RIP Junior Heffernan (23) :o(

Options
cloggsy71
cloggsy71 Posts: 2,208 Member
Another young rider dies at the hands of a motorist :cry:

Why this wasn't a 'closed' event (i.e. no traffic allowed) is anyone's guess...

http://www.bikeradar.com/road/news/article/rider-killed-in-collision-with-car-in-british-race-36615/

It can happen to any one of us at any given moment; let's be careful out there and watch out for idiots in cages!

Replies

• TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,682 Member
    Options
    Tragic incident, not really enough details out there as yet to say if/who would be at fault...

It's a fact though that very few races are actually held on closed roads mate - at most you get a "rolling roadblock" and marshalls with flags/whistles at critical corners - even at E/123 events. No cycling club can possibly afford the cost of blocking roads, paying for police presence on site to ensure compliance and all that... Even the mass-participation sportif's on closed roads only get a "window" where the road's closed - once you're passed by the broomwagon, you're fighting with the cars again.
  • cyclenut64
    cyclenut64 Posts: 154
    Options
    Sad story, we all have to be cautious. I was always concerned with people drinking and driving, so I rarely went out at night. Now the cell phone use and texting is the new epidemic. So 24/7 there is a threat of people just not paying attention. Or like on Saturday when the guy didn’t see me in my bright yellow wind breaker, as Cloggsy said he wasn’t looking for me so he didn’t see me.
  • TheGeordie
    Options
    I had an old chap over take 20 yards from a junction on the left and he proceeded to turn left as he passed me on saturday. Its scary how little attention and care drivers have on the road, the best thing I ever did was to ride on the road as now I adhere to the limits and give far more space and time than perhaps I previously would have as I appreciate just how scary it can be to be at the mercy of a 2 ton box wielded by blind fools.

RIP, another talented individual taken too soon. I hope it is not in vain and more people pay more attention due to the tragic event.
  • harksy
    harksy Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    A sad loss of a talented young cyclist & triathlete
    Rip