I'm gluten intolerant - Not a Celiac

Options
I'm fortunate enough not to have the severe reactions to gluten that Celiac's have to deal with, but I know that I am definitely intolerant. A few months ago I did a test, self administered. I went gluten free for a month to see what would happen. It was amazing. My back pain had all but disappeared, my general aches and pains were gone, and my mood and energy were running on much higher levels. Not to mention, the overall benefit to my diet. But after the test was over I found myself missing my old foods. My kids were still eating the usual stuff and I started picking at what they were eating more and more. Then the holiday's came and all thoughts of being gluten free went out the window.

This spring my mom will be moving in with me. She is gluten free, and has been for a year now. So, I will be making the switch back to gluten free to simplify my cooking process. And the rest of the family is going to be on board, whether they realize it or not. I'm actually looking forward to this. I know I will start feeling better again, and since I will be doing it for someone else, I won't feel guilty about also doing it for me.

So, I'm looking for some gluten free friends to help me stay on track, give me some tips and advice, and of course, help me stay motivated. In return, I will do the same. I am a research fanatic so I am happy to share whatever information I find :) Please feel free to send me a friend request, I will accept any and all who maintain a positive attitude about their journey. See you soon!

Replies

• amrie81
    amrie81 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I just joined this group today as well. I've been diagnosed as gluten intolerant as well. I had a test done at my doctor. I think being intolerant is a bit tricky because it's a good excuse to get off track, "Well, it's not like I"m allergic." Even though the intolerance still has some icky symptoms that present. Glad to have someone else in my boat. Good luck!
  • busybee507
    Options
    "Well, it's not like I"m allergic."

EXACTLY!!!
  • alaskaang
    alaskaang Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I completely understand and used the same to justify pizza, etc. BUT, just because it's only an intollerance doesn't mean that it can't be a significant impact or lead to a real issue later. The wake up call for me to get serious was my mom being diagnosed with hashimotos last year. Her doctor related it back to gluten intollerance. The upside is that by going gluten free her numbers have improved dramatically and she's been able to lower the amount of medication needed. I just keep reminding myself that I don't want to be truly ill later.
  • busybee507
    Options
    I'm so happy to hear that your mom is doing better without the gluten! That is fantastic!
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    You know, the researchers are still trying to figure out whether there is truly a difference between celiac and non-celiac gluten intolerance. There is so much we don't yet know. Do you really want to risk damage to your gut, nervous system, thyroid, etc.? You want to increase your risk of diabetes, cancer, etc.?

Just say "no" to gluten! Don't take the chance.
  • tklaing
    tklaing Posts: 20
    Options
    I have had a similar journey with gluten. Went off it for about 3 weeks, felt MUCH better, then the holidays came, I gave in to family and tradition ... Felt terrible again. I have now been gluten free just over one month. I am doing much better ! My symptoms are: allergies, joint pain, fatigue, "flu like" symptoms, headaches, etc...
    Almost everything has been at least reduced, but I know from what I have heard it will probably take a few more months to really feel better.
  • busybee507
    Options
    The rate the information is changing in regards to the effects of gluten is staggering. I am fortunate to have the time to dig into it on a daily basis so I keep up on most of it. But I admit, getting off it entirely has been difficult. Right now my goal is to be 100% gluten free by April 1st. I have a large family so an overnight switch is not affordable, and unrealistic. I've been weaning the kids off the pantry snacks and guiding them toward more fresh fruits and veggies. We've made a lot of progress and the outlook for my April 1st deadline is looking good!
  • Micahroni84
    Micahroni84 Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    I read in a magazine called Simply Gluten Free that going GF, finding that you do feel significantly healthier and then eating gluten again is not recommended because they think it can trigger autoimmune diseases.
  • vander7679
    vander7679 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I'm gluten intolerant and have been gluten free for about 8 months. Feel free to add me...anyone!
  • SwimSoccerTaxi
    SwimSoccerTaxi Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Just "diagnosed" as Gluten-Intolerant after sudden bouts of severe pain and bloating after consuming wheat products. I had a blood test to determine if I had Celiac Disease, that said, the blood tests are inconclusive, mine came back negative. I also have Hypothyroidism and I have read that because they are both auto-immune disorders they tend to both occur. To determine if I have to remain gluten-free I will have no gluten for 6 weeks (another 4 now) then "challenge" my system. It's been tough but to be honest I NEVER want to feel that discomfort again and wonder if I should even bother the challenge!!!
  • akaMrsmojo
    akaMrsmojo Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    Welcome to feeling better. My test were inconclusive as well. I would never go back, I was so sick for so ling. Good luck.
  • cnelson1974
    cnelson1974 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Welcome aboard! I'm Celiac and have been gluten-free since August 2012 (6 months). Add me if you'd like. :D
  • zorreena
    zorreena Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I'm gluten intolerant and I do eat gluten occasionally. Although I CANNOT tolerate any pasta. I get mildly bloated from small amounts of gluten.
  • simplyenough
    simplyenough Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I also tested negative for celiac. I was diagnosed as Gluten Intolerant in July. I have been gluten free since then. I know within the hour if I have had something with gluten. Headache, dry sinuses, bloated, abdominal pain, bathroom "issues". It is awful. I am feeling so much better since I have been gluten free.
  • jennybear4041
    Options
    This is me as well. My celiac test came back negative, but I feel so much better when I am not eating gluten. I do occasionally have small amounts of it without many problems. I'm also not the best at making sure that things aren't hiding a bit of gluten. It's the big servings of things like bread, pizza dough, cookies, etc that are no longer part of my life.
  • er1nya
    er1nya Posts: 87
    Options
    I grew up always getting sick after eating. I was "diagnosed" with IBS and tested negative for celiac. In November of 2011 I did the FODMAP test to see what my food allergy was- I gave up gluten, dairy and soy for a month and through that I realized that I was definitely intolerant to gluten. I am self-diagnosed gluten intolerant as well. All of my IBS symptoms are gone! Don't beat yourself up for falling off the wagon-- when I first tried to give up gluten cold turkey it was right before Thanksgiving- not a great time to make a huge lifestyle change. I committed in January 2012 and haven't intentionally ate gluten since!

