post-partum weight loss!

Options
laurab1217
laurab1217 Posts: 123 Member
I'm currently in my third trimester, so I am probably thinking ahead, but I was just wondering, for those of you who have recently given birth, how much did you gain total and where were you at 6 weeks post-partum? How long did it take to get all of the weight off? What helped? (certain exercise routines, breastfeeding?)

Replies

• Pepper2185
    Pepper2185 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    Gained 44lbs, lost 40lbs by my 6 week checkup.

My son is 4 months old and I'm lighter than I was before I got pregnant.

I give credit to: eating enough, eating healthy, breastfeeding, and Zumba.

My mom advice: don't stress out about the weight. We all lose at different rates. Focus on sleeping and enjoy every moment with the baby. They grow so darn fast!
  • Alyssah09
    Alyssah09 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I am 19 weeks in and I am already thinking about loosing the weight. I have gained 9 lbs so far and hope only to gain a max of 9 more.
  • laurab1217
    laurab1217 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Wow, 40 lbs lost by your 6 week check up? That is awesome!!!

Yes, I definitely want to give my body time to heal and eat enough to get a good breastfeeding supply...but eat healthy! Thanks for those tips. I've gained 15 so far and am 29 weeks along, so hoping to keep it at 25. For the next 11 weeks I'm not so concerned about the number. I just want to focus on eating more nutrient-dense foods and getting back into healthy eating habits by getting the extra pregnancy calories from healthy foods instead of the fast food (Chick-fil-a!) and donuts that I crave lol. I've heard it's really easy to keep giving into those cravings even after delivery and that's why so many people end up either gaining more weight or don't lose very much....I just want to be prepared!

When you got the go ahead to start exercising again, what did you start with?
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I gained 58lbs and at 3 weeks 2 days am down 25lbs. I'm exclusively breastfeeding. I found that my appetite went down after delivery so I don't really have to deal with cravings as much.
    I haven't had my checkup yet but figured since I had an easy delivery (3 minutes pushing) and minimal damage I can start doing light exercises. So I started with walking 30-45 minutes 2 weeks pp and just yesterday I did a low impact cardio DVD at home.
  • Jillsie11
    Jillsie11 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I gained 30 during this pregnancy. By 6 weeks postpartum I'd lost 20 lbs, which my Doctor was VERY pleased with. Even fit into some pre-pregnancy jeans at 2 weeks pp!! These last 10 lbs however have been hannnnging on :) I had to play with the numbers a bit, but recently have started losing again. I now only have 6 lbs to go and am feeling more positive about it.

When I was given the okay, I started walking on the treadmill and doing Jillian Michaels workouts here and there. However, I did experience an increase in bleeding, and thus had to take more breaks.

Enjoy the last few weeks of your pregnancy- and don't rush the weight loss! I've decided I've been too focused on it, and when I stopped stressing so much, it started coming off :)

BTW- I'm 4 months post partum now!
  • lovelyrose11
    lovelyrose11 Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    Gained 20 lbs lost 17 lbs by 6 check-up. I actually started logging my food intake 2 days after getting home from the hospital. I didn't do any type of workouts until I was cleared. Since then I have lost 3 more lbs and I am 10 weeks PP.
  • rekite2000
    rekite2000 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I gained 23lbs and had lost it by 6 weeks- now I am working on the rest I had gained from my first daughter! Down another 8lbs from that.
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    Gained 30 during pregnancy. Lost 25 as of 3 weeks PP.

BUT, please please PLEASE heed Pepper's comment. Every woman and pregnancy is different as to how much weight they lose when. Eat well (don't undereat), rest, and focus on being momma.
  • mellynat
    mellynat Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    not as lucky as the pp. But I gained 36lbs and lost the first 18lbs the first 2-3wks pp. Left w the rest of the stubborn pounds to work off.
  • MrsCarter00
    MrsCarter00 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    I gained 45, technically 39 because (I lost 6 after becoming pregnant) and lost 25 within the first 2 1/2 weeks. I'm 11 weeks PP and have lost another 7 at this point and have 7 left to go, 13 till my lowest weight after becoming pregnant :)
  • cocolo89
    cocolo89 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    Not as lucky as the other ladies, but I gained 34, lost 16.5 and gained back 4.5. Not sure what I am doing wrong. I am working out 5days week and exclusively breastfeeding, calories are 2000-2100 a day and I don't eat back exercise calories. My body is messed up.lol

