Conserving energy during WOD

Options
I've just finished up my second week of crossfit. I'm finding that I'm worried about having enough energy to finish the workout so I'm not pushing as hard as I could/should. I manage to finish the workouts and shortly after I'm kicking myself that I could have gone harder, faster, heavier, ect. I am just not sure how much is too much that I can't finish the WOD.

I think I have this problem in all aspects of physical training and it's got to be holding me back. I ran a half marathon a few weeks ago and just to ensure I could run the whole thing my boyfriend and I ran horribly slow. I didn't even feel all that tired or need much recovery time after the race. Then I was mad at myself thinking I could have had a much better time if I only ran faster.

Maybe it's a confidence thing? I don't even really know what I'm asking either. I was just frustrated after I left crossfit last night. My boyfriend was gassed and didn't want to move and I was feeling like I could have done the workout again!

Replies

• Z_I_L_L_A
    Z_I_L_L_A Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    Its tough trying to figure out how to attack a WOD. I always hear pace yourself and breath. My toughest thing is getting my breathing right. I can run a mile in 8 min. weighing 250 lbs. and not be breathing heavy at the end. But most of the fast wod's have me gasping for air.
  • happyheathen927
    happyheathen927 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    IMO, the only way you'll know what your limits are is to just throw yourself into it. Give everything you've got, right from the start. If you give out before you're done, then at least you KNOW you've given 100%.
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    Options
    Which do you get more out of though?
  • Huggenkiss27
    Options
    There has to be a happy medium. I don't want to throw myself into a 4 or 5 round for time WOD and be laying on the ground and puking by round 3. If it happens at the end of the workout that would be great. I see people who throw everything into the workout off the bat and then don't even finish it. I guess I'd just rather finish but at this point I'm being too conservative to make sure I get done.
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    Options
    Reebok Crossfit forum I asked the same question and most said pace yourself the first time you do a certain wod. You can increase your intensity as you go along or next time you do the same wod you'll know how to attack it.
  • Huggenkiss27
    Options
    Reebok Crossfit forum I asked the same question and most said pace yourself the first time you do a certain wod. You can increase your intensity as you go along or next time you do the same wod you'll know how to attack it.

That sounds like good advice. I guess I can't expect to be a crossfit superstar by my second week :-) I just hear people talk about how sore they are or how hard the workouts are and I'm just not there. The WODs have been hard but I've recovered much quicker than I expected.
  • happyheathen927
    happyheathen927 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I'm depending pretty heavily on my coaches, I guess. I'm far, far from doing anything rX...they're modifying just about everything for me and they know me well (we were friends before dh and I started training with them). I trust their judgment; if they think I can do what they're asking me to do, then I'm gonna give it everything I've got. I haven't not been able to finish anything yet, but I'm pretty spent at the end every time.
  • kelr0110
    kelr0110 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I am the same as ehmayo, I trust the coaches to tell me whether or not I'm trying to be too ambitious. I was insisting on pushing to do pullups with the band finally last week - they said I could do the first round with it but after that it was their call. Lo and behold I had to go back to ring rows for round 2. Same with weight choices. We test everything and they'll watch - if they think I won't be able to do it for 4 rounds they'll knock the weight down.

With running ones though it's different, i'll push just to get the running done because it's not my favorite lol. I think you know yourself best though - you already know that you're not gassed, so push a little harder for next time :)
  • artsyalice
    artsyalice Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    yea -figuring out how to pace yourself is hard! It sounds like you tend to be light on yourself so maybe just go a little harder each time. There have been SO many WOD's that I have not thought I'd make it through but somehow do - those usually end up being the ones I like the most. ;)
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    Options
    My instructors usually tell me whether to go all out or pace myself on each wod. Some you can some you can't. As long as you have good instructors that pay attention to your level and form you'll be fine. There is one crossfit location in our county and they are getting a lot of people hurt from what I've been told. There are good coaches and bad in every sport. Some are about the money and don't really teach like they should. I still don't RX on everything. Still learning.
  • shaywallis
    shaywallis Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    it is hard to figure out how to "attack" certain WODs. I kind of feel like I could have pushed myself more during today's WOD (20min AMRAP of 100 jump rope/20 slam balls) I only did 7 1/2 rds. Started off with the 20lb slamball and moved down to the 15. I'm kicking myself for not sticking with the 20. 15 is so easy for me but the 20 is hard!! I wish they made an 18lb one lol. If I finish the WOD and feel like I could have given more then I do a little extra work. Today it was 100 box jumps.
  • Mummyadams
    Mummyadams Posts: 1,125 Member
    Options
    I used to do the same, purely because I had no idea how hard the WOD's would be and didn't want to run out of gas before I finished and like you I too knew when I finished that I could have gone harder. Now I go hard from the start because I know the WOD will be short and also because you are usually doing a few different exercises, I seem to have a surge of energy when moving from one to the other.