Can I hang out here?

Options
BikerGirlElaine
BikerGirlElaine Posts: 1,631 Member
Hi everyone,

I've been lurking here for a while already, I just finally decided to speak up!

I have been using MFP since mid January and really loving it! I didn't have to change the way that I eat very much except to start choosing lower-fat proteins. I'm a bacon cheeseburger kinda girl at heart. :blushing:

I'm not a newbie to weightlifting but I had kind of a rough time of it for the last nine years or so. Before that I was kind of a gym rat.

Anyways... Someone on MFP recommended that I try Stronglifts or Starting Strength. I read up on both, and then I spent several weeks trying to squat the way that Rippetoe describes in SS and it just. wasn't. working. However, I asked for help and got it, and when I was squatting yesterday I could feel that 'all systems go' feeling, finally.

So here I am reporting for duty! I am not going to be doing any power cleans for a long time, maybe never, so I finally settled on doing Stronglifts. My first 'official' SL workout will be tomorrow (if I can get to the gym through the forecasted snow!)

Elaine

Replies

• ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    Glad you're here! I have had the highest self esteem and confidence ever since I started SL. Nothing gives me the feeling of satisfaction like dead lifting my own body weight (as of TODAY!).

Let us know how your first workout goes! Have fun :drinker:
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Woohoo, welcome to the group. I've seen you posting in Eat, Train, Progress. Don't worry, we won't bite!
  • juliemouse83
    juliemouse83 Posts: 6,663 Member
    Options
    Woohoo, welcome to the group. I've seen you posting in Eat, Train, Progress. Don't worry, we won't bite!

Well, not unless you ask real nice. :laugh:

Welcome!
  • chunkmunk
    chunkmunk Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Of course you can hang out with us! Welcome. I avoided starting strength because of the power cleans too. But I really like Stronglifts and hope you do too!
  • vegannlg
    vegannlg Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Howdy! Glad you spoke up. Lurking is a good way to learn, but asking is better. :happy: Because of the way our weight room is set up at home, I end up having to do power cleans to move the bar around and reset things so I have incorporated it. Like the way it feels to be able to do that. My 19 year old son came down to tell me something in the middle of one once, and promptly pronounced that I must stop getting so strong! :smokin:
  • Soosannah
    Soosannah Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the group!
  • hofosho1020
    hofosho1020 Posts: 179
    Options
    Hi there! I'm new too :)
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I commented on your squat thread in ETP! I'm so glad to hear that they are going better for you :bigsmile: What did you end up doing?
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Oooh we gots lotsa new faces, welcome ladies!!!

: )
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options

Heh. Speak for yourself. :tongue:
  • BikerGirlElaine
    BikerGirlElaine Posts: 1,631 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!! I feel at home already :glasses:
    Welcome! I commented on your squat thread in ETP! I'm so glad to hear that they are going better for you :bigsmile: What did you end up doing?

I squatted the way that I have always squatted. My feet are not out as far and my toes are almost straight ahead (but not quite... maybe 10 degrees). As I said, I am not new to squatting, but Rippetoe is so knowledgeable that I really wanted to do it the way that he said to.
  • DaniH826
    DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Hey, welcome! I'm with you on the squat, it took me what seems like forever to get the form right, and I'm still correcting it all the time. I'm a Rippetoe-ite myself and hang on his every word because the man knows his stuff, for sure.

Also, you can do Starting Strength with deadlifts instead of power cleans, just FYI, since those two feed off each other anyway and a power clean is basically an explosive deadlift. Thus sayeth Rippetoe anyway. :laugh: