Welcome Ladies!

Options
Hello ladies!

I've started this group for anyone who is suffering from PCOS and wants to start kicking the real pounds.

I was diagnosed when I was 15-16 years old, I was told that it is nothing to worry about so just went on doing my day to day things.

As time went on I began to realise that things were not right, my lady functions come once a year so I went to seek for another opinion, yet again I was told the same.

After seeing a doctor a few weeks ago she sent me for another ultra-sound and a blood test. The ultra sound was worse the original one 5-6 years ago.

I am finally getting the help to help me overcome PCOS!

In line with this I wish to lose 28 lbs before then end of this year! I have been on a diet since November last year, I have lost 0 lbs!

I know what it is like ladies! I'm hoping that diet tips and exercise will be shared. We all need to support each other, because sometimes no on else will.

We all know weight lose is a battle!

Come on ladies! Now introduce yourself! :)

Replies

• lisathornton81
    Options
    Hi newbie here!
    I was diagnosed with PCOS when i was 19 (i am 31 now) and was only getting AF around 3 times a year. After many years of being on the pill i am now trying to conceive and so far no joy although my periods are now regular and i am ovulating every month.

I need to lose about 20lb and finding it very difficult to shift the post wedding poundage!

KellyLouise35 - have you tried any supplements such as Vitex (Agnus Castus) or Inositol? :smile:
  • kshaw5501
    kshaw5501 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Hi, my name is Kelly, I am going to be 37 next month and I have PCOS. I was diagnosed 14 years ago at the age of 27, just before I got married. My PCP didn't know what treatment plan I needed, so he referred me to a great OB/GYN office and I have had the same OB ever since. She's so kind and understanding of my many emotional breakdowns, weight ups and downs, infertility, insecurities and hormone imbalance. She first ran a bunch of blood tests and I had several ultrasounds to confirm my PCP's diagnosis of PCOS. It was also discovered I was hypothyroid and vitamin D deficient, so I began taking Synthroid and a vitamin D3 supplement. I was put on 500 mg Metformin a day and increased to 2000 mg a day over time, but not without a lot of tummy issues and and lots of weight loss with each increase, but only to put it back on once my body was regulated on that does. I still didn't get a period every month, but they were coming more regular. I didn't go on birth control because we wanted to try for a baby right after we got married since we knew it could take years, and it did.

I have about 55 lbs. to lose to get to a normal BMI, but may try to lose more once I get that weight off.
  • LiveTheLifeYouWillLove
    Options
    I was diagnosed about 3 years ago and was also told "not to worry about it" unless I had trouble conceiving. Reading stories on mfp is opening my eyes to new information about PCOS. I didn't know it was so related to my weight, it could explain my lifelong struggle! Hoping to learn from you all!
  • Lottiehill29
    Lottiehill29 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Hi Ladies!

I first went to the doctor when I was 13 as I had irregular periods - they told me to lose weight.
    I was diagnosed when I was 16 and again told to lose weight.
    I tried every diet, every exercise and the weight wouldn't shift.
    No matter how much I worked out I could not lose a single pound.
    I had never once been given any advice on why I wasn't able to lose weight.
    It wasn't until I went to an Assisted Reproduction Unit where they explained about insulin resistance and the impact that can have on losing weight. Finally someone was actually offering real help!
    They have prescribed me Metformin which is in order to help with the insulin resistance.
    Since being on those tablets and continuning to exercise regularly and watch my food intake, I have been able to lose 7lb within my first month of taking them.

It's easy for doctors to say 'lose weight' because they always choose the easy options first.
    But if you're like me and you have done nothing but diet and exercise since you were 16 (almost 10 years) and there has been little or no change in your weight, then go to your doctor and ask them about metformin.
  • darcey9101
    darcey9101 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Hi my name is Darcey, I was diagnosed with pcos last year at 21. My doctor said it went undiagnosed because I was a healthy size at 124lbs but when I gained a lot of weight I would be in agony with cramps so bad I would feel physically sick so I was sent for an ultrasound where they diagnosed pcos. I have always struggled with my weight but managed to stay at a regular weight between the age of 17 - 19 and then I piled it on for some reason. I'm so glad I have people that understand how difficult weight control can be with pcos :-)
  • eazieske
    eazieske Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    HI, MY NAME IS EUNICE AND I HAVE NOT BEEN DIAGNOSED WITH PCOS YET BUT I KNOW I HAVE IT BECAUSE I DO HAVE MULTIPULE CYCTS AND NOT GET MY PERIOD AND IT SUPPER HARD FOR ME TO GET PREGNAT... SO DO YOU THINK IF I LOSE A BIG AMOUNT OF WEIGHT THIS COULD GO AWAY? THATS WHAT ALOT OF DOCTORS TELL ME THAT THE REASON I CANT GET PREGNAT IS BECAUSE OF MY WEIGHT I HAVE BEEN IGNORING THEM CAUSE I SEE ALOT OF BIGGER WOMEN THAN ME HAVING KIDS LIKE CRAZY!!! SORRY !!! ALSO DO YOU KNOW IF SEVER MODE CHANGES ARE ONE OF THE SYMTOMS? CAUSE I SOMETIMES CAN'T STAND MY HUSBAND!! AND I AM VERY EMOTIONAL ALL THE TIME!!! PLEASE IF SOME ONE KNOW PLEASE LET ME KNOW THANK YOU IN ADVANCE!!!
  • iamconch
    iamconch Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, I can’t believe for the first time I stumbled on a support group for PCOS you don’t know the joy I have to know I will have someone to talk to about this and help push each other along. Like many of you I was told “don’t worry” when I never started my menstrual cycle and “LOSE WEIGHT” by every single doctor I have seen since my teens:sad: . It didn’t matter what I made the appointment for it always ended at “you need to lose weight”:noway: . I am 33 and have all the symptoms, overweight, no cycle, hair on face & tummy, acne, mood swings and I cannot have a baby. I married my wonderful husband at 29 and have been trying to get pregnant ever since, it’s so hard (heartbreaking):brokenheart: when all my family/friends keep asking “when are you going to have a baby”. NO ONE understands how painful it is to answer that question. I have gotten no help from doctors only one obgyn prescribed metformin but the side effects (diarrhea):sick: is terrible I stop using it. You all have given me motivation and I look forward to talking to you all soon…Maria :flowerforyou:
  • ducktasim
    ducktasim Posts: 13
    Options
    I have had issues with my cycle when I first got my period at 9, early starter.

I was always in so much pain, when I turned 16 I finally was able to see a gyno, (after going through several who were just plain rude)
    I was diagnosed with endometrosis and PCOS :cry:

over the years I have tried almost everything to lose weight and for a while I gave up.
    But now my partner and I are wanting a baby, no luck, it is the most heart breaking thing in the world, iamconch.. I feel your pain, everyone I know has kids, and they just do not understand the heart break behind it all, the stress, the thoughts that go through your head, not sure if I'm along in this, but I feel I am not fullfilling my roll as a woman, simply because of me, we cant have a family/

and to have people try to make you feel better by saying things like, oh you dont know how lucky you are to not have diapers to change or to wake up during the night.... no I dont, thanks for the reminder, the comments of people they happen to know who have taken a vitamin and BAM pregnant... not realizing that we have tried everything physically and mentally possible to have children, the ever classic comment from your friend who HAS kids.... I know just how you feel, then the magical maybe your not meant to have kids..

sorry ladies having a bit of a vent also....

this is basically my last ditch mega effort, to lose as much weight as possible to give my body the best chance possible to conceive a baby, we are so close to needing IVF, but its so expensive and we have been told that they cant even guarantee that it will work for us, I just want to be able to have a family with my partner..... I will do anything to be able to have our family.

Nature might still say no, even after losing weight, (an unfortunate realization of how difficult it is even at the ideal weight)
    but where nature might fail, science will prevail...... positive thinking
  • KellyLouise35
    Options
    I think if we all pull together and get started on a fat kicking group between us we can encourage each other, and talk to each other.

Feel free to create a post about anything you wish ladies! This group is for you and for you to have support from fellow PCOS women as you don't seem to get it from else where!

