Fatigue and Food?

Options
Hiya,

I wondered if any of you find that your pain causes you massive amounts of fatigue, and if so, how you deal with it?

In the past I have reached for sugary snacks to give me enough of a boost to get over the thing I need to do (drive home from work, cook dinner etc.), but this has rather got me where I am today!

I understand ideally pacing is key to most things, but sometimes life gets in the way a bit. Woking in particular makes it hard to stop and have a little nap mid afternoon and the kids can't cook themselves tea yet.

I guess I need high energy, low calorie quick snacks to just get me over the hump until I can collapse - I thought of bananas, but I'm not a massive fan. It needs to be quick, easy and portable - any bright ideas?

Looking forward to getting to know you all a little bit :)

Replies

• fitgirl4x48
    fitgirl4x48 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I have fibromyalgia so I can totally relate. I drink a smart drink which I'm not going to specifically name since it would be like promoting something, and that's not what this about. But I do find that it gives me the energy I need in a natural way and is only 18 calories per drink. Food-wise, I suggest apples, cherry tomatoes, protein bars (LUNA are great, and lower cal) grapes, watermelon pre-cut, I love having food with me, that way I'm always in control :)

Best of luck & hang in there!
  • SStruthers13
    SStruthers13 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I have fibro as well and chocolate super speeds me up. When I need to keep going I eay 4 mini peanut butter cups and they give me a boost for a couple of hours. Not ideal I know and I only do it once a week at the most. Life has to go on sometimes and in the end those 160 calories aren't going to hurt. I say find what works for you and if it is not unhealthy and does not undermine your progress go for it.
  • lhulewsky
    lhulewsky Posts: 50
    Options
    What is a smart drink? Not sure I've ever heard of that. I'm not asking you to promote a brand but I'm very curious about what that is exactly. Thanks...
  • Kaddehawk
    Kaddehawk Posts: 12
    Options
    A high protein energy bar may help, I find protein helps me more than sugar. With Fibro a lot is trial and error, often (at least in my case) more on the error side. But over time you learn to listen to your body and find what works best for you. I also use an energy tab that I buy at the dollar store. Its mostly herbal but does have caffeine in it. (hmm, if caffeine an herb? lol) The catch to that is the Ginseng whose effect can not be predicted. It is a "normalizer" which means what ever it feels your body needs most it will give you. If you need sleep it may make you sleepy instead of perking you up. Weird, but oh well.
  • creaky_girl
    creaky_girl Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies, sorry I haven't responded in so long!

I'm intruigued by a smart drink, I've had a bit of a google and I can't seem to work out what they are - at least, not in the UK. Some of the US sites seem to make a bit more sense, but they aren't available here!

Ive been trying glucose tabs which have helped a little bit, they are about 16 cals I think which appear to get me over a little hump till I can eat somehting a bit better. Ginsing sounds a bit like I need a less urgent time to try it out - I know I need more rest already!! Hehe!

I shall give all the other suggestions a go though - willing to try almost anything within reason!

Thanks!
  • ValkyrieWrath
    Options
    I try to avoid processed things like energy bars and such, I want to lose weight too but I know health wise I'm not nec. doing myself a favor. Not that I'm lazy, but it's easy for me to gain LOL Fruit would better.

I've been taking a one-a-day multivitman to cut back on flares and pain, but its really help me for that boost too since it contains a good amount of B-12 and B-6%'s.

Fruits such as strawberries, and black cherries are know to help inflammation so you might try a smoothie of something like that or just cut pieces and call it good. I found welchs has a black cherry dark grape fruit juice and I love that with a mix of strawberries and blueberries (superfoods!)

Hope you find something that works for you! Good luck! :)
  • fit4lifeUcan2
    fit4lifeUcan2 Posts: 1,458 Member
    Options
    I have fibro and MS and found that no one food or drink helps. I do find that avoiding processed foods helps me with most of my pain. The only way I get through the fatigue is with my one cup of coffee and fighting through it. I have to force myself to keep going. Believe me its not easy.
  • jenns1964
    jenns1964 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I worked as a receptionist in a pediatrics group where most of the employees were overweight and/or just had nutritionally poor diets. The doctor I worked for always suggested a low fat protein snack like low fat string cheese or even a handful of nuts to get our energy up instead of a sugary, caffeine filled Starbucks drink. I have followed that advice for the past couple of years and it has made a world of difference. I do notice my fatigue is much better when I do keep my protein high during the day. And, I drink lots of water.
  • joybedford
    joybedford Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    I find sugar makes me worse I get depressed and lack motivation I also suffer more pain when my diet isnt so great. My diet has been less has than ideal these past few days and i can really tell in my mood and everything, will get back on track tomorrow.
  • jacie87
    jacie87 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    My favorite little snack right now is a mix of fresh peanut butter (check in the bulk aisle of a local grocery store to see if they offer this!), granola with raisins, and a few sugar free chocolate chips. Protein, plus a little fibre to fill you up, and some sweet! Doesn't have to be refrigerated, so just pack a spoon and you can keep it in your bag. :)