Cinnamon Raisin Bagel or roasted wet dog fur? Blech!

Options
Doberdawn
Doberdawn Posts: 732 Member
I tried the Against the Grain gluten free and dairy free Cinnamon Raisin Bagel... twice. I hoped the first time had been a fluke.... but it wasn't. The taste might be okay, I'm not sure.... because the SMELL is just so overwhelming that it completely turns my stomach. Has anyone else tried these? Honestly, after you toast them.... they reek like cooked wet dog fur. Blech city!!!! If you tried them, what did you think? Did you notice the "aroma"?

Replies

• monicalosesweight
    monicalosesweight Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    Could there be something wrong with them? I would contact the store and ask if maybe you got a bad batch. That seems odd. The only reason they would smell weird would be bad cheese. Maybe it got defrosted getting to the store? I would ask them if they have fresh and maybe take them back and try again. Remember my coconut bread experience, I bet you're doing the same thing.
  • jnoring
    jnoring Posts: 93
    Options
    I tried another against the grain product after raving reviews and it was horrible. Ugh. $8 and it still sitting in my freezer.
  • Doberdawn
    Doberdawn Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I tried another against the grain product after raving reviews and it was horrible. Ugh. $8 and it still sitting in my freezer.

Some are amazing... but some, I'm discovering are not. e.g., Love the regular rolls... the ones made with cheese in them (though being dairy-allergic, they are not as good for me). NOT thrilled with the dry, bland "Vermont Country Rolls" which they made dairy-free. Blah! Totally blah!
  • LainMac
    LainMac Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Against the grain pizzas - good.

Their other stuff, not so much.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    Udi's GF bagels are pretty good once you've toasted them and added cream cheese.
  • pepgab
    pepgab Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Udi's bagel are good.
  • monicalosesweight
    monicalosesweight Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    The cheese is what makes it really Pan de yuca in disguise as a fake gluten free bread. It's really a south American bread rolled into a roll or bagel. Grin.

I did see the bagels with raisins and got tempted but once I saw they had no cheese - chose not to bother with them. I've had plain tapioca bread and it sucks. It only tastes good if it tastes like Pandeyuca.

Monica
  • MaggieSporleder
    MaggieSporleder Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Ya definitely try the UDI's ones. SOOO much better. :)