Pancake Mix?

Options
SnazzyPeg
SnazzyPeg Posts: 33 Member
Does anyone have a gluten-free pancake mix that they love? Everything I've tried lately has ended up being more like a crepe. TIA!

Replies

• schmenge55
    schmenge55 Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    I used to like Kinnikinick but it got old some how. Now I use Hogdson Mills. My mother like Pamela's which I have not tried
  • hdlb
    hdlb Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    We use a mix from "XOXO Baking". I've only found it at one store, and its amazing. It uses mostly coconut flour, we'll never use anything else. The pancakes are nice and fluffy, with a good texture and no weird taste. Mmmm.
  • pinkeclipse
    pinkeclipse Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I use the mix from the Gluten Free Pantry. I love it thick fluffy pancakes. My family who is not gluten free love them too and could not tell the differance.

Kim

14192422.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • jennybear4041
    Options
    We make pancakes out of homemade oat flour. Basically that means we use the food processor to pulverize quick oats and make pancakes out of it. You can make a batch of it and keep it in an airtight container -- then you'd always have pancake mix.

this is the recipe we usually use:

http://www.asweetsimplelife.com/home/2012/3/5/oatmeal-pancakes.html
  • tvl0308
    tvl0308 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I use the Bisquick gluten free for pancakes and biscuits and they are good. .
  • pepgab
    pepgab Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I like maple grove gluten free pancake mix.
  • joyfulteach
    joyfulteach Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    For those interested I have a gluten free baking mix recipe:
    2 c. Brown rice flour
    2 c. White rice flour
    1 1/4 c sweet rice flour
    3/4 c millit
    2/3 c. Potato starch
    6 T baking soda
    6 T sugar
    1 T salt
    1 T xanthum gum
    Fluffy Pancakes:
    1 c. Mix
    3/4 c milk
    2 T melted butter
    1 egg.
  • SnazzyPeg
    SnazzyPeg Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!!!
  • wellness333
    wellness333 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I'm also a big fan of Pamela's. I'm the only Celiac in the family, but everyone wolfs them down and doesn't even know the difference. On special occasions when I go all out, I make my Gram's homemade buttermilk pancakes with folded whipped eggwhites; fluffiest you'll ever see and the tastiest you'll ever put in your mouth... My go-to GF flour, while not the least expensive is Cup4Cup. It has never failed me on any recipe! It was originally sold only online or available at William Sonoma, but I just saw it at Wegman's! Made my day!
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    My sister made pancake's from the Pamela's mix for breakfast while I was at her house, and I freaked out after taking a bite that maybe it wasn't gluten free. It's great for scones too.
  • casbar911
    casbar911 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    We like Bob's red mill
  • sb4480
    sb4480 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I use Pamela's pancake and baking mix for just about everything.

I tried the gf bisquick and it's really gritty.
  • KFJOI4JWGOJM
    Options
    I use Bisquick Pancake Mix/Baking Mix - Gluten Free. It's really good.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    problem is, like most gluten free stuff its loaded with calories....

I keep hearing this, but I haven't noticed it. Gluten free flours seem to have about the same calories per unit of weight that other flours do. I use more eggs in gluten free baking, and that adds more protein, which is a plus in my diet.
  • sb4480
    sb4480 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    problem is, like most gluten free stuff its loaded with calories....

I keep hearing this, but I haven't noticed it. Gluten free flours seem to have about the same calories per unit of weight that other flours do. I use more eggs in gluten free baking, and that adds more protein, which is a plus in my diet.

Processed gluten free foods do typically have more calories and fat than their non-gf counterparts. But you're right, whole foods that are GF are about the same. Yet another reason to cook/bake from scratch as much as possible :)
  • wellness333
    wellness333 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I agree totally. There are very few processed GF foods that I buy - and that's not often. Crackers for entertaining and I love the Scharr shortbread cookies when I'm making a cheesecake (for the crust.) The latter is a special treat for my son who is not GF but if I'm making it, I'm eating it!
  • lacharp
    lacharp Posts: 66
    Options
    Bisquick GF is good... but King Arthur Pancake mix is the best, if you can find it! Pancakes are nice and fluffy, just like "regular" pancakes.
  • allshebe
    allshebe Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    OK - what kind of mix yields a crepe like pancake? I've always preferred thinner pancakes (rolled up with a sprinkle of sugar - syrup is too much sweet for my tastes) and the mixes I've tried make pancakes that are too fragile when I thin the mix down enough to make a thin cake.
  • jayliospecky
    jayliospecky Posts: 25,022 Member
    Options
    I actually still really like the Kinnickinick mix. And my store always has it. Mind you, I make waffles more often than I make pancakes, so they do behave slightly differently.

I also like Pamela's.

I just picked up some Better Batter mix to try. I have heard incredible things about their all-purpose flour, and the pancake mix was also on sale, so I picked up some of that, as well. Looking forward to taste-testing it!