How many calories?

Hey ladies,

I wondered how many calories you are eating now your pregnant, or maybe you have given up counting all together?

Im currently on 1500 and its just not enough anymore so im going to have to increase it. How many are you on? x

Replies

• luzmidd
    luzmidd Posts: 154 Member
    Hi. Mine is set on maintenance, so thats about 1800 calories a day. Most days I average about 1700 calories. I don't really eat back my exercise calories which is about 200 a day. But if I'm hungry and it exceeds my daily calories, I'll just try and make a good choice with what I eat, like a salad and fruit, instead of carbs.
  • rosy003
    rosy003 Posts: 251 Member
    I am 25 weeks and I have mine set to gain 1/2 lb per week which works out to roughly 300 cal above maintenance.
  • Tattoos_and_Tea
    Tattoos_and_Tea Posts: 529 Member
    Thanks ladies.
    I have a problem with eating conveniance foods at the mo, like tinned shaghetti hoops - i just love them.
    I need to start eating better but I just dont want those sorts of foods, which is highly annoying.
    Help!
  • luzmidd
    luzmidd Posts: 154 Member
    I know what you mean! I want cinnamon buns! A lot of them, all the time! And mashed potatoes! So I allow myself those things, but only one a day, and if I eat mash, it must be part of my main meal, and will probably be my only starch for the day. I don't think you should deprive yourself if you crave something, coz then you will just go wild once you have it. Just limit the bad stuff and get enough of the good. Whatever you put into your mouth goes into your baby as well... That thought stops me from eating like crazy some days! And don't beat yourself up if you gorge, just eat better the next day!
  • Rubyayn
    Rubyayn Posts: 433 Member
    I hit my goal weight about 4 months before I got pregnant, so I was already eating at maintenence which is 2150 for me (5'4", 138) I work out 4-5 days per week and there is no way I would eat less than that. I also went by the Scooby calculator for TDEE because MFP puts me a lot lower number for maintenence.

I am looking forward to adding even more in the next trimester!!!
  • 1500 to 1600 a day (30 weeks pregnant). I've been told a number of different things by a number of different doctors. Nutritionist said a min of 1200, Family doctor was okay with 1500 while another doctor in the office asked me to try 1700. When I went into premature labor a few weeks ago, the doctor was completely satisfied with 1500 so I guess it really depends on who you ask.
  • Tattoos_and_Tea
    Thanks ladies, thats really useful information!

Mmmmm cinnamon buns!

ToFatToBeSick - Hope your little prem is doing well x
  • Thanks but they were able to stop my labor and I am still pregnant.
  • Tattoos_and_Tea
    Oh right! Thats alright then :) Hope your doing well!
  • Artemis726
    Artemis726 Posts: 587 Member
    32 weeks here and I eat between 1800-2000 everyday. I burn 2100-2300 a day according to my BodyMedia Fit. I rarely more, and occasionally eat less, but that is my goal. I was eating 1400-1600 a day before pregnancy and maintaining at 5'5" and 135ish.
  • Tattoos_and_Tea
    Thats interesting! Have you gained much since being pregnant?

I think I will up my calories to 1600 for a bit and see how I get on with that x
  • laurab1217
    laurab1217 Posts: 123 Member
    29 weeks pregnant and I average between 2200 and 2300, sometimes more....I have to eat 2200-2500 daily or else I won't gain....but I have also kept exercising throughout my pregnancy. I am 5'7, weighed 125-127 pre-pregnancy....and I've gained about 13 so far. Personally, I would never go below 1800-2000 while pregnant, even in the first trimester......there's so much that your baby needs. I'd ask your doctor...also listen to your body and eat when you are hungry.
  • freeasharold
    freeasharold Posts: 133 Member
    I have myfitnesspal set to gain a 1/2 lb a week (as of the second trimester). I mostly eat my exercise calories, sometimes not.
  • Rubyayn
    Rubyayn Posts: 433 Member
    29 weeks pregnant and I average between 2200 and 2300, sometimes more....I have to eat 2200-2500 daily or else I won't gain....but I have also kept exercising throughout my pregnancy. I am 5'7, weighed 125-127 pre-pregnancy....and I've gained about 13 so far. Personally, I would never go below 1800-2000 while pregnant, even in the first trimester......there's so much that your baby needs. I'd ask your doctor...also listen to your body and eat when you are hungry.

