies such as time-outs, sticker charts etc. just didn't work with our son at all, and apparently this is also quite common with alot of children on the spectrum! :smile:

http://www.pdacontact.org.uk/noframes/guidelines.shtml#Handling
  • camsmommy2008
    Options
    Thanks friends!!! I have some research to do!!! I appreciate you all!