Squats Only?

Options
Hi folks. I'm currently concentrating on cardio since I bought a new bike and really want to build up my endurance so I can cycle to work.

I'm also interested in building up my core strength and balance, (not to mention get stronger and lose weight) would doing sqauts only several times a week be beneficial to me? I don't want to start a full strength program at the moment. Any advice on the subject would be amazing so thank you in advance!

Replies

• dstromley1
    dstromley1 Posts: 165
    Options
    Hi folks. I'm currently concentrating on cardio since I bought a new bike and really want to build up my endurance so I can cycle to work.

I'm also interested in building up my core strength and balance, (not to mention get stronger and lose weight) would doing sqauts only several times a week be beneficial to me? I don't want to start a full strength program at the moment. Any advice on the subject would be amazing so thank you in advance!

Squats deffinatly will build your core. I dont no if id squat more than twice a week tho. Its a pretty demanding exercise, But if your a begginer and not using a lot of weight i think you could probably get away with it/
  • ScottThomasM
    Options
    Twice a week sounds fine since I want to concentrate on my cycling. I have a barbell and free weights but I have no idea the best way to measure how much I should be lifting and I've heard that proper form is the key and I have no idea what proper form is exactly.
  • dstromley1
    dstromley1 Posts: 165
    Options
    check out you tube or bodybuilding.com. Form is HUGE. Especially on squats. Main thing is to keep you back nutral or even slightly arched stick your *kitten* out and go as close to paralell as possible, Rep ranges and weights all depend on what your goals are, I usualy train my legs in 10-15 rep range
  • tross0924
    tross0924 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    When you're pedaling up hill, and your pulling yourself down onto the pedals that's a lot of back. Try adding some pull ups and chin ups, maybe some Pendlay rows.
  • ScottThomasM
    Options
    When you're pedaling up hill, and your pulling yourself down onto the pedals that's a lot of back. Try adding some pull ups and chin ups, maybe some Pendlay rows.

Sadly I don't have access to an area where I can install a pull-up bar in my home and I'm not willing to join a gym at the moment. Pendlay Rows I can do.
  • Amazing1985RSD
    Options

Sadly I don't have access to an area where I can install a pull-up bar in my home and I'm not willing to join a gym at the moment. Pendlay Rows I can do.

Even for one of these?

http://www.amazon.com/Bars-Strength-Training-Equipment/b?ie=UTF8&node=3408471
  • ScottThomasM
    Options

Even for one of these?

The issue with the pull-up bar isn't lack of space to install one it's lack of personal space to use one.
  • mrdjmo
    mrdjmo Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Why not 3 times a week?

Monday - Wednesday - Friday for exmaple I do this as part of my 5x5 workout
  • buckystars
    buckystars Posts: 129 Member
    Options

Is there a park nearby with children's play equipment? Monkey bars!
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    Yeah, no need to balance out the rest of your body. Just do squats.
    fe6877e5c13f250d471b17325323429c_zps553b98e3.jpg
    :laugh:
  • j75j75
    j75j75 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    :laugh: :laugh:
    Yeah, no need to balance out the rest of your body. Just do squats.
    fe6877e5c13f250d471b17325323429c_zps553b98e3.jpg
    :laugh:
  • j75j75
    j75j75 Posts: 854 Member
    Options

Even for one of these?

The issue with the pull-up bar isn't lack of space to install one it's lack of personal space to use one.

Find a park nearby, they usually have all kinds of bars, and if you are lucky maybe even some rings. Cycling already works out your quads a lot, and if you bike uphill a lot that's a lot of lower back work. So maybe you should limit squatting to once a week until you feel like you can handle more. Should probably incorporate a day for the upper body as well...