Please help me breastfeeding moms!!

Options
I was wondering if I could pick your brains about a few things... I am trying very hard not to get discouraged but it is nearly impossible for me not to be a little upset that I am going on a THREE MONTH plateau now... I knew I shouldn't have done it but I stepped on the scale this morning and I am STILL 168! I have literally only lost 9lbs in the last 5 months and I honestly do not see how this is possible! I am sore every day from my work outs -- I work out most days for an hour (2 days strength training 3 days cardio) I have lost a lot of inches and two pant sizes but where is it all going if the scale still says the same number?? I am eating 1600 to 1800 calories per day and some days I am eating about 2000. My 7 month old chunk still nurses 6 times per day. In the last 3 weeks I have cut out most refined carbs and sugars in my diet and have focused on eating more fruits and veggies. I'm trying so hard to focus on the positives (improved sleep and mental health, clothes are fitting great! Skin has improved and I am never out of breath) but this darn number is taunting me!! Am I really going to have to wait until I am done breastfeeding to see the number drop???

Replies

• nehami
    nehami Posts: 16
    Options
    I am not as focused as you are, but I try to eat somewhere between 1800 to 2000 calories per day. I mostly have home cooked meal which comprises of green vegetables and low carb low calorie bread. I avoid white rice and other things most of the days. I have lost only 10 lbs since my LO's birth. I still weigh 140 lbs for last 3 months (now I have stopped weighing myself and will only do that late in Jan, I used to weigh like every week and I was giving me hard time), I am ebfing 6 to 8 times per day.
    I am working full time so not really working out but I fit activities in my daily routine like fast walk for 40-45 minutes per day. I look a lot better than right after birth but I still have huge tires around belly. I am going to work reduced hours for couple months and looking to do 30 day shred starting next week. Lot of my friends say that I'll only loose when I wean. Its very disappointing. I am glad for you that your clothes fit great, I am still wearing a size bigger than what I was pre-pregnancy.
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    Do you have the opportunity to speak to a nutritionist? I've lost all of my weight while breastfeeding, but my daily calories are lower than yours (1500) and I only workout three times per week. I'm still holding a lot of fat in my midsection. You're likely gaining muscle if you're seeing inches lost but not pounds, and that's still progress!
  • rexy3033
    rexy3033 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I did start to plateau and I cut my calories in October from 1940 to 1600 (baby was 8 weeks old) and then it started to drop again. I have started to avoid the scale though. I jump up and down up to 2 pounds every day and I get so frustrated. Really, the goal is to look and feel better. If that is happening, who cares what the scale says!! It sounds like you are doing everything right (working out, counting calories, and eating nutrient dense foods), I think we just have to be patient and it will happen:)
  • nehami
    nehami Posts: 16
    Options
    Did you people notice a drop in milk supply when reduced calorie limit to 1600? I am not doing that on purpose because I am afraid of drying out.
  • jenngolych
    Options
    This might sound weird, but when this happened to me a few years ago, I started eating more calories (from protein - probably about 200/day) and doing more strength training and almost no cardio. Worked like a charm. A friend of mine was a student in exercise science and suggested this plan. Worth a try.
  • rnneelie
    rnneelie Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I feel like I could have written the original first post. I am 9 weeks post partum & I cannot lose anymore weight. I have lost about 1 lb in the last 2 weeks. I eat around 1600 cal/day & have milk to feed many babies despite only having one baby. I have cut sugar & most everything white or processed. I am eating over 100gms of protein a day, started weights, started running (pushing a jogging stroller with 2 kids in it) or exercise DVDs 4-5x/week and still the scale does not move past 163. I got pregnant @ a chubby for me weight of 155lbs & was looking forward to getting back to my normal weight of 130ish.. I am so frustrated with this lack of weight loss. AAAAGGGHHHH
  • alawley08
    Options
    Ive been calculating breastfeeding and exercise in and netting about 1300 a day...when I was doing 1500-1800 I was GAINING weight with breastfeeding. It was SO frustrating. If youre losing weight netting 1800, thats great! Yes, you are supposed to eat back the calories you burn. For whatever reason my body is different and wont lose weight unless I eat very little :( Im EBF a 5 month old and my milk is fine, just cant lose the weight unless I eat little :( So frustrating that others can lose weight eating 2000 calories and I cant lose weight with 1500. So after a 3 week plateau, I dropped it to 1300 and I lost a pound. Now Im in another plateau. SOOO frustrating. Its like my body wont let me lose weight unless I starve myself!
  • ckeachie
    ckeachie Posts: 26
    Options
    I've been breastfeeding for 18 months now.. and thought I'd chime in with what's been working for me! I am in school to become a lactation consultant, and was doing a huge assignment on breastfeeding and weight loss, and read about "zig-zagging" for weight loss while breastfeeding. So, for 2-3 days, I eat below my MFP alloted calories by about 100 calories (so with the added BF calories I'm at around 1900- but I'm a lot bigger than you girls!)
    Then, for 1-2 days I eat over... so I eat about 2300... then back to 1900... it is thought that the two "up" days boosts your metabolism again, which is very slow when you are breastfeeding. It was working great for me! NOw I have to get back on the bandwagon though, as I have SUCKED the last 6 weeks due to stress, and gained a crap load of weight back! :(
  • aefallis
    aefallis Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I have sucked lately at eating and exercise but was doing well eating 20% less than tdee+nursing calories. I've lost right at 50 pounds in around 5 months. My son will be 7 months on the 10th. Here is the tdee calculator I used: http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/ . I also recommend eating at least bmr: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/tools/bmr-calculator . BMR calculates the calories the body needs to purely exist. Yes you can get by on less but you're body will only be performing sub par. You may not notice it and may be able to lose but its not healthy.

I am unable to cut my calories under 1800 to 2000 or my supply drops.