Best walking/jogging spots near West Ed?

Options
When the snow melts, I want to get back into walking/jogging outside. I like having lots of nature around me, and don't particularly care for being in view of drivers while I run. They make me nervous, and then I don't try as hard, haha.

What are your favorite nature walk areas in the West End, nearish West Edmonton Mall?

Replies

• TaintedVampyre
    TaintedVampyre Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    Wish I could help... unless you drive to the South side and do your activities at Hawrelak.
  • sugarbeans
    sugarbeans Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    There's Sir Laurie park near the valley zoo. That's kinda close to WEM. or Mckinney park?
  • feydruss
    feydruss Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    There are some decent pathways/trails between Callingwood and Rio Terrace, I think. Ask at the Callingwood Running Room, they'll probably have some good routes around there to suggest!
  • Derpina7
    Derpina7 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Tera Losa Park comes to mind, although it's rather small. And right across the street from it there's another smaller park with a pond. The river valley isn't too far off either from WEM (either Westridge/Rio Terrace or Crestwood/Laurier Heights). :)
  • vesperpt
    vesperpt Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    There's a patch of trails over in Wolf Willow I go to a lot, close to the river valley. I go down 170th towards Callingwood, left at the plaza with the Sorrentino's and the Starbucks, and pretty much follow that road until you drive by a trail entrance. There's some trails and two sets of stairs on either side. I do the stairs in the summer -200 from bottom to top, or the other side is wider/shorter stairs and less of them. It's one of my favorite spots that isn't much of a drive :)
  • kaitlynsmom
    kaitlynsmom Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    There's a patch of trails over in Wolf Willow I go to a lot, close to the river valley. I go down 170th towards Callingwood, left at the plaza with the Sorrentino's and the Starbucks, and pretty much follow that road until you drive by a trail entrance. There's some trails and two sets of stairs on either side. I do the stairs in the summer -200 from bottom to top, or the other side is wider/shorter stairs and less of them. It's one of my favorite spots that isn't much of a drive :)

Sweet thanks!! I am in the Callingwood area and didn't know about that. Will have to check it out once all the damn snow and ice is gone :)
  • vesperpt
    vesperpt Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    29o51lh.jpg

This is a map of where I was talking about. I usually will follow the road to where that yellow star is, but as you can see, there is a walking path from wayyyyy up by the community league that joins into it. There's usually a few people parked on the street where I go from, and that's typically where the "trail-ish" stuff starts. Everything before is all path. :) I love it because it's close enough to go to before work in the summer, and it's a different scene from the gym. Enjoy!