Any overweight moms trying to keep weight in check

Options
kqs2002
kqs2002 Posts: 10 Member
I'm starting this pregnancy a little overweight and my Dr told me to gain about 15 pounds. Anyone else in the same situation? Any tips or struggles with it? I've done OK so far but I'm worried as I get farther along that the weight is going to pile on. I would love to hear from others in the same situation! :)

Replies

• mjoslin1990
    mjoslin1990 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    same here, doctor recommended about 15lbs. No tips here yet, I'm only 7 weeks along so I dont have any weight gain yet.
  • tamara_1982
    tamara_1982 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm very newly pregnant (5wks) haven't seen my Dr. yet appt is in another 3 weeks. Before I got pregnant I lost some weight, but according to my BMI I am still considered obese (which I think is a crock) I went from a sz 16 to a sz 12, so I definitely feel much better. I'm still working out 5 days a week I just lowered my intensity. Luckily I learned better eating habits before I got pregnant so I am just going to continue to eat clean and not use my pregnancy as an excuse to eat crap food :-)
  • 1DayMarathonRnner
    1DayMarathonRnner Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I am 18 weeks today... trying my best to stay healthy and eat healthy. I am only 1 pound up from my pre pregnancy weight. We will see how this goes. I have lost over 100 pounds in the past 5 years by not eating any grains. I am still in the obese catagory, and about 60 pounds from my "ideal" weight. My doctor looked at me when I went in for my first appt. and said, "You must eat grains". I go see him every three weeks (I have other medical issues that make me high risk) and he isn't happy with my weight gain. He thinks I need to gain more. I go see him next week and I have been told to bring my food diary so he can see what I am eating.

My problem is that I am terrified of gaining weight because I have put so much effort towards losing all this weight in the past.
  • BBeccaJean
    BBeccaJean Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I'm 26w3d and I started out overweight (PCOS and was working on losing the weight after I had my son who is now 18 months), so doc said gain between 11-20 lbs. I'm up 13 right now--I've gained all of that in the past 10 weeks! I need to slow down the gain a little--we'll see what happens!
  • joyfulteach
    joyfulteach Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Me :-(... My doc doesn't wanting me to gain more than 10 lbs. He even said he was ok to loose weight.
  • Sunny_Sunflower
    Sunny_Sunflower Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I'm starting this pregnancy a little overweight and my Dr told me to gain about 15 pounds. Anyone else in the same situation? Any tips or struggles with it? I've done OK so far but I'm worried as I get farther along that the weight is going to pile on. I would love to hear from others in the same situation! :)

Same here feel free to add me!
  • kcasey155
    kcasey155 Posts: 968 Member
    Options
    Me :-(... My doc doesn't wanting me to gain more than 10 lbs. He even said he was ok to loose weight.

I'm in the same situation, but am just going to eat at maintenance throughout this pregnancy, not adding any extra calories like a slimmer person would and concentrate on being/eating healthily. I'll keep on exercising as long as is possible and safe to do so and I'll worry about getting the weight off this time next year.
  • presleytitus
    presleytitus Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Same thing here- only to gain 15-20 lbs. I had just managed to lose about 25 lbs prior to finding out I was pregnant in January, now at 13 Weeks I have gained it all back.
  • kqs2002
    kqs2002 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I have gained 6 pounds at a little over 20 weeks. My Dr was OK with that but it makes me nervous if I'm only supposed to gain 15 :) this baby isn't getting any smaller so I've got to make sure every pound I gain is strictly baby related and not extra weight. I feel pretty good and haven't gained weight in any other areas besides my belly. How's everyone else doing?
  • kcasey155
    Options
    I'm about week 12 and eating over 2000 calories a day and somehow managed to lose a pound a week this last three. Am taking a good all round pregnancy vitamin and mostly trying to eat healthy, but am eating everything in sight at the moment. I do a 20-30 minute workout most mornings and sleep at least 10 hours a day. I went straight onto maintenance calories when I found out and didn't gain anything for about six weeks, then gained a pound, then lost three this last three weeks.

So I am at -2lb starting week 12 and am not meant to gain more than 15lb.
  • Nette0309
    Nette0309 Posts: 106
    Options
    Hey ladies, I'm in the same boat, my dr. actually didn't tell me a number to watch for, I have to get a preventative cerclarge in on 5/8 do to incompetent cervix with my first, but I know that I will not be able to excercise afterwards, he doesn't think I will have to go back on bed rest and now that I am 10 weeks long, I finally got a bit more energy, but I'm limiting fitness just to be safe. I feel like I gained almost 10lbs so far, I have to weigh myself on my own scale soon, I"m just always bloated and full of extra water !!!

I just need some help, what are you guys doing to stay within your goal weight gain ?

Last time I weighed in at 286 and MFP is set for maintenance on that right now, I haven't been tracking and just been eating what ever I want and I know that is very unhealthy and risky. So now that I can think more rationally, I need a game plan.. any suggestions
    I think I want to keep it at 15-20 lbs total, but I feel like I may have already gained half of that already !

My dr. is more focused on my cerclage than weight, he said watch portions for now..

I need some insight ladies ??
  • kcasey155
    Options
    I'd definitely track your food. It makes such a huge difference when you realise what you're actually eating! If you're like me and just love to eat the best way is to avoid processed foods as much as possible. Either eat raw or eat homemade, then you can fill up while keeping calories to a minimum.
  • kshanika
    kshanika Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I had lost alot of weight prior to the pregnancy with eating clean and working out but, when I started feeling sick I stopped exercising and I let the cravings get me, so I have gained a bit of weight but I hope to get this in check with logging again and I will be doing turbo fire and light weight traingin again hopefully I won't gain much with this pregnancy!
  • kshanika
    kshanika Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    @Nette0309 some things I find work is cooking at home and meal prepping is a big help and try to eat small meals every 2-3 hours lots of greens veggies and fruits and if its hard to eat this I make green smoothies so I can mix it up. Stay away from processed foods as much as possible. :)