Yet Another Newbie!

Options
I everyone!

I'm new to this group and new to forums too. I live on the NW side of Indy. I've been stuck at plateau for about a year now and getting really frustrated! I strength train 2x/week and I'm training for the Mini in May. I'm trying the IndyRunner's training series at Butler for the first time this year. This will be my 4th or 5th mini, but only my second time running it.

Anyone out there eating Unprocessed, whole foods, or clean eating? I tried the October Unprocessed where you don't eat any highly processed foods (refined white sugar, white flour, artificial ingredients) for 30 days. It was an eye opener! It really has changed the way I look at food. Now I just really need to focus on portion control!

Replies

• Coolhand1969
    Coolhand1969 Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the group! I hadn't heard about that IndyRunner's training series until recently.. That sounds great. I may look into it next year.
  • murryhill5099
    Options
    I really like the IndyRunners training series. Typically, they start at Hinkle and then run down the foot path along the canal and back. You also run with a pacer in a pace group which is nice. After every run, they have "informational meeting" with topics ranging from running gear to injury prevention.
  • kenjleigh
    kenjleigh Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hi! I think I'm having the same problem as you...a year-long plateau with strength 2 times/wk and cardio on the other days (running/cycling). I started running last year (never had before) so that kept me busy and not thinking about weightloss so much as inches. Still not much of an appearance difference, but I'm definitely in better shape.
    Have you tried zig zagging calories? (ie, 1500 one day, 1800 next, 1200 next, and repeat) I've started a few times but it's difficult to get into the rhyme of thinking so far ahead and I tend to screw it up on the wkends. I've considered paleo, but I'm not a meat eater so I think that'd be quite a challenge for me.
  • murryhill5099
    Options
    Thanks for your post. I haven't tried zig zagging calories. I actually just started counting again. I was just trying to eat good, healthy food & not worry too much about the number of calories. Mostly fruits/veggies and whole grains. I wasn't gaining weight, but it's just not going down. I know I'm building muscle, because I can feel them under the layer of flab! Going to try adding interval training on my runs a couple of times a week and see if that helps.

I thought about paleo too but eww! I'm not much of a meat eater either.