Now if I eat gluten by accident I will know it immediately. Like, get out of my way I have to run to the bathroom NOW and I will feel run down and bloated for days after. Interestingly, non-wheat beers don't do that to me, though I feel bloated the next day. I love beer and have been a grad student, so I can't exactly afford gluten free beers regularly. Heineken, Corona, Bud light don't make me feel sick at all! But I'd still like to phase them out because I get bloated the next day. So I need help too! You can do it!
  • fancyladyJeri
    fancyladyJeri Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I too am gluten intolerant as well egg and dairy. I feel so much better eliminating these foods. No more headache, leg pains, IBS, more energy, etc., etc. I am not tempted to go back. When I inadvertently eat something it affects me.

Add me if you wish. I log in daily and can offer suggestions or advice.

Jeri
  • YvonneLaRose
    YvonneLaRose Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hello, I'm a newbie, and like you am not Celiac but am not able to get any satisfaction from Drs about my tummy issues.
    Decided to try GF diet so am researching madly to have a better understanding..
    Will get all ingredients to make my own bread cos of the high costs to buy made bread.
    I'm also trying to fit GF diet into MFP, so have a bit of a job at the moment.
    Looking for all sorts of ideas....:smile:
    Ohh and I live in Australia
  • fancyladyJeri
    fancyladyJeri Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Hello, I'm a newbie, and like you am not Celiac but am not able to get any satisfaction from Drs about my tummy issues.
    Decided to try GF diet so am researching madly to have a better understanding..
    Will get all ingredients to make my own bread cos of the high costs to buy made bread.
    I'm also trying to fit GF diet into MFP, so have a bit of a job at the moment.
    Looking for all sorts of ideas....:smile:
    Ohh and I live in Australia

Because I can't have milk or eggs, I make my own bread. My feeling about gluten free baking is that you need to cook by weight.

Here is a link to the weight in grams of the various flours. http://realfoodmadeeasy.ca/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/glutenfree-flours-volume-weight.pdf Here's a link to making gluten free baking mixes: http://glutenfreegirl.com/how-to-make-a-gluten-free-all-purpose-flour-mix/

There are many good recipes on the web and by cooking by weight, you can substitute different flours. One of my favorite blogs The Gluten Free Girl and the Chef

Have a great evening

Jeri
  • jennybear4041
    Options
    I 2nd the nod to Gluten Free Girl and the Chef.

I'm also a big fan of things found out Gluten Free on a Shoestring.

We very rarely buy GF items in the store such as cookies or bread. I found that making them ourselves is both cheaper and tastes better. We normally buy bulk flours/starches from nuts.com or, if we are out and need something quickly, I'll use Better Batter.

I have to watch my overall carb intake, so GF can be hard because most GF items are actually more carbs that wheat. So I have a tendency to just not eat a lot of bread/pasta in general.