Hello?

Options
Can we all do introductions? It looks like this group isn't that active anymore...

I'm an Army vet that got out 2007, 5 months after that I became pregnant with first child. I ended up having 3 kids from 2008-2011 lol. My husband is still in the Army and he certainly keeps me motivated but it helps to have an extra push. Total weight gained during that time was 156lbs total lost thus far 158lbs. I have toning to do..a lot of toning so any tips would be great.

Replies

• kuntry_navy
    kuntry_navy Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    Spent 7 years as an Aviation Structural Mechanic in the Navy, got out in 2011. Maybe you could try cutting out refined carbs(pastas and white bread, etc.)
  • Topdog67
    Topdog67 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    USMC veteran, got out in mid- 1990. My motto is now "Not as lean, not as mean, Still a Marine" Thank you both for your service.
  • darkguardian419
    darkguardian419 Posts: 1,302 Member
    Options
    active duty navy (6 years and counting), currently in a cut to get back to body comp standards.

I'd recommend some strength training. You won't get bulky like a guy, but it will make the muscles tighter (and maybe a tiny bit bigger, but again, you won't even go up a size in clothes for a while) but it will help with any shaky/flabby/whatever-you-want-to-call-it-ness that you may be worried about.
  • BL_Coleman
    BL_Coleman Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Active Duty AF, Currenlty 150lbs trying to get back into fighting shape, which i estimate will be around 120-130lb. Going to try working out every M-F we shall see how it goes.
  • sgtrowley
    sgtrowley Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Active duty Army Recruiter in Columbus Ohio!
  • HeyImRin
    HeyImRin Posts: 13
    Options
    Studying at the DLI.

Full time Army National Guard
  • guardian_of_freedom
    Options
    Just signed on to the Army National Guard, leaving in May for OSUT. Excited...trying to train for it.
  • kateroseearly
    Options
    Separated from Navy about five months ago after over five years, now in the IRR, married to an AD Sailor.

We live in Japan right now, but are going back to San Diego soon -- me for school, him for shore orders.

As far as tips... looks like you know how to lose the weight. To tone, there are a lot of things to do. I believe you said your husband is still military? See if there are fitness classes offered on base. Some base gyms even have personal trainers and swim instructors who will be happy to help you for free. Some you can hire yourself. There are a lot of classes even here in Japan, and the most you'd ever pay for one is three dollars.

If you don't want to go to the actual gym, or be around people, maybe you have an iPhone? I absolutely love the Nike Training Club app. It's free, and it has a ton of workouts, some of which are better than others. You might need a resistance band or kettle bell, etc., but these aren't really pricey -- and you could use substitutes, like for example, a gallon of water in a jug, or a sock full of pennies. Or one of the kids! :-)

Anyway, also, read up a little on yoga. You can practice at home. To me, it definitely doesn't FEEL like working out. It just feels like stretching and relaxing and feeling good. Go for the poses you can't seem to do. If you keep trying every day, you'll slowly build strength, balance, and MUSCLE, i.e. tone! I love yoga. It's painless, just takes time.

There's really a lot you can do. Workout videos and all probably work, and if you don't want to buy any of those, I'm sure you could pirate them too. All just depends what you'll be able to stick with and enjoy. Good luck!
  • kateroseearly
    Options
    I just read my own post, and I realize I might sound like a real cheapo, but I just don't think a person needs to spend a lot of money to get fit!

P. S. I also don't use pre-workout drinks; I just drink coffee. :-)
  • rllangley
    rllangley Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Active duty Army Infantry and leaving the 82nd to do some recruiting. Looking for a way to track my fitness and diet while away from the Infantry.

After my recent deployment I haven't gotten back to the shape I was before or during deployment. Will be working to get back to my normal weight and fitness.

Thank you all for your service and All the way!
  • heysarge13
    heysarge13 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    15 Years in the Army National Guard. My whole career has been spent in the Field Artillery and I wouldn't what it any other way. Currently finishing up my third deployment and trying to make the most out of being stuck at a desk for the first time in my career. Always looking for new friends from all branches of service. So send me a friend request, but just leave me a message.
  • kaybee9489
    kaybee9489 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Active Duty Army, stationed in Wiesbaden Germany.
  • maryglynos
    maryglynos Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    army vet who got out in 2008 after spending 6.5 years active duty. I feel im more active now then when i was in. I also dont listen to what the army says. I use army training but, I do it my own way. Friends are welcomed to look at my stuff and become friends for motivation
  • JustJessLynn
    Options
    AD USAF 4 years and counting. my job is "contracting" if anyone even knows what that is.

got shin splints that lead to stress fractures, which lead to "no high impact" profile for a year, which lead to 40 lbs of weight gain... sad face.

I'm working hard to get rid of it!
  • RachaelStJ
    RachaelStJ Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Air Force Reserves, but work on full time orders. Work in Intel. LOVE it.

Messed my ankle up again while running for a PT test and spent a year in physcial therapy. Gained a TON of weight. Looking to get back in shape to pass the PT test to go on orders for next fiscal year, and to feel good about myself.

Feel free to add me! I LOVE supporting people on here and being supported.

Aim High!
  • Tatonka_usn
    Tatonka_usn Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Have been a Navy Reservist (Intel) for the past 3.5 years, following 13 and change on active duty (also Intel, enlisted and officer). Living/drilling in the DC area now, working in civilian life for one of the "three letter" Agencies. Can't wait until the day (in 3 years) when I can hang up the uniform , and even more so, when I can retire for good and move somewhere else.....
  • ginnettemoskowitz
    ginnettemoskowitz Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I am in the Army Reserves. I need to drop approx 20 lbs. I want to start getting ready for the APFT in the fall as well.
  • PubCrawler
    Options
    Prior service Army, 68whiskey out in 09... trying to re-enlist... got to drop 40
  • BL_Coleman
    BL_Coleman Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Update : Still AD trying to get back into shape. I am now 140...so I feel better reading this from before. Going to up my workouts and see what I can do.
  • Tatonka_usn
    Tatonka_usn Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Update : Still AD trying to get back into shape. I am now 140...so I feel better reading this from before. Going to up my workouts and see what I can do.

Great job!!!