Should I throw out my old clothes?

Options
operator646
operator646 Posts: 155 Member
HI everyone!
I know experts tell you not to save larger sizes after weight loss. In the past I always saved them and sure enough got back into them and even out grew some. Now that I have the sleeve I have already gone down from a size 30 to an 18, but still have a long way to go. I just don't know if I should save some of the sizes just in case. After reading about so many people regaining and knowing that I am already finding it more difficult to stay on track, I am doubting my ability to lose much more and keeping if off.
I guess I am somewhat afraid of failing. I appreciate all of your input.
P.S. I forgot to mention that I am a clothes fanatic. I can never have enough or too many, so parting with them in any circumstance is difficult. However, I need room to organize my new stuff.

Replies

• actg95
    actg95 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I think this is a personal decision, but personally, I don't want the ease of slipping back into the old sizes. I am donating all of my old clothes -- I have already donated several sizes and have several more to give. For me, I look at this as an opportunity to help someone out less fortunate - even my church thrift store discounts the prices so people can afford things -- and all the money is donated back into the community, not into the church budget.

If it is hard, maybe keep one set, like if you are in 18, have 20's for your peace of mind. Everything above - give and give freely so you aren't tempted to find yourself in them again.

Just my two cents! In addition, CONGRATULATIONS! That is an awesome job you have done!
  • jaxkarin
    jaxkarin Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Yes!

Keep a few pieces you love but throw the rest away. You don't need them and, although I haven't read about people putting weight on, are you really gonna put ALL those 97lbs on again? Could you perhaps be giving yourself permission to regain SO much weight by keeping your old clothes? You might gain a little because of flunctuation but you're never going to be that old you, not only because you will have learnt different habits but because you won't let yourself go back to that after all the stuff you have gone through.

And of course it will mean you have loads of space for your new clothes!

Jacqueline x
  • lanip00h
    lanip00h Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I think you should give them ALL away to another vsg'er who could fit them. I believe by you giving/throwing them away it is a symbol that you have faith and confidence in yourself that you will not gain the weight back and you will not need those old, baggy clothes again. Losing weight with the sleeve is a process. I had to go through psychology appointments and still am going to talk about things. Get rid of that excess baggage! And don't for a minute doubt yourself. You can do it and keep it off!
  • operator646
    operator646 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I think you are probably right. I just am doubting myself because I have stumbled a bit. I am commited to being successful on this journey, but It is getting a little harder than I imagined.
    I just went back to see the psychologist that oversaw my pre-op diet and I hope it will help like it did back then.
    Thanks
  • spfldpam
    spfldpam Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I kept one pair of pants to have that are a 3XL as just a reminder of where I was a Feb 2012. I took alot of mine to the consignment shops here in town and made money off mine. What they didn't take I donated to the local domestic violence women's shelter and my WLS support group Spring and Fall clothing swap. Just went through the summer too big clothes to take the consignment store soon again. I will have fall/winter ones to take when Sept/Oct hits. I made over $250 on my too big clothes and used the money to buy smaller clothes at Goodwill and Salvation Army and new bras/undies, new pjs.
    Don't throw them out, someone can use them. If not consigning them, donate to your local DV women's shelter or Salvation Army. I used to donate to Goodwill but I read how much those people make that are the head honchos and stopped. Salvation Army is a better place to donate I feel.
  • shelleyjo1970
    shelleyjo1970 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Heck yes you should..... Well at least give them away. I had surgery in december and I have lost 72 pounds. I went from a size 22 to a 14 in 12 weeks. Focus on the future and not on the past. I have a size 7 pair of pants in my closet and I use them as a goal. Good luck and much seccsess.
  • melbogg
    melbogg Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Heck yes you should..... Well at least give them away. I had surgery in december and I have lost 72 pounds. I went from a size 22 to a 14 in 12 weeks. Focus on the future and not on the past. I have a size 7 pair of pants in my closet and I use them as a goal. Good luck and much seccsess.

GOOD FOR YOU!!
    I have a pair of size 12 white TH jeans hanging for my next goal (wore on my first date with my husband)
  • digitaljdr
    digitaljdr Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Contact your surgeons office they usually have a clothing swap setup - I know mine does.

Or just donate them to goodwill / salvation army.

If your looking for money you could try posting them on craigslist or http://www.reddit.com/r/weightlossclothes/

I keep one pair of everything that I used to wear just as a reminder.
  • stratusphr
    stratusphr Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    HI everyone!
    I know experts tell you not to save larger sizes after weight loss. In the past I always saved them and sure enough got back into them and even out grew some. Now that I have the sleeve I have already gone down from a size 30 to an 18, but still have a long way to go. I just don't know if I should save some of the sizes just in case. After reading about so many people regaining and knowing that I am already finding it more difficult to stay on track, I am doubting my ability to lose much more and keeping if off.
    I guess I am somewhat afraid of failing. I appreciate all of your input.
    P.S. I forgot to mention that I am a clothes fanatic. I can never have enough or too many, so parting with them in any circumstance is difficult. However, I need room to organize my new stuff.

We were told at the seminar prior to surgery to get rid of everything except ONE item of clothing, so you will remember. I went into this knowing it would be the last time I lost weight and there was no going back. I donated everything except one pair of white denim shorts, size 20. Two of me can fit in them now! Gone and forgotten, I don't have room for the new stuff AND the old. Two different people, two different styles! Good riddance!