Edit** oh my baby is 7wks on Sunday.
  • chickybuns
    chickybuns Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    I'm also not as lucky. I gained around 60, lost 30 and nothing else is coming off. My son is 3 months old and I'm breastfeeding. I have tried different ways to do my calories. I stay within my calories most of the time and workout at least 3 days a week, I've heard that 1 out of 5 breastfeeding moms have a hard time losing.
  • bluegirl10
    bluegirl10 Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    I gained 33 pounds and at about 2 post partum I was back to prepregnancy weight... Now at almost 4 months pp I am working on the weight I was trying to lose before getting pregnant... Still at least another 10 pounds to go!
  • Jenny_Rose77
    Jenny_Rose77 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I gained 45. Lost 20 two weeks pp. (Baby weighed 7.3) I'm 9 weeks pp now, and have only lost 5 pounds since the initial 20...so 20 more to go. It's slow going, but hey, they say 9 months to put it on, 9 months to take it off. As long as it's going down, that's all I can ask for.
  • redheadmommy
    redheadmommy Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    I gained 60 lb . Baby was a bit below 7 lb, and lost only 10 lb on the first week. By the postpartum checkup I lost 25 lb , and left 35 lb to go.
  • FitMama2013
    FitMama2013 Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    Gained 44, lost 19 in first two weeks and nothing since (6weeks pp). I haven't been eating very well, though, but I'm working on it
  • Jenny_Rose77
    Jenny_Rose77 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Gained 44, lost 19 in first two weeks and nothing since (6weeks pp). I haven't been eating very well, though, but I'm working on it

Oh yeah, and I should say I have not been eating very well. I eat lots of veggies and lean protein, but also A LOT of sugar laden stuff. I'm trying to be better about it, but I am not being very strict with myself. If I was more of a task-master I would probably be losing faster...although who knows? Post-pregnancy weight-loss seems to be as confusing as pregnancy weight gain. So varied based on different people, even people who are eating/exercising the same.
  • Bombbombgo
    Options
    I gained 15, but 30 just kinda "fell off" within first few weeks pp. I didnt do any exersize until after six week check up, but ate super healthy and still exersized everyday while pregnant. LOTS of lean meats, fish, healthy fats and veggies! Between that and exclusivley breastfeeding, I was SUPER stoked with my postpartum body by two weeks. That said, I would just concentrate on getting some kind of activity in everyday during third trimester, and making healthy food choices while still preggers. Doing the work now will be a HUGE help posartum, when all you will be worried about is getting to know your new little angel. Good luck and congrats!
  • Pepper2185
    Pepper2185 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    I would just concentrate on getting some kind of activity in everyday during third trimester, and making healthy food choices while still preggers. Doing the work now will be a HUGE help posartum, when all you will be worried about is getting to know your new little angel. Good luck and congrats!

This is great advice.

I think one of the reasons I lost the weight so quickly was because I maintained my exercise routine and I ate a perfect diet while pregnant. I don't think I gained a lot of fat, so I didn't have a lot of fat to lose (I still gained 44 pounds though).
  • Bombbombgo
    Options
    I would just concentrate on getting some kind of activity in everyday during third trimester, and making healthy food choices while still preggers. Doing the work now will be a HUGE help posartum, when all you will be worried about is getting to know your new little angel. Good luck and congrats!

This is great advice.

I think one of the reasons I lost the weight so quickly was because I maintained my exercise routine and I ate a perfect diet while pregnant. I don't think I gained a lot of fat, so I didn't have a lot of fat to lose (I still gained 44 pounds though).

Yup, i'm a firm believer that if you give your body the right kinds of fuel while you are pregnant and stay active, your body will gain whatever is right for you and your baby, whether it is 6 lbs, or 60! :) The expression "eating for 2" is supposed to mean being more aware of the nutrients we put into our body. With that plus staying active, i've seen some mamas end up healthier postpartum than b4 pregnancy! :)