LADIES.. WE CAN DO THISSSS! :)
  • KellyLouise35
    Options
    Hi newbie here!
    I was diagnosed with PCOS when i was 19 (i am 31 now) and was only getting AF around 3 times a year. After many years of being on the pill i am now trying to conceive and so far no joy although my periods are now regular and i am ovulating every month.

I need to lose about 20lb and finding it very difficult to shift the post wedding poundage!

KellyLouise35 - have you tried any supplements such as Vitex (Agnus Castus) or Inositol? :smile:

Sorry for the delayed reply.

I hope that you can conceive soon! Congratulations on your wedding too!

20lbs will hopefully feel like nothing once you get going.

No I haven't I have the doctors this evening (now something is actually being done) to go through all the medication and the best plan for me.

I'll keep you up to date and I'll let you know if I have to have these?

Have you used them? And what was they like when you used them? :happy:
  • EWhitaker526
    EWhitaker526 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Hey Everyone! I'm gonna make this short and sweet, Diagnosed with PCOS in July of 2011 after 4 months with no periods. Went on BC for a few months. Got married in December of 2011 and went off BC, still no periods. About 3 months ago I decided to get my butt in gear and I have lost 22 pounds so far. After losing 18 pounds I had my first period without medication in over a year and a half. I feel like I'm about to start again which would make it a regular cycle as I'm at CD 30. Haven't been trying to concieve yet, trying to lose some more weight first but I have a lot more faith now that I'm ovulating on my own now! I started at 194lbs, and at 176lbs I had my period. Ladies you can do this! Good luck to all!!
  • KellyLouise35
    Options
    EWhitaker526 Thank you for your support! We hope that you keep us all up to date on your progress! :smile:
  • reevesml
    reevesml Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    My name is Megan, friends call me Megs. I have had PCOS for 14 years. I am a 26 year old nursing student. My doctor diagnosed me a few days before my 12th birthday and at that age I read all the things I couldn't do and what could go wrong and basically said screw it I am going to end up like this I might as well just go the way I want to. Now morbidly obese I wish I could shake me!! But I am happy I have found others who are fight PCOS like I am now.
  • naturalbeautyisme55
    Options
    Hi Ladies,

I am so glad I have found a group to help me along this PCOS journey. Although I have not been diagnosed, I have all of the symptoms; multiple cysts, facial hair, no periods and unable to lose weight. Like many of you the doctors keep telling me to lose weight and i'm looking at them like........."What don't you understand, I'm trying!!! About 10 years ago, I gained about 50 lbs in 2 years, although I have always been very active, I did not understand what was going on. I saw doctor several times, yet again no answers. Over the past year I have pushed myself to lose as much weight as I possibly can. It is very frustrating to lose 1lb a month and my friends are losing 5+. Many people don't know how difficult that is. I am recently re-married and would like to start having children next year so now and am going beyond to do what I have to do to get my body regular. I know somethings are out of our hands but i'm going to keep faith and know I can beat this.
  • AmberSmith0924
    AmberSmith0924 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi Ladies!!!

I am so glad I came across this board!!! My name is Amber and I was recently diagnosed with PCOS about 2 months ago. I am wanting to lose about 30 lbs. I was lucky if I seen AF at least once a year. I recently have gotten married and we aren't wanting to start a family anytime soon but I want to be able too whenever we feel the time is right. I don't want to be on BC anymore just to regulate my cycle either. So that is when I decided to lose the weight. I have had a constant struggle dieting and trying to lose weight over the past 3 years. I am looking forward to learning new things from you all during my journey.
  • OldvsNew
    OldvsNew Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hello Girls!!!

I need help! I was diagnosed Insulin Resistant and PCOS years ago and like all of you they like to chock it up to being over-weight! I'm tired of the diagnosis without any "help" or instructions other then LOSE WEIGHT! I'm fed up and angry!

I am new to the group and would love to hear from you all about the things that you have accomplished since joining and beggining this journey, months ago.

I have picked up the book the Metabolism Miracle and am wondering if any of you have read it or tried it out!

Thanks for the opportunity to surround myself with women "like" me, who struggle and fight for every DAMN pound that is lost!!

Jolene