Oly snatch/overhead squats

Options
Scar1964
Scar1964 Posts: 92 Member
Oly snatch and overhead squats has to be the hardest thing I have done regarding lifting. Pushing your hands out on the bar while trying to pull shoulders towards ears is just a Beootch. Not to mention the pressure on your lower back and that is just the warmup w/ bar only. I have a new respect for good Oly lifters, there is allot more to it than I would have thought. That sh#t is hard.

Replies

• Z_I_L_L_A
    Z_I_L_L_A Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    I soooo totally agree. I pinch a nerve in my shoulder when I do OHS. Arm goes numb for 3 days after doing them. My arms are super long and hard to get inside the collars on an Olympic bar.
  • shaywallis
    shaywallis Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Power snatches are quite possibly my least fav lift!!!. Granted I just started and am only doing #45 snatches, but still. We had a WOD where did 21,18,15,12,9 snatches this past tuesday. I almost died

OHS are hard but I dont mind them as much. Kind of excited to do them since I just moved up from doing it with only a #35 bar to #55 this past week.
  • Jindra12
    Jindra12 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Right placement of your feet, drive your hip to an explosive jump, keep your arm straight when you drive your hip in the explosive jump, shug your should and then pull the bar, keep the bar close to your body, and then get under it. It isn't hard.
  • kelr0110
    kelr0110 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I haven't done snatches yet, but we did one max rep test for OH squats last week (also deadlift and shoulder press). My shoulders were killing me because of the fact you have to keep it tight or it's goin down, which I unluckily did experience once when I slouched lol - it was a new thing for me, but super fun. This week we're building on that and doing some strength sets with 70% of our OMR. Very cool - I can't wait to do the oly lifting class next month - we're not allowed to do certain things in WODs until we take this for obvious reasons.
  • Scar1964
    Options
    Right placement of your feet, drive your hip to an explosive jump, keep your arm straight when you drive your hip in the explosive jump, shug your should and then pull the bar, keep the bar close to your body, and then get under it. It isn't hard.

I was speaking for myself.
  • Charles4Jesus
    Charles4Jesus Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I was just talking to the head coach at the local Box about these. I have more trouble with straight-up OHS than I do Squat snatches. I don't understand why. It is essentially the same lift, once the bar is overhead. I'm pretty weak with these,for a 6'-240lb guy. He also told me I could come to the 5am class(it fits my schedule the best,I could go before work) a couple weeks to work on form and stuff ........for FREE!
  • Jindra12
    Jindra12 Posts: 256 Member
    Options

Yes, I hoping that I could help you to make it easier for you. Your message was heard.
  • Sasquatchrider
    Sasquatchrider Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Flexibility is HUGE. I used to feel it in my lower back. I also broke my upper arm and it healed at an angle so literally if I lay on my back with my arms above my head one arm won't touch the ground. What made a world of difference for me is rotating my knees more outward
  • Scar1964
    Options

Yes, I hoping that I could help you to make it easier for you. Your message was heard.

It's all good. I have lack of flexibility issues, to the point that I have to put 5 lb plates under my heals just to be able to OHS w/ out falling forward. It will take some time, I'm not giving up. Thanks Man.
  • sara_m83
    sara_m83 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    I hear a lot of men struggle with the overhead work, particularly OHS because of shoulder flexibility. My form is fine, but holding the weight above my head is a struggle. Yesterday's strength session (pre-WOD) involved "tempo" OHS - 10sec descent, 5 second hold, then explode up. 5 sets of 3 reps. By the end, I didn't know if I could keep the 15kg bar above my head for the last rep.

That said, I'd much prefer OHS to snatches. I'm too afraid to add much weight to the bar yet because it's such a complex movement!
  • julielittlefish
    julielittlefish Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I don't mind snatches, actually. Once I get into balance or squat snatches I have a hard time, but power or hanging, I'm ok.

I have mobility issues too so I really struggle with OHS as well.

I get more frustrated that I can power clean 15-20 pounds more than I can squat clean.

My squats have come a LONG way but I still have a lot of work to do!
  • Scar1964
    Options
    I hear a lot of men struggle with the overhead work, particularly OHS because of shoulder flexibility. My form is fine, but holding the weight above my head is a struggle. Yesterday's strength session (pre-WOD) involved "tempo" OHS - 10sec descent, 5 second hold, then explode up. 5 sets of 3 reps. By the end, I didn't know if I could keep the 15kg bar above my head for the last rep.

That said, I'd much prefer OHS to snatches. I'm too afraid to add much weight to the bar yet because it's such a complex movement!

Nice profile pic!! Now That's Funny, I don't care who ya R.
    And yes my struggle w/ OHS is my shoulders.
  • littlehokie
    Options
    OHS are hard! we did jeremy this week and the first round of squats I totally didn't have my hands wide enough so it was impossible. FIgured out my mistake and it was much easier after.
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    I hope your coaches are running you through 1st, 2nd & 3rd positions (or burgerner warm up) of the snatch/squat snatch before starting them. I find when you review them before the WOD it is especially helpful.
    When I do squats I will always warm up my hips really well (you can take a Jr. Bar, put it on your knees as you squat down and shift your weight from leg to leg pushing your legs wider with the bar. As for Shoulder mobility, either you have it or don't... do some shoulder dislocates, try to get your hands closer together as you do them.
    But most importantly - don't choose weight over form/technique. You may be able to go heavier, but if your form sucks, you are likely to injure yourself.
  • juicemoogan
    juicemoogan Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    My right hand goes numb as well when i do overhead squats.