I'm 61 yrs old........ Too late for Eharmony?

Options
go_fast
go_fast Posts: 17 Member
I've been single for almost 5 yrs now. You think it's hard to find a mate when you're 31? Try being 61 & single. It's a virtual wasteland out there for a man my age. I've decided to take a pro-active stance & try a new dating site after having no luck with POF.
Eharmony seems to be the best choice so I've decided to ask here if any of you folks around my age have had good luck with the site. I'm an active, healthy guy with a job & money living in London, Ontario Canada.
I would appreciate responses from singles around my age. Whatcha think?

Replies

• pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I can't speak for the age issue, but generally speaking, most people here haven't had great experiences with Eharmony. They don't really match you the way they advertise. I've seen lots of ads for a site called Our Time, so maybe that's worth checking out?

Congrats on getting back out there and good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • kimad
    kimad Posts: 3,010 Member
    Options
    I also can't speak for the age issue, but from my experience with online dating, EHarmony has been the site to produce the most dates for me. Alas I am still single but I have tried POF, Match (another paid site), and Okcupid and I like EHarmony the best.

I think all things play a role - ie age, location, what you are looking for, etc.

Worth a shot if you can get a good 3 month pricing deal.
  • zachatta
    zachatta Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    My mom was in her 50s, I don't know what specific site she used but she did find a man and they have been very happy for years now.

It is never too late my man.
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    I've been seeing a lot of commercials for Our Time.com - that might produced more quality for you because everyone is more experienced :smile:
  • dbrightwell1270
    dbrightwell1270 Posts: 1,732 Member
    Options
    I've been seeing a lot of commercials for Our Time.com - that might produced more quality for you because everyone is more experienced :smile:

I was going to say that a guy I run with who is 67 uses our time and thinks it's the best. He is in phenomenal shap e for any age not just for 67. He has said he prefers it to any of the other sites he's tried. The last I checked he was actively dating 5 or 6 women.

When you see the dating 5 or 6 women don't think negativel of him. He was married for about 40 years. He watched his wife slowly and painfully die from cancer. He is the kindest, most honest and charitable person I've ever met.
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options

I was going to say that a guy I run with who is 67 uses our time and thinks it's the best. He is in phenomenal shap e for any age not just for 67. He has said he prefers it to any of the other sites he's tried. The last I checked he was actively dating 5 or 6 women.

When you see the dating 5 or 6 women don't think negativel of him. He was married for about 40 years. He watched his wife slowly and painfully die from cancer. He is the kindest, most honest and charitable person I've ever met.

If I was 67 and single and "well-maintained" and had gone through that, I'd be dating that many men or more. I don't think bad of him at all!
  • jkandktmom
    jkandktmom Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    My mom has used Our Time, Match and Zoosk, I'm not sure they have that one everywhere, and she has had good luck on all three. Our Time is geared toward the 50+ generation so I would give it a try!
  • go_fast
    Options
    So I've signed up for Eharmony. Haven't paid yet though. All of a sudden I'm getting all these replies.......hmmmmmm. Funny thing is though, they all sound exactly the same, same sentence structure, same theme, almost like they were written by the same person, again........hmmmmm. I've heard they "seed" people that just signed up to make sure they continue on to the end where you pay. I must admit I'm a skeptic.
    Not sure what to make of this.
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    So I've signed up for Eharmony. Haven't paid yet though. All of a sudden I'm getting all these replies.......hmmmmmm. Funny thing is though, they all sound exactly the same, same sentence structure, same theme, almost like they were written by the same person, again........hmmmmm. I've heard they "seed" people that just signed up to make sure they continue on to the end where you pay. I must admit I'm a skeptic.
    Not sure what to make of this.

Eharmony has structured first contections. You typically pick a message out of a couple offered to send to someone to show you are interested. If you are both interested then you send likes and dislikes or something like that. It is very structured on how people open up communication.
  • RunIntheMud
    RunIntheMud Posts: 2,645 Member
    Options
    Yes, the replies will all look exactly the same on EH because of the guided communication. If the profiles look the same you have a problem. ;)

I do agree that the process is slow, as well as the matching. I've been on for about 3 weeks and am going on my first date from it tomorrow. With the other sites it usually only takes a couple days.

I was going to suggest ourtime as well. I've seen quite a few ads for that lately. Good luck!! :)
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options
    I would date you, you look like Commissioner Gordon and that's cool.

But I'm a little far away :ohwell:
  • jkandktmom
    jkandktmom Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    I would date you, you look like Commissioner Gordon and that's cool.

But I'm a little far away :ohwell:

I wanted to offer to set him up with my mom up she is a little crazy and he is too far away.
  • JanieJack
    JanieJack Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Actually, this is a great age to be on eHarmony, our time, match, etc. Totally anecdotal, lol, but my friend's auntie who is in her 50s, there are few good guys available in the late 50s early 60s and the competition against other women like her who are widowed (or just plain single again) is fierce for what guys ARE out there. Seems like a guy who takes decent care of himself and treats a woman well should have plenty of options.

It's funny to get her talking- she has the same complaints *I* had about online dating (that there are so many desperate women out there willing to accept sub-par treatment and still put out that men don't come correct anymore).

Hope you find love!!
  • go_fast
    Options
    Actually, this is a great age to be on eHarmony, our time, match, etc. Totally anecdotal, lol, but my friend's auntie who is in her 50s, there are few good guys available in the late 50s early 60s and the competition against other women like her who are widowed (or just plain single again) is fierce for what guys ARE out there. Seems like a guy who takes decent care of himself and treats a woman well should have plenty of options.

Well, I do take care of myself & believe in treating women the way I like to be treated. I know I have lots to give the right person. Does it sound vain of me to say, I want someone who has the same energy level & zest for life that I do?
    I'm going to keep going on the compatibility quiz & will eventually pay I'm sure.
  • dbrightwell1270
    dbrightwell1270 Posts: 1,732 Member
    Options

It's funny to get her talking- she has the same complaints *I* had about online dating (that there are so many desperate women out there willing to accept sub-par treatment and still put out that men don't come correct anymore).

Hope you find love!!

Sounds like the basic economics of supply and demand.