Raw Vegan Recipes?

Options
Hello fellow vegans! Hope your weekend was filled with fun! After much talking; my husband and I have decided to try out being raw vegans...but...I'm not very creative and need some good raw vegan recipes.

Any suggestions/websites? I've found Addicted to Veggies but I'm looking for some other recipes as well!

<3

Replies

• digitalchique
    digitalchique Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    There's a lot good recipes out there and I think its worth looking into some recipe books. What tools do you have? With a high speed blender you can make any number of sauces, soups, Smoothies, and ice cream. I have a champion juicer which will make juice, but also raw nutbutters and homemade sorbet! With a dehydrator like the excaliber you can dry fruit, "bake" crackers, cookies, and all sorts of stuff.

Of course you can get by without those things too, they just offer more options that emulate cooked foods. Use a wide piece of lettuce and stuff it with your choice of produce and a raw sauce like guacomole or hummus made with zucchinni instead of chickpeas. Apples and raw nutbutter, salads of all sorts, at places like whole foods you can find all sorts of pre packaged raw food too.
  • speedy001
    speedy001 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I haven't got the recipe but I have eaten it and it was amazing so I am sure you can find the recipe on the net and it is a chocolate mousse made from avocado and it was brilliant! I find a completely raw diet a challenge but will eat at least one meal a day raw and for convenience its usually lunch and salad.
  • KarCrib
    KarCrib Posts: 39 Member
    Options
  • kirlia
    kirlia Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I hate to pimp my own blog, but I'm a raw foodist who loves to make food! hungrytooth.wordpress.com
  • newfitlily16
    Options
    It is quite simple enough to google simple raw vegan recipes. It seems that a dehydrator, a food processor, and a high quality blender are the must have kitchen utilities. However, you can do a lot with just a blender. Sauces, pestos, hummus, dressings, smoothies, etc.

Here is an ice cream alternative: grab and cut up frozen bananas, then blend.

green smoothies: grab green, grab fruit, pour water, then blend.
    ex) spinach, banana, and water.
    or ex) spinach, kale, cucumber, strawberries, banana, blueberries, water.

Good luck to you.
  • superbeacon
    Options
    Agreed with what lily^ said! Smoothies/juicing is really an easy way to go, especially for breakfast. I use avocado a lot in place of processed oils. It's quite versatile!

There are a lot of recipes on the Forks Over Knives website. This one in particular looks quite good and I want to give it a try tomorrow:

http://www.forksoverknives.com/veggie-wraps-with-herbed-hummus/

I do not much like eating big, leafy salads, so I trick myself by using my greens in other ways. I shred them to change their texture or use them as wraps. Finely grated cabbage is a favorite, as it can be used like a cous cous or risotto! A lovely technique is "massaging" greens with a toss of lemon juice and a tiny, tiny bit of sea salt; they look and taste "cooked." I don't like to use salt at all, normally, but for that preparation technique.

Good luck, and make sure you share the tasty ideas you come across!
  • doreedawn
    doreedawn Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    There is a book called "Practically Raw" that has great recipes for the beginning raw-foodist. The author even has alternative low-heat oven prep methods for those who haven't invested in a dehydrator yet.

If you learn to love salads and you've started making green smoothies you've already taken care of 2 meals a day. As long as you have a blender, you can come up with all sorts of sauces for noodles and salads and even make soups.

I'm going to go with the premise that a person doesn't have all the (sometimes expensive) appliances called for in raw recipes. Some hacks I learned were:
    If you have a veggie peeler you can make fettuccine like noodles from zucchini that lend themselves to all sorts of sauces and dressings.
    If you can't afford a Vita-mix uber-blender blend anything from lowest to highest speed giving a few moments for the consistency to adjust to what the motor can handle. Use celery/carrot to push your food into the blades. Be careful how long you run the motor as the friction of the spinning food generates heat and can warm up rather quickly.
    The size you cut your food into has a huge impact on the taste of the finished dish.
    Have stuff to eat prepared and on hand and bring snacks with you. pick one day a week, maybe, where you can devote some time to prepping things like crackers and zucchini hummus and maybe a few healthy sweets.

Look on Craigslist and in thrift-stores for an Excalibur dehydrator. I found mine, unused, at a thrift-store for $9. Juicers and blenders, too. People get on these trips then give up leaving great deals to be found.

I hope something here helps someone :)
  • cacleghorn
    cacleghorn Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    http://www.thisrawsomeveganlife.com/ is great!

Lately, I've been eating the Avocado Beet soup on there all the time. Currently, I'm eating a modified version of the Basil + Peanut Butter cookies with a banana ice cream.
    I modifiy every recipe I've made from this site, because I never have everything on hand, but it's a really good resource for ideas and flavor combinations.

Good luck. :) The best advice I ever read for trasitioning to a raw food diet is to, "focus on what you're adding." Don't try to cold-turkey it; just incorporate a little more raw produce each day, or a fun recipe as you desire. :)