how to combat emotional eating

Options
:explode:

Replies

• BunnyBabyDoll
    Options
    This is a tough one. Usually what I try to do is have healthy substitutes around for your favorite comfort foods. Like if your vice is ice cream after you've had the crappiest day ever try different frozen yogurts until you find one that does the trick or they also have some great ice creams now that are low fat low calorie etc... that are actually pretty tasty. Stick to the portion size. Use a smaller bowl to make it look like more and use a smaller spoon and take the time to enjoy your treat instead of eating like you've n ever eaten before in your life lol. You can apply the same concept to pretty much anything. Like I love mac and cheese and I messed around with sooo many recipes to make it lighter and healthier until I found the right one. Or you could try using exercise to help relieve emotional stress. You would be surprised how well it works. The tough part is deciding to do it but once your in it your in and you feel awesome :D
  • lovely_nicole
    Options
    Welcome, and thanks for the advice!
  • KML617
    KML617 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    This is a tough one. Usually what I try to do is have healthy substitutes around for your favorite comfort foods. Like if your vice is ice cream after you've had the crappiest day ever try different frozen yogurts until you find one that does the trick or they also have some great ice creams now that are low fat low calorie etc... that are actually pretty tasty. Stick to the portion size. Use a smaller bowl to make it look like more and use a smaller spoon and take the time to enjoy your treat instead of eating like you've n ever eaten before in your life lol. You can apply the same concept to pretty much anything. Like I love mac and cheese and I messed around with sooo many recipes to make it lighter and healthier until I found the right one. Or you could try using exercise to help relieve emotional stress. You would be surprised how well it works. The tough part is deciding to do it but once your in it your in and you feel awesome :D

^^ Great advice!!

For me, finding something healthy that I actually enjoy, to replace those high calorie snacks is a must! You need something to fill those cravings or eventually you will cheat or fail completely and give up. I keep skinny cow ice cream (110 calories) in my freezer for my sweet cravings, and snack factory flavored pretzle chips (110 calories) for those salty cravings. And like she said before... always remember protion control. When I'm snacking I try to drink a lot of water as well becuase it helps you to feel more full.
  • lovely_nicole
    Options
    Emotional eating is a hard subject, currently I try to refrain from unhealthy snacking in those moments
  • ath1985
    ath1985 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Awesome tips! I'm on the lookout for healthy substitutes for my comfort foods. I'm a huge popcorn fan. I need to find some healthy popcorn!