And the color of the year is ...

Options
thedreamhazer
thedreamhazer Posts: 1,156 Member
... EMERALD! At least, according to Sephora and Pantone. I am tickled -- I love this color! But it is a lot of color and I'm doing my best to figure out how I want to wear it. Their examples are gorgeous, but a little runway for actual use.

introducing_emerald_first_look.jpg
introducing_emerald_third_look.jpg
full.jpg?1361826163

I got an eyeshadow palette from Sephora, but it was on the tame end. I also got some emerald liquid eyeliner, which is BEAUTIFUL, but I'm looking for a little more drama.

Quite frankly, I adore this palette:
s1481043-main-grid.jpg

...but I have very little faith in my ability to wear it. I went in and asked for a demo of the emerald. It ended up okay ... they used a different palette with browns ... but it kind of just looked like neutral eyeshadow and then emerald liner, I barely saw any emerald shadow at all. And when he DID apply it, I thought I looked like I had a bruised eye. Wouldn't that be even more of a danger in a palette with navy blue and emerald?

Anyway, how are you feeling about emerald? Does it deserve to be The Color of the Year? How will you wear it?

Replies

• nerdyandilikeit
    nerdyandilikeit Posts: 2,185 Member
    Options
    I think you could use the navy as a liner color, then put the emerald concentrated on the outer half of your lid blended inwards with the light color? I'm no expert, but I'd try that. It would be easy to have it go to far, so you'd have to start small and build up.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    I have an eyeliner from Urban Decay named Graffiti. It's a bright green with silvery flecks in it. I line my upper lid with it, thick, and then I layer a thin black line of liner over the green. Then just add mascara. No eyeshadow at all, and the black tones down the OMGbright green.
  • nerdyandilikeit
    nerdyandilikeit Posts: 2,185 Member
    Options
    Or you could try just a gradient sorta look where the navy was only on the outside corner, then use the emerald to blend the edge towards the center so it's just a hint of it? I don't know, but you could work with it :)
  • OkieinMinny
    OkieinMinny Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I looked at this thread and looked up and saw a L'oreal ad -

http://shadowlooks.lorealparisusa.com/neon-skirt-313.html

Pretty, but more subtle way to wear it
  • thedreamhazer
    thedreamhazer Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    I looked at this thread and looked up and saw a L'oreal ad -

http://shadowlooks.lorealparisusa.com/neon-skirt-313.html

Pretty, but more subtle way to wear it

This is very pretty, I can play around with the colors but I knwo those shapes will not work with my eye. I have a very, very wide eye with a lot of lid and a shallow brow bone -- basically, not even a little bit hooded like the model's, so you'd be able to see every line, lol. It is a very pretty play of colors, though, all of which I own.

There are some really good ideas here overall, I'll definitely be playing with makeup this weekend!
  • sillygoosie
    sillygoosie Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    Gorgeous color. I wish I was bold enough for that! I guess I'll have to stick to my emerald leather jacket and my boring makeup.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    goes well with the cobalt coming up for FW13
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    I'm WAY into the cobalt! :heart:
  • Lift_This_
    Lift_This_ Posts: 2,756 Member
    Options
    doesn't go with my skin tone....ill stick to my purples and greens and golds...
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options

emerald is green!
  • Lift_This_
    Lift_This_ Posts: 2,756 Member
    Options

emerald is green!

yes, i realized that after i posted...lol...but ive tried emerald before...doesn't work with my skin..
  • extraordinary_machine
    extraordinary_machine Posts: 3,028 Member
    Options
    I have hazel-green eyes that change from lion-yellow to bright-*kitten* grass green, so I'm not sure if the emerald tones would work on me.