C-section moms: Incision pain?

Options
VelociMama
VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
I'm 3 weeks PP, and my internal incision seems to be getting rather sore. I didn't feel it much at the end of last week, but I still tried to take I fairly easy though I did do more walking than usual. Over the last couple days, my internal incision has been getting more and more sore instead of less so, and my belly has gotten a little more puffy Is this normal? Should I call my doc's office?

Replies

• lovelyrose11
    lovelyrose11 Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    It is normal to have some soreness in the early weeks. The extra walking may have made it a bit worse. But, I have had 2 c-sections and I didn't really have much puffiness or swelling in the area. If it continues to be sore and puffy I would see the Dr. Chances are everything is just fine, but we did have major surgery and it is always better to be on the safe side!
  • wicklc
    wicklc Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    You may have over done it a bit on the exercise so soon- people have torn their incisions open or the inner incisions that's why they say to wait 6 weeks ( I was super impatient too and started exercising ASAP) I'd call your doctor to be safe
  • ChelseaAClanton89
    ChelseaAClanton89 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Yes..I'm 25 weeks postpartum and my incision still hurts sometimes.
  • sbilyeu75
    sbilyeu75 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I'm 13 months PP from an emergency C-section. It took several months to not have pain after exercising. Even now, I still have some tenderness if I do a lot of ab work. It tends to be more sensitive right before my period.
  • TheNewStacie
    TheNewStacie Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    My Dr. had a very good point when I would ask what is normal. He said your body has been rearranging itself inside for the past 9 months, between the surgery, hormones, and just normal post-partum it's going to take a couple months for your body to get back to normal.

I just had my 2nd c-section, the first one was horrible I had been through 29 hrs of labor and stress before the surgery, so my recovery took forever and became infected as well. This one was planned and I was surprised and how much easier it was to get up, it was still hard to get into the car and bed, and of course up and down. Internally I felt sore and some burning sensations for a couple weeks. About week 4 there was also a pocket of fluid underneath the incision that needed to escape.

My rule of thumb is trust your body, if you think something is wrong then call, but if you're unsure give it a day or so and then go from there. Hope you feel better soon!
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to say "thank you" to everyone who replied. My incision got progressively more sore and started to get puffy so I went to the ER last night (couldn't get ahold of the OB who did my operation yesterday). They didn't think it was infected but gave me a round of antibiotics anyway and put me on bedrest for 5 days. The ER doc thinks I might have pulled a little too hard in that area while trying to sit up or do something which led to some edema and pain in the area. :(

I gotta say that this recovery is very frustrating for me. I'm so used to going and doing as I please, so being in bed or resting so much is difficult and mentally taxing also. I guess I just need to suck it up and make myself rest as much as possible.

Thanks again everyone for the encouragement and informative replies.
  • College_Mamaof2
    College_Mamaof2 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I was VERY sore for a good 6 weeks after my c-section and had occasional pain well into the 6th month post-partum, everything was normal.
  • tinawolak2
    tinawolak2 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I have had a total of 3 c-sections and I can honestly say that in between my middle son who is 13 and youngest son who is 7 months and I had pain all the way through the 13 years at some point or another. My doctor told me that as my weight went up and down that the scar tissue that was in there was streching either way by expanding or shrinking and that my body was extra sensitive in that area. it will get easier though as time goes on.