Undereating?

Options
I am by no means anorexic, nor do I strive to be. It is understood that a base of 1200 calories a day is the bare minimum for what one needs to consume to survive. But am I the only person who is having an incredibly hard time reaching that minimum? It seems no matter what I do I always come up a hundred calories or so short and I know how dangerous it is. It's frustrating, not to mention terrifying. The thought of losing progress so far is truly a horrible one. But for some reason I seriously cant get there, whether it is poor food planning or a mental barricade I don't know. However I hope I'm not the only person who is dealing with this?

Replies

• Coolhand1969
    Coolhand1969 Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    We had a girl post with similar issues a few weeks ago...
    Personall, I'll be of no help to you, as my problem is always quite the opposite...
  • queenvenus71
    queenvenus71 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    According to my log, I do not eat my optimal amount of calories. Prior to starting this "fitness journey", I may have eaten once or twice a day, definitely not healthy. Not eating enough has an adverse affect for me. The less I eat (healthy or otherwise), the more weight I gain. My body does not metabolize because there is nothing to break down so in turn, I store the fat rather than burning it. Now, I am eating healthy (OH MY GOODNESS I AM A LABEL READER!!!), and I eat every two to three hours and I am still not getting all my calories in. I guess I need to consider eating foods that are higher in healthy calories.
  • booksey
    booksey Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I was surprised to see MFP "gave" me so many calories to eat. As I do strength training, I've been running around 2,000 calories (and usually eating that amount) daily. MFP is allowing me almost 600 more (2600). To fill the gap, I just drink an extra protein shake during the day and add a banana or string cheese to a meal. I just like the shakes (found one I can mix with water and it tastes great!) as they're not a "chew" method of nourishment.
  • darlilama
    darlilama Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    First, it is not a given that 1200 is "the" lowest number for all people... most likely the number is a bit higher for most adults. 1200 is just the lowest MFP allows as a "catch all" safety number. Unless you have a tiny physique, it's just unlikely that 1200 calories will "keep you alive".

You are 16? First, someone could report you since, technically, MFP is for those 18 yrs old and older. I am not going to report you, but you really might consider using a site that is geared towards teens who are still growing and have special physical needs.... including likely eating more than 1200 calories unless doctor/nutritionist supervised.

So, yes, not consuming all your calories IS a problem, especially at your age. First and foremost your goal should be to be HEALTHY. Focus on the types of foods you are eating. Eat fruits and veggies and lean meats. You can have your food treats, but they should be the small portion of your calories everyday, not the biggest portion. Skip the sodas (even the diet ones) and drink water - even the flavored waters (with a little fruit juice) is way better than the sodas. And, be active - have some fun, dance with friends, run around the block, do sports, whatever!

Talk to your parents, older trusted adults, your doctor. And, Good luck!
  • darlilama
    darlilama Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    P.S. To increase your calories in a healthier way, try nuts or nut butters, preferably natural ones. A small amount packs a lot of calories, but nuts have healthy benefits, too. Mix it up with almonds, walnuts, pecans, whatever you like.

Avocado is another healthy food. I make a quick guacamole by mashing up an avocada and mixing in some fresh pico de gallo (I buy it from my local deli, where they hand make it... not out of a can), add a little bit more cumin, cilantro, onion powder, pepper, if you like. It's a great sandwich spread, too, if you'd like to avoid all the chips. :) Or, at least try the Baked Tostitos Scoops or the Pop! Chips chili-lime tortillas... just don't overdo them.

Be wary as these foods contain high amounts of fat. Yes, it's the "good" fats... but too much of anything can be bad for you. :)

My heart goes out to you. Take care of yourself. I wish I could wave a magic wand and give you the self-esteem that you're looking for...however, that's something that really does come from within you. It helps to choose your friends wisely, those that love you as you are. I was very fortunate at your age to have a few fabulous friends who loved me even with all my flaws (real and perceived).

