Flying... cat!

Options
charm_quark
charm_quark Posts: 316 Member
So, I need your advice. I mean I need advice from people who really love their pets.
I have a cat.... or it's better to say I have a pet-partner.
199939_4369779289_507389289_15919_364_a.jpg
We live together since she was a 2 month baby, aka. September 1998. Doing the subtraction you could find out that's about 15 years. :smile:
We studied together for our BSc., then moved to another city studied again for our MSc., met our husband :laugh: , we both got in love with him :laugh: , we married him :laugh: ... and here the bad things begins.

We live in Greece... yeah yeah... the small bankrupted country at the east Mediterranean sea, our love has been unemployed for 2 years and so we decided to migrate to the other side of the earth, aka down under, aka Australia, where our husband is from.

I badly wanna stay together with my furry partner, :sad: :sad: but I cannot overlook that she is an old lady now. The flight is about a total of 30 hours and after that she has to be in quarantine for 1 month, until we get her to her new home. I'm not afraid of the quarantine, cause Aussies are great with animals. I'm just afraid for the trip. It will be too stressful for her. She even just can stay in the car for one hour without crying like a human being when I take her with me at my parents home for vacations.
The first alternative is to leave her behind with my parents, which I trust them (they have 2 more cats) but still I'm the only one who understands this furry-beauty so well (and she doesn't want other animals for company!).
The second alternative, was suggested by my sister, who lives in Germany, and she really wants to take her there. The flight is just 4 hours, and because of being roommates for a couple of years with my cat, I know that both of them would accept this co-living-togeter again.
Still I can't imagine myself living without her!:noway:
Since day one I had her, I imagine that we will be together until death... I cannot decide what to do.

By the way, even she is 15 years old she has a GREAT health, and none medical issue, at least known, until today.

Replies

• eddysuchydvm
    eddysuchydvm Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I love that you love your little girl so much :)

I would recommend taking her to the vet and having at least some basic blood work done to check her kidneys, liver, etc. before the flight. If her blood work looks good and she is otherwise perfectly healthy, there is no reason that the flight be hard on her. I know you were about her stressing out, but you can give her a sedative before the flight. Also, you can check with the airline - maybe you'll be able to take her on the plane with you instead of in cargo? I did that with my cat and it was great. I was able to comfort him and after a while he just curled up and went to sleep. She will be stressed out at first, but with a 30 hour flight, she'll settle in. Those are my thoughts :)
  • charm_quark
    Options
    Even she is a cat, they won't leave me to have her on the plane. Being exact, we will travel with different airline, cause I'm leaving at the end of May, and her tests for rubies and the quarantine obligations will be ready on September. So my parents will just go to the airport the day I have booked her ticket, and send her to me then.
    Our vet told us exactly what you did. She'll settle in after the first few hours. She just can't meowing like crazy 30 hours. Vet also suggested not to give her any medication before travelling for the stress, because I won't be able to see if she has any side-effects. I feel so bad putting her into this, but I really can't live without her.
    I mean... I just feel that she began her life with me, she must be with me at the end too. I'm going to look after her cause I know here even better than she does!
    Next week, she's having her vaccine-chip, and taking blood for her rubies-test so as to get ready her passport and for a more detailed check-up.
  • kkzmom11
    kkzmom11 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    i agree with eddymeese and see if she is healthy, then give her a sedative for the flight. i know it will be rough, but you will thank yourself for keeping her with you. otherwise, take her to your sister who lived with her for a while and knows her.
  • charm_quark
    Options
    The results from the tests were that she has some liver failure issues because of ageing.
    The time I heard them I got my decision even if it is the hardest I had to get until now. No stress for her. No travelling. My mother will look after her until the end.
    So sad... but I'm sure she had 15 great years with me, and the vet said that with particular medical food (special for hepatic diseases) she might live many more years.
  • Camera_BagintheUK
    Camera_BagintheUK Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    The results from the tests were that she has some liver failure issues because of ageing.
    The time I heard them I got my decision even if it is the hardest I had to get until now. No stress for her. No travelling. My mother will look after her until the end.
    So sad... but I'm sure she had 15 great years with me, and the vet said that with particular medical food (special for hepatic diseases) she might live many more years.

Oh poor you I really feel for you having to leave your cat behind but at least she'll be cared for and happy for her remaining years. You should be proud that you've taken such good care of her and put her needs first. Maybe one day you'll have another love with another cat - not a replacement, no cat can be replaced. But a different one that you'll love as much but differently. :flowerforyou: