Where my vegetarians at?

Options
Uhhhlexxxis
Uhhhlexxxis Posts: 39 Member
I'm gluten and soy intolerant, and also a vegetarian. I need some MFP friends. I have a few great recipes up my sleeve, and I'd love to learn some more :)

I'm looking to lose 30lbs before my wedding in September, so I also need some serious support!

Replies

• pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    I'm vegan, grain free, multiple allergies. I do eat soy, but usually only in the form of tofu/tempeh, the majority of my meals are soy-free. Happy to answer any questions you might have!
  • jbonow1231
    jbonow1231 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I'm not a vegetarian or vegan, however, I have been working to have more "meatless" days in my diet and to be more creative with my gluten free cooking. I also have multiple allergies (gluten, fish, MSG) so - I'd love some new friends and ideas as well. :D
  • pdworkman
    Options
    Well, why don't we each post some of the things that we have eaten/are planning to eat this week?

dinners/leftovers for lunch:
    - roasted veggies
    - roasted tofu with quinoa
    - veg chili/taco salad
    - baked potato with mushroom alfredo sauce
    - green salad
    - coleslaw
    - cabbage vegetable soup with buckwheat pan-bread
    - crepes with fruit, homemade hash browns, maybe some tofu or chickpea hash
    - veggie burgers
    - quinoa aloo tikki

desserts/snacks
    - nachos (terra chips with daiya cheese)
    - vegan carrot pudding
    - peanut butter balls
    - homemade sorbet
    - fruit with nut butter
    - trail mix

breakfasts:
    - bread & jam
    - fruit
    - pancakes
    - buckwheat porridge
    - chili over sweet potato
    - sweet potato with cinnamon
  • jbonow1231
    Options
    Here's the foods I've had this past week, with suggestions on vegan substitutes:

Breakfasts:
    - Gluten Free Instant Oatmeal (Eco-Planet brand is pretty good)
    - Apples with Peanut Butter
    - Homemade GF Carrot-Raisin Muffins (dairy free, but contain eggs)
    - Homemade GF Apricot-Ginger Scones (dairy free, but contain eggs)
    - Protein Shake

Lunch:
    - Evol Frozen Bowl
    - Flackers (Flaxseed Crackers), Goat Cheese, and Baby Carrots (Sub: Hummus)
    - Perdue GF Chicken Fingers
    - Salad with Raspberry Dressing and Feta

Dinners:
    - Homemade Pizza on Udi's Crust with Broccoli
    - Tacos
    - Wild Rice and Mushroom Soup (uses Half-and-Half but Coconut Milk could sub)
    - Wild Rice Jambalaya (lol, I made a lot of rice last night)

Snacks:
    - Enjoy Life Cookies (100 calories pack)
    - Trader Joes Dark Chocolate Honey Mints

Tell us more about the buckwheat pan-bread, that sounds good.

Also - which veggie burgers do you like that are gluten free? I really like SOL Cuisine, but they only have them at Whole Foods around here, so they are kind of expensive.
  • rebi84
    rebi84 Posts: 2
    Options
    im gluten free and a vegetarian
  • pdworkman
    Options
    Pan Bread

1/2 cup buckwheat flour
    1/2 cup tapioca flour
    1 tsp baking powder

Heat your oven to 400F with cast-iron pan inside. Mix up the batter. Spread into the cast-iron pan and put back in the oven. Flip over with a spatula when it is mostly baked (about 10 minutes?) and bake until done. Cut into 6 or 8 triangles and serve with bruschetta, soup, hummus, jam, or whatever. Nice quick, easy bread.

Veggie burgers - we also get Sol Cuisine, they are the only brand that don't have any of my allergens. Or make homemade.

Also - which veggie burgers do you like that are gluten free? I really like SOL Cuisine, but they only have them at Whole Foods around here, so they are kind of expensive.
  • hdlb
    hdlb Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Pan Bread

1/2 cup buckwheat flour
    1/2 cup tapioca flour
    1 tsp baking powder

Heat your oven to 400F with cast-iron pan inside. Mix up the batter. Spread into the cast-iron pan and put back in the oven. Flip over with a spatula when it is mostly baked (about 10 minutes?) and bake until done. Cut into 6 or 8 triangles and serve with bruschetta, soup, hummus, jam, or whatever. Nice quick, easy bread.

Veggie burgers - we also get Sol Cuisine, they are the only brand that don't have any of my allergens. Or make homemade.

Is there a liquid in the recipe?
  • pdworkman
    Options
    Pan Bread

1/2 cup buckwheat flour
    1/2 cup tapioca flour
    1 tsp baking powder

Is there a liquid in the recipe?

LOL. Yes, add water until it is a thick batter, similar to drop biscuit consistency. I think I might have put xanthan gum in there too, 1 tsp.
  • jbonow1231
    Options
    Talking about gluten-free veggie burgers - I saw a new brand at the store the other day - corn free, soy free, nut free as well.

http://www.qrunchfoods.com/qrunch-burger/

Haven't tried them yet, but my interest was piqued.
  • pdworkman
    Options
    Millet (first ingredient) is out for me. But they look good.
    Talking about gluten-free veggie burgers - I saw a new brand at the store the other day - corn free, soy free, nut free as well.

http://www.qrunchfoods.com/qrunch-burger/

Haven't tried them yet, but my interest was piqued.
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    I have tried the Qrunch and Sol Cuisine burgers. The Qrunch ones are definitely lower in sodium, but