I agree with this, especially if working out. Anything below 2,000 for me is a pretty decent calorie deficit. One I wouldn't want to have while pregnant. I would use a site like Scooby ( http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/ ) and eat at TDEE for whatever the activity level is. I like this way because you can eat the same calories every day since it factors in your workouts for you. I find my body responds better to a consistant calorie intake, especially while pregnant. :)
  • mrs_dwr
    mrs_dwr Posts: 189 Member
    I aim for 2200/day, which was maintenance for me before I got pregnant (5'6", 145lbs). I haven't been able to exercise as much during this pregnancy, but my fitbit still logs me as hitting about 2100 every day, so I'm comfortable with keeping the 2200 as my calorie goal. I've gained 20-23lbs so far and am 31 weeks pregnant. I've been up and down the same 3lbs for the past 8 weeks. I gained most of my weight in the first 17ish weeks when I had horrible nausea and had to eat to keep from throwing up (and wasn't logging my food).
  • _ylime_
    _ylime_ Posts: 661 Member

I agree with this, especially if working out. Anything below 2,000 for me is a pretty decent calorie deficit. One I wouldn't want to have while pregnant. I would use a site like Scooby ( http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/ ) and eat at TDEE for whatever the activity level is. I like this way because you can eat the same calories every day since it factors in your workouts for you. I find my body responds better to a consistant calorie intake, especially while pregnant. :)

^ I am in the same boat as these ladies... I eat 2000+ per day... still haven't gained any weight (~13 weeks). So I will probably up my weekly average to 2300/2500 soon...
  • sallydurkin
    sallydurkin Posts: 211 Member
    I am at 1500 my Dr was fine with it, i planned to go up to at least 1700 next week as I am just finishing 1st Trimester.... I am feeling hungry too, and am not upset if I go over my cal.... usually its not over by even 100. I usually don't eat back my exercise calories, which lately have been getting more on track but were very spuratic from week 6-11....
  • ElectricMayhem
    ElectricMayhem Posts: 214 Member
    I am 12 weeks on wednesday and i have my calories set to maintenance (2010 calories per day)...some days i rock it like a champ, others i go over but i'm trying to listen to my body to gauge my hunger. I plan to gain about 15 pounds with this pregnancy since i had not hit my goal weight when i got pregnant. So far i've gained 3 so i feel good about it. I'm far healthier this time around weight and fitness wise than i was 12 years ago with my first pregnancy...i feel great!
  • yukifer
    yukifer Posts: 41
    I aim for 2200/day, which was maintenance for me before I got pregnant (5'6", 145lbs). I haven't been able to exercise as much during this pregnancy, but my fitbit still logs me as hitting about 2100 every day, so I'm comfortable with keeping the 2200 as my calorie goal. I've gained 20-23lbs so far and am 31 weeks pregnant. I've been up and down the same 3lbs for the past 8 weeks. I gained most of my weight in the first 17ish weeks when I had horrible nausea and had to eat to keep from throwing up (and wasn't logging my food).

This is similar to me. I wasn't sick, but gained weight really fast in the first 20 weeks. About 20lbs. I'm just starting tracking my calories for the first time this pregnancy - really needed to be honest with myself about what was happening- I'm in my 25th week.

I just got up the other day and said "Well, I can deal with this after the baby is born, or I can be honest about it today. No sense in overeating, wreaking havoc on me and the baby and then feeling like a bag of poo for the next year". I haven't weighed myself, but I'm being accountable and feel much better about my decisions. That alone must be keeping stress at bay.
  • Artemis726
    Artemis726 Posts: 587 Member
    Thats interesting! Have you gained much since being pregnant?

I think I will up my calories to 1600 for a bit and see how I get on with that x

Yep- I'm an easy keeper I guess. :laugh: I've already gained 28lbs and received a lecture from my doctor! My guess is that my workouts are MUCH less intense than pre-pregnancy, but what can you do. :smile:
  • jaylas_mom21
    jaylas_mom21 Posts: 311 Member
    I'm 5'4" and weigh 122 and am eating around 1720 calories a day which is maintenance for me since I'm pretty sedentary. I haven't been to the gym yet since being pregnant but when I do finally go, I plan on eating back the calories that I burn. I'm in my first trimester now and have been maintaining my weight eating this way and will increase it after the first trimester.
  • _ylime_
    _ylime_ Posts: 661 Member

^ I am in the same boat as these ladies... I eat 2000+ per day... still haven't gained any weight (~13 weeks). So I will probably up my weekly average to 2300/2500 soon...

opps above I intended to say NET calories... I eat way more depending on exercise... but I do quite a bit... I walk / run everyday and go to crossfit, plus some yoga / pilates... so my calorie burn is quite high on most days and the doctor said I should eat them back... For reference I am 5'7" and currently weigh 153-155lbs (depends on the day...)