Protein VS. Carbs.

Options
Is anyone on a restricitve diet that banishes carbs and encourage high protein intake? How is it working out for you?

Replies

• jessicalmedlen
    jessicalmedlen Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Yes, I have realized that carbs are not my friend! I tend to have tiers of carb no-no's... in other words Bread is an absolute NO-NO always. Rice is an usual no-no, unless it's black or brown. The more whole grain the better, but it's still not conducive to weight loss. I really try and follow the Paleo way of living which is higher protein and lower carb and that has helped me to lose a lot of weight now and in the past especially. Also- If I know for an absolute fact that I'm going to be eating some carbs because I can't resist... =) ... I take a product that I sell which is a carb blocker, and I swear it works miracles. Hope this helps!
  • laurenweatherill
    laurenweatherill Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    It isn't healthy to cut out whole food groups - wholegrain is always better and it's better to eat carbs in the morning/lunch rather than the evening. The Atkins diet proved to be very dangerous to a persons body. Carbs can sustain us for long periods of time - it's just about moderation! Good luck :)
  • NancyYMCA
    NancyYMCA Posts: 18
    Options
    I've had to figure out what worked best for me. While I tend to have to go low carb to lose weight, cutting them out completely has lead to a plateau for me in the past. I tried a week each of different levels of carbs and stuck with the one that worked for me.

I divided my plate into 3 secions - 1 protein, 1 carb, 1 fat. I experiemented with making one section larger than the other 2 and checked the scales at the end of the week (7 day week). For me, eating a bigger portion of protien, a medium portion of carb, and a small portion of fat worked best. And I was smart about what I ate.

I also allowed a "cheat day" once a week, but still kept it in moderation while I was trying to lose. I'm a junk food lover at heart, especially sweets. I allow myself a small dose of something sweet every day - 3 Hershey kisses, or a mini candy bar, for example.

I averaged anywhere from 3-5# of weightloss a month.
  • WendyPawelko
    Options
    MODERATION WHAT IS THAT? IF I HAVE A LITTLE I WANT MORE. I AM A BING JUNK FOOD CONSUMER. ESPECIALLY IN THE EVENING. I HAVE USED FOOD AS A COMFORTER FOR YEARS. NOW I NEED TO FIND HEALTHIER CHOICES. I THINK I'LL TRY MODERATION WITH A SWEET TREAT EACH DAY FOR A WEEK AND SEE HOW THAT WORKS FOR ME. THANKS FOR THE SUGGESTION.
  • NancyYMCA
    NancyYMCA Posts: 18
    Options
    Hee@Wendy! Love you!!! I ask myself this question everytime I reach for something junky "which do you want more - the candy, or to get thin?". And I have to dig deep for it sometimes, too.