When to buy my dress??

Options
My wedding is May 17th I haven't bought my dress yet. I was going to buy it at the beginning of february from maybe davids bridal. If I do that i can just buy it there and not have to wait for it to be ordered. I wanna be 15 pounds lighter before I buy my wedding dress. Is this a bad plan???

Replies

• andonsmama
    Options
    David's is where i bought my dress, 10 months before the wedding, They said they could take it in 2 sizes and still be good.
    I couldn't wait to try on dresses! plus my mother was in town at the time and i wanted her to shop with me.
    i think Feb- May is a good time. my sister bought hers there in Jan for a March wedding and there was a big rush to get the dress and alterations done in time.

this is my dress:

http://www.davidsbridal.com/Product_Charmeuse-Side-Drape-Gown-with-Sash-WG3026

i didnt want the traditional dress :happy:
  • stephcthomas
    stephcthomas Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    You might be pushing it. I ordered my dress in November for my wedding March 9th. That was pushing it. It will be in for the end of January so that will give me enough time for alterations, however I was pretty close to having to pay an extra 5% to have it rush order.
  • Amara15
    Amara15 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I ordered mine the first week of december for an august 31st wedding. And they told me i was pushing it! they said mine takes 6-8 months to arrive.
  • KMRose1788
    KMRose1788 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I am going dress shopping on Jan 19 for a August 17 wedding. I am pushing it, I know already! I wanted to put it off until i was at my goal weight, I am about 10 lbs from that, so I am going to do it anyways. I can take it in after it gets here.
  • SoonToBeMrs42713
    Options
    David's might be able to pull it off, but generally speaking you're pushing it. I ordered my dress in June and it arrived in October (not at DB though). However my moh/maids are getting their dresses from DB and they told me today to order no later than 1/15 for my 4/27 wedding.
  • skinnybearlyndsay
    skinnybearlyndsay Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    I actually bought my dress yesterday. :bigsmile: I have until at least mid April to change the size since the size ordered was pinned at least an inch when I tried it on.

ETA: This is my dress - http://www.alfredangelo.com/collections/productdisplay.aspx?productID=d894f02b-6672-4c4f-85e3-ecca37c22531&categoryID=32e5a88c-cbf1-498f-afcf-dbfca138c5d3&pg=3&colorId1=
  • amandaose
    Options
    That might be pushing it my wedding is June 15th and I bought my dress is August. I will just be coming in sometime the first week of Feb. Usually they take awhile to come in and you need to consider fitting and alteration times into that as well. If you buy it off the rack you might be ok but I would go soon for that. They can always take a dress in up to 2 sizes.
  • bootsandfros
    bootsandfros Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I ordered mine the first week of december for an august 31st wedding. And they told me i was pushing it! they said mine takes 6-8 months to arrive.

i honestly believe that is a lie they tell you to push you to buy the dress right away. i went to two different stores for the same dress a couple months apart and basically was two different times. one said 6-8 and the other 4-6. when i first started looking 10 months out i was told 8-10.
  • boom1186
    Options
    I purchased my dress on Sept. 21, 2012 exactly one year before my wedding. They told me that it wouldn't be in until at least May but more likely June.
  • Chocolate_Queen
    Chocolate_Queen Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Whenever you buy it, it is sensible to tell the shop that your wedding is a little earlier than it is. The last thing you want is to be panicking about it being there or not.

Personally, I started looking about 10 months before the wedding, but didn't buy anything for another month or so.

x
  • Thinknight
    Thinknight Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Ordered mine at the start of Nov and the wedding is in July. I have since lost 19lbs but the dress (arriving in April) was tight on the day and the shop suggested i could go up a size but I stuck to my guns. So still want to lose a bit more, so you might want to do what I did and buy a dress a little too tight (just a bit!) It arrives in April and will then need alterations etc...if you have to order it do it soon!

Congrats on being a 2013 bride :)
  • stephcthomas
    Options
    My wedding is May 17th I haven't bought my dress yet. I was going to buy it at the beginning of february from maybe davids bridal. If I do that i can just buy it there and not have to wait for it to be ordered. I wanna be 15 pounds lighter before I buy my wedding dress. Is this a bad plan???

Did you get your dress yet? I'm curious. My dress that I ordered in October was supposed to be in by end of Jan, it didn't come in until a 3rd way through Feb, 2 weeks before my wedding. The shop I ordered from is great. It really depends on the designer you're ordering from, they are generally making your dress to order.
  • stephcthomas
    Options
    I actually bought my dress yesterday. :bigsmile: I have until at least mid April to change the size since the size ordered was pinned at least an inch when I tried it on.

ETA: This is my dress - http://www.alfredangelo.com/collections/productdisplay.aspx?productID=d894f02b-6672-4c4f-85e3-ecca37c22531&categoryID=32e5a88c-cbf1-498f-afcf-dbfca138c5d3&pg=3&colorId1=

My dress was Alfred Angelo too! Very beautiful, I like the beading on the top.