:flowerforyou:
  • kenjleigh
    kenjleigh Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I've always heard the best thing to do in those cases is a spoonful or two of peanut butter at the end of the day to up your calorie intake, plenty of calories in a spoonful and still good for you.
  • ElrykMechanic
    Options
    Thank you, that was incredibly helpful not to mention confidence boosting. I realize I should probably be doing this in a teenager enviroment, however I have a couple of friends who are just as serious as I am. We often lose our way, and get confused in the mix of hormones, health, and mentality. It really is nice to read and interact with adults with much more experience than we have. I appriciate the information, and I really appriciate the fact that you won't report me.
  • CaroleLynn65
    Options
    MFP "yells" at me everyday because 1200 is nearly impossible for me also...especially when it is good, fresh, unprocessed foods. It's easy to eat 1200 or more when eating McDonalds (which I still crave :-) and processed foods at home.

My MFP base is now set at 1300 plus calories earned from workouts...so if I reach 1100-1200, I am doing good. I've been alternating between 1000 & 1200 (which keeps my body tricked) and feel utterly stuffed. IF the time comes where I must increase my calories, I guess I'll have to add some "junk" into my menu so that I can reach it.
  • cassy30
    cassy30 Posts: 18
    Options
    Wow! I'm glad i am not the only one with this problem! :-) when u eat junk it is super easy to go over, but this last week i took bread and sweets out, im only drinking water and have added two or three servings of veggies to my healthy eating. My snacks actually is anything special k, so i dont mind being under my 1200 calorie count at the end of the day, plus i workout every morning, so of course they subtract the calorie count.
  • serendipity0924
    Options
    I have the same issue. I think my biggest issue has always been that I DON'T eat enough so my body holds on to fat. I have been using EAS AvantEDGE shakes or Atkins shakes to help me get in more calories that are healthy without making me feel so full when I am already not even feeling hungry. I find that not only do they help, but they also give me some energy as well.
  • nicholejoy1980
    Options
    I have the same problem! I especially have found it very hard to eat breakfast. I have started forcing myself to eat a yogurt with chia seeds (which I love) in the mornings and I really do think it is helping. I still don't meet my 1200 calorie requirement easily though. I hate logging my exercise because I don't want the extra calories since I am doing good to just eat the 1200. I have gotten use to eating a little in the morning and it is no longer making me feel sick to do so. I have to make myself do it before I start drinking my coffee though!
  • jhstroebel
    jhstroebel Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Please don't take this in a negative and hateful way, its not the intention... but EAT! Seriously, 9 months into this and 80+ lbs down you realize that undereating is a problem. You won't lose weight faster, and even if you do, your body is breaking down lean muscle, not fat (I assume most of you want to lose fat lbs). Now it seems like most of you realize you need to eat more, just don't know how to do it in a healthy way. Here are a few suggestions:

Peanut Butter (has a decent amount of fat, but its fat that is good for you)
    Nuts or Granola as a snack
    - Alternatively, a healthy granola bar or snack bar might be a way to get in additonal calories, they make everything from 90-100 cal snacks to 200-220 cal meal replacement type bars.
    Whole grains (Whole grain bread, pasta, rice, etc.)
    Lean Meat (Turkey based meats, chicken, lean red meats such as bison)
    Sweet Potatoes (in any form... fries, chips, baked, casserole)
    Dark Chocolate (good for you and lower in fat than milk chocolate)
    Yogurt (frozen, regular or greek, low fat... can combine with granola to add calories, fiber, etc)
    Egg whites for breakfast (combine with whole grain english muffin and turkey based meat for a healthy mcmuffin alternate)

As someone else mentioned, shakes are an alternative to getting more calories in your diet. Most reading i've done shows that it is far preferable to get calories and nutrients through eating real food instead of going to protein shakes, but if you really can't get to the number even after all these ideas, meal replacement type shakes might be a good alternative. Also if you are working out and trying to cut fat while hold on to the lean muscle, or even build a bit of lean muscle (good for increasing your metabolism) protein shakes are an easy way to increase your protein intake to help those goals. Personally I like Nitro Core 24 by Optimum Nutrition as a meal replacement. Throw their chocolate powder, water or milk (depending on how many calories you want to consume, or for different flavor), and even a bit of PB2 (look it up, its roasted peanuts that have the fat pressed out and its packaged dry... you add water to make a healthy but protein packed peanut butter) into a shaker cup, mix and drink.

Hope that helps... and honestly, if all else fails, find something sweet you crave at the end of the night and have a small amount in moderation to get to your calorie goal. Its about eating at a deficit, not depriving yourself of all the good things in life.