Talk To Me About Strollers!

Options
Pepper2185
Pepper2185 Posts: 994 Member
We currently have a little Peg Perego stroller that our car seat snaps into. It's great for urban cruising but we (actually, I) want something all-terrain that can handle regular trail walks and jogs.

What are you using, and do any of you have recommendations for a good off-road stroller?

I'm looking for:
-three wheels
-not a piece o crap
-adaptability to carry two kids would be nice
-less than $500

Whatcha got???

Replies

• Jillsie11
    Jillsie11 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    We have something like this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Aosom-2IN1-DOUBLE-KIDS-BABY-BIKE-BICYCLE-TRAILER-STROLLER-JOGGER-RED-JOGGING-/280980834843?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item416bc34a1b

Ours was given to us, so it has a bit more wear and tear. But the swivel feature is great for running, and we plan to take both girls on bike rides this summer with it!
  • jls8209
    jls8209 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    We looked at this BOB stroller when we were shopping. Sturdy, great for trails, and competitively priced. Unfortunately we found it didn't fold as small as we hoped and it seemed too big for our trunk (Civic), so we went with something else (Bumbleride Indie, not designed for trails, and even though it folds smaller it takes up 60% of our trunk space). Anyway, only downside to this BOB stroller is that it doesn't convert to a double, although a double model is available.

http://www.mec.ca/AST/ShopMEC/Kids/ChildTrailersStrollers/PRD~5025-020/bob-revolution-se-stroller.jsp

Phil & Teds have convertible strollers, but I'm not sure about off roading...

http://philandteds.com/ca-en/
  • Pepper2185
    Options
    We have something like this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Aosom-2IN1-DOUBLE-KIDS-BABY-BIKE-BICYCLE-TRAILER-STROLLER-JOGGER-RED-JOGGING-/280980834843?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item416bc34a1b

Ours was given to us, so it has a bit more wear and tear. But the swivel feature is great for running, and we plan to take both girls on bike rides this summer with it!

This is what my husband wants to get. He likes that it can be used as a jogging stroller or a bike trailer. Double duty!

It's awesome that someone gave it to you! I love baby gear hand-me-downs!
  • Pepper2185
    Options
    We looked at this BOB stroller when we were shopping. Sturdy, great for trails, and competitively priced. Unfortunately we found it didn't fold as small as we hoped and it seemed too big for our trunk (Civic), so we went with something else (Bumbleride Indie, not designed for trails, and even though it folds smaller it takes up 60% of our trunk space). Anyway, only downside to this BOB stroller is that it doesn't convert to a double, although a double model is available.

http://www.mec.ca/AST/ShopMEC/Kids/ChildTrailersStrollers/PRD~5025-020/bob-revolution-se-stroller.jsp

Phil & Teds have convertible strollers, but I'm not sure about off roading...

http://philandteds.com/ca-en/

I love the BOB stroller. I know a few people who have it and they love it. If it had a double option (that wasn't side by side) I would get it for sure. I just feel wasteful buying another stroller if I won't be able to push two kids in it ... because I know I'm going to need this feature when we have another kid, and my husband will go insane if I suggest we get a third stroller :)

I haven't heard of Bumbleride, but I just looked at the website and I like the look of their stuff. The Indie looks great. Pretty stylish, too :)

Now I'm looking at Phil & Teds Navigator ... my husband is going to kill me...
  • blink1021
    blink1021 Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    I have a baby trend expedition its a great stroller only downfall is I have to go to the gas station to pump the tires. Mine is not a double stroller but they may make one. My other child is too big for strollers.
  • rachaelgarcia
    Options
    Phil and teds navigator!!!! W/o any extras it comes in right at $500 but u have the capability to go double! I did a TON of research on a jogger/ off roader that is double capable since I am expecting my second child on March 23 and can no longer use my jeep jogger. It seems to be the best option. Good luck mama :)
  • Pepper2185
    Options
    @blink - I like the looks of the Baby Trend one, and I'm surprised at how reasonable the cost is. I can see how pumping the tires can be a pain in the butt though. I thought air filled tires made for a better off-road ride???

@rachael - Thanks for the Phil and Teds vote ... I'm kind of leaning towards this one, but I'm afraid to propose the cost to my husband. Then again, he spends money on all sorts of crap :)
  • CaliSteph
    CaliSteph Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Have to agree with the Phil & Ted's - it's awesome.
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    I've heard nothing but great things about the BOB strollers. I'm planning on getting one myself once my little man gets big enough to ride in it at a full jog (6 months is recommendation).
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I had a 3 wheel Icandy apple that converted to a tandem when I had my 2nd. Not quite sure how it would be off road, but it had big, strong wheels. I took it on our beach which has pebbles. It was a travel system - you could clip the car seat into the chassis, and it had a seat as well as a carrycot. It was expensive though, but I live in England so it may be cheaper in the US.
  • J3nnyV
    J3nnyV Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Not sure how far apart in age your kids are, but have you thought about wearing one child in a carrier and pushing the other for hikes? Won't work for running, but this is the approach I take. My 2 year old rarely wants a ride in the stroller so I decided against a double. I can carry either my 3 month old or my 2 year old in my ergo and then push the other since the weight limit on the ergo is 45 lbs. Saved us a bit of money in not having to purchase a second stroller. I have a Bugaboo Chameleon and it does really well on the moderate trails around my house. Wearing one child makes for a great burn!

Have fun being active with your kiddies - what a fantastic example you're setting!
  • jls8209
    jls8209 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    @blink - I like the looks of the Baby Trend one, and I'm surprised at how reasonable the cost is. I can see how pumping the tires can be a pain in the butt though. I thought air filled tires made for a better off-road ride???

Air filled tired are better regardless of terrain. I remember taking my nephew for a walk in a stroller with non-air filled wheels and was turned off by that particular stroller because the wheels were in such bad shape despite being less than a year old...

@rachael - Thanks for the Phil and Teds vote ... I'm kind of leaning towards this one, but I'm afraid to propose the cost to my husband. Then again, he spends money on all sorts of crap :)

Good strollers cost good money! I think every parent I've known who started with a cheaper stroller ended up having to upgrade to something of better quality after a year or so, especially the avid walkers.

Either way, you're going to need an upgrade eventually. Your PegPerego clip-in stroller is going to collect dust once your little guy is too big for his car seat.
  • Pepper2185
    Options
    I ended up getting a BOB. I test drove the BOB and the Phil and Teds - I felt like the BOB was more suited to the outdoors. I bought it off of Amazon and saved 30%!

I figure when we have another kid, I'll either sell the BOB and get a double stroller, or I'll just wear the baby like J3nnyV said.

Thanks for all the help, ladies :flowerforyou: