Post Birth Cal & Macro settings for Overweight BFing mommas

Options
cakesmooth
cakesmooth Posts: 122 Member
* I posted this on the prego board as well but since I'm both already a mom and expecting I am hoping you "been there, done that" mommas can help as well. Here's my question:

I fell off my healthy way of eating mid first trimester and have gained excess weight again. I was still overweight when I became pregnant although I was easily losing a pound a week. Physical activity is easy for me its my diet that sucks. I'm due next month and excited to get back onto a healthy track again!

I gained excess weight with my first as well and BFed for 20 months. Although I was very active and even ran a half marathon easily I still didn't lose more than the 20 pounds that came off when my son left my womb. It took WW (one year after the birth) to lose extra weight then cal & macro tracking with MFP to lose more. BFing doesn't take my weight off so if that's your answer it doesn't help me. I will add BFing cals to my day.

I'm planning on 1800 cals the first month with lots of protein then when baby is 6 weeks (planning another natural vaginal delivery) I'm going to join an 8 week local Body Back program which will put me on a strict whole & clean food based diet which will include extra cals for BFing. But now I'm wondering if 1800 cals the first month post baby is ok for supply.

If you were in this situation before what worked for you?

Replies

• likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty much where you are, just another kid and year in. I worried about my weight but didn't do much about it for the first year because of milk supply. Also time and motivation.

One of my issues in the last year was that every time I tried to lose, I'd try to eat normal portions - way too small for the calories I was using. Then I'd eat anything I want, which made me gain weight. It was a real eye opener to see how much I HAD to eat in order to stay healthy and lose weight.

I'm 5'9" CW: 198.5 GW:172. My current kcals are 1850 + I add exercise + 250 bfing calories (for a 15 month old).

Friend me if I've been helpful.
  • harmonyh10
    harmonyh10 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    It would really help if you could give us your stats. How tall, how much you think you are going to weigh post birth.

I would STRONGLY suggest that for the first 6-8 weeks you don't count calories and focus on eating simple whole foods in reasonable portions. You body is healing from a huge internal injury (where the placenta attaches to your womb) and you need to focus on rest and nourishment.

After that first bit your body will have lost fluid, your blood volume will have come down by half and your milk supply will be well on its way to being established. Your birth recovery is not a time to not take yourself into consideration.
  • shrinkinc
    shrinkinc Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    * I posted this on the prego board as well but since I'm both already a mom and expecting I am hoping you "been there, done that" mommas can help as well. Here's my question:

I fell off my healthy way of eating mid first trimester and have gained excess weight again. I was still overweight when I became pregnant although I was easily losing a pound a week. Physical activity is easy for me its my diet that sucks. I'm due next month and excited to get back onto a healthy track again!

I gained excess weight with my first as well and BFed for 20 months. Although I was very active and even ran a half marathon easily I still didn't lose more than the 20 pounds that came off when my son left my womb. It took WW (one year after the birth) to lose extra weight then cal & macro tracking with MFP to lose more. BFing doesn't take my weight off so if that's your answer it doesn't help me. I will add BFing cals to my day.

I'm planning on 1800 cals the first month with lots of protein then when baby is 6 weeks (planning another natural vaginal delivery) I'm going to join an 8 week local Body Back program which will put me on a strict whole & clean food based diet which will include extra cals for BFing. But now I'm wondering if 1800 cals the first month post baby is ok for supply.

So I was 50 lbs over weight when I got pregnant with kidlet #1. I gained an additional 40 lbs. I only lost 20 lbs before I got pregnant when she was 19 mo old. I can't say I tried SUPER hard to lose wight, but I didn't feel breast feeding gave me any extra boon. I am a sugar addict though so that doesn't help the situation.
    With kidlet #2 I gained 20 lbs putting me at the exact weight I was when I gave birth to #1. A week after having him I started tracking on MFP. I have my goal set to lose 1 lb a week and I add in 500 cal extra for exclusively breast feeding. I think this time because I started right away it's been easier to lose the weight. I've lost 32 lbs and he was 16 weeks old on Monday. Nothing steller, but honestly good for me given my weight gain/loss history. To be honest I'm not trying super hard and I almost always go over my cal goals (sometimes only a little but, sometimes a lot - again, I'm addicted to sugar!). I need to start running again (OMG I have a 5k in a week and then a 7k in a month) but exercise in general has not been consistent. Working full-time, taking care of two kids, a house and trying to have some type of relationship with my husband outside of the kids takes up my extra time right now (extra time?!? hahaha). In general though I feel like it has been easier this time around to lose weight (when I commit) and I've not had any issues with my supply.
    I'm 5'7", HW 235 39 weeks pregnant, CW 203, GW 145 (hopefully, some day).
  • cakesmooth
    Options

So I was 50 lbs over weight when I got pregnant with kidlet #1. I gained an additional 40 lbs. I only lost 20 lbs before I got pregnant when she was 19 mo old. I can't say I tried SUPER hard to lose wight, but I didn't feel breast feeding gave me any extra boon. I am a sugar addict though so that doesn't help the situation.
    With kidlet #2 I gained 20 lbs putting me at the exact weight I was when I gave birth to #1. A week after having him I started tracking on MFP. I have my goal set to lose 1 lb a week and I add in 500 cal extra for exclusively breast feeding. I think this time because I started right away it's been easier to lose the weight. I've lost 32 lbs and he was 16 weeks old on Monday. Nothing steller, but honestly good for me given my weight gain/loss history. To be honest I'm not trying super hard and I almost always go over my cal goals (sometimes only a little but, sometimes a lot - again, I'm addicted to sugar!). I need to start running again (OMG I have a 5k in a week and then a 7k in a month) but exercise in general has not been consistent. Working full-time, taking care of two kids, a house and trying to have some type of relationship with my husband outside of the kids takes up my extra time right now (extra time?!? hahaha). In general though I feel like it has been easier this time around to lose weight (when I commit) and I've not had any issues with my supply.
    I'm 5'7", HW 235 39 weeks pregnant, CW 203, GW 145 (hopefully, some day).

Super inspiring! This may be my model!! That's exactly my case and exactly the rate of loss that I strive for, slow and steady!! It's worked best for me! I'm also a sugar addict but do ok if I can substitute tea (I've drastically reduced green tea consumption during pregnancy only since already have a folate absorption issue). I'm going with this!! Thank you so much!!

I'm 5ft 6in and am estimating to weigh 180 after birth. I like the idea of setting MFP to lose 1 lb per week and adding 500 for BFing. I'll keep an eye on my macros and keep protein up since that always kept me satiated. Trying to eat whole foods and just trying to eat healthy doesn't work for me as my son and husband are also huge sugar addicts. We also have Italian and Mexican families both local and I know they will be bringing over lots of fatty foods.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    One thing I did that's made a big difference is to get a chest freezer for my basement. I always have frozen veggies, chicken breasts, fish and the Kashi frozen meals on hand, just in case.
  • cakesmooth
    Options
    I've been trying to freeze foods and we keep eating them! What kind of things are you buying?
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Kashi frozen meals
    Chicken breasts
    Butter
    Shedded cheese
    Fish
    Chicken Nuggets
    Cheese Pizza
    Every type of frozen vegetables that we eat
    Steak
    Meatballs
    Any time I make a lasagna or a meatloaf, I'll try to make a spare
    Popsicles
  • theonlychuck
    theonlychuck Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    hi ladies i too and trying to loose weight after 2 babies 3yrs and 9mo. now im finding it hard because of the food we have for them (snack food) or making my oldest lunch and not nibbling on his left overs how do you all manage?
  • rachpetersen
    rachpetersen Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't recommend putting a calorie limit on yourself during your first 6 weeks post partum as 6 weeks is the earliest your milk supply will stabilize and you wouldn't want to risk compromising a good healthy supply. Eat good whole healthy foods, heal, and then you will be prepared to start off on the right foot to get your pre-pregnancy body back!
  • likitisplit
    Options
    theonlychuck - one thing that I started doing was EATING the fruit and vegetables that I make for my kids. I'm not a big fruit eater but my three year old is. Another thing - they need higher fat/higher sugar stuff. So I get rotisserie chickens and carve myself a breast, or add a serving of green beans to whatever I make for them. Vegetarian baked beans are another easy addition. I like the Ab Diet Cookbook - it has great high fiber recipes that you can throw together when you don't have many calories left at the end of the day. Tasty and nutritious.