Hack Squats

Options
So, I can almost certainly squat more weight than I can safely lift over my head, but the racks at the gym are ALWAYS full of giant dudes being manly and I don't do talking to people unless it's 100% necessary. I just learned about hack squats - does anyone do these? What do you think of them as an option? Thank you!

(If you don't know what they are, here: http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/Quadriceps/BBHackSquat.html)

Replies

• ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    Not sure about hack squats, but just wanted to say you have every right to be at that rack! If they're taking forever you could always let them know you're waiting.

"Do one thing every day that scares you" - Eleanor Roosevelt
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    So, I can almost certainly squat more weight than I can safely lift over my head, but the racks at the gym are ALWAYS full of giant dudes being manly and I don't do talking to people unless it's 100% necessary. I just learned about hack squats - does anyone do these? What do you think of them as an option? Thank you!

(If you don't know what they are, here: http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/Quadriceps/BBHackSquat.html)

Not QUITE as good and you'll still run into limits with grip strength, but they are an acceptable substitute when you can't get a rack. they're a little harder to make sure you're doing properly but you've got a good link there.

I'd still try to get in on a rack when you can.
  • FluffyDogsRule
    FluffyDogsRule Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I lift at home and don't have a squat rack, so I do hack squats instead (started with front squats but it got too hard to get the weight up for each set). They are absolutely working for me!! They did take a while to get used to...I did lots of practice with form, but I think I've got it now.
  • butterfli7o
    butterfli7o Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    I'm *pretty* sure LorinaLynn does these...you might want to ask her about them too.
  • butterfli7o
    butterfli7o Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    I just looked at the video and finally see what they are...neat! Kinda like a behind-the-back deadlift.
  • tameko2
    Options
    I'm *pretty* sure LorinaLynn does these...you might want to ask her about them too.

she does, but she will be the first to tell you she hit a wall where she couldn't hold the bar for reps anymore.
  • FluffyDogsRule
    Options
    why, though, would grip be an issue for hack and not deadlift??? I'd imagine you could do a alternate grip on hacks, too?? can't imagine hack weight ever being more than deadlifts???

hmmm...i'll have to do some research.
  • katie__pillar
    Options
    Thanks for the replies so far! I think I've got a while before grip strength becomes a problem, but maybe I should suck it up and learn to use the rack anyway. It's nice to have an alternative for when it's extra busy though.
  • tameko2
    Options
    why, though, would grip be an issue for hack and not deadlift??? I'd imagine you could do a alternate grip on hacks, too?? can't imagine hack weight ever being more than deadlifts???

because you put it all the way down in between on deadlifts, and your hands get a few seconds of rest in between, AND no one does 25 deadlifts at full work weight but you're doing 25 squats at that weight.

So yes you can deadlift 200x5, but could you grip a 200 lb bar for 25 reps? Probably not.
  • FluffyDogsRule
    Options

because you put it all the way down in between on deadlifts, and your hands get a few seconds of rest in between, AND no one does 25 deadlifts at full work weight but you're doing 25 squats at that weight.

So yes you can deadlift 200x5, but could you grip a 200 lb bar for 25 reps? Probably not.

ahh...yes...i didn't think of the way greater number of reps.
  • xidia
    xidia Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    I've just settled on these as we have no power rack. Thanks for the link: hopefully it'll stop me whacking my butt and hamstrings with the bar...
  • faeriewings1
    faeriewings1 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I tried hack squats but could not stop whacking my legs :( so in lieu of buying my own squat rack I reluctantly joined the gym. I have slowly gained the confidence to ask dudes using the squat rack how many more sets they have, and once they know your waiting they hurry it up a bit. The other night I just sat and stared at the rack making it obvious I was waiting and the dude quickly moved on. I must say though I prefer going at a quieter time when on of the racks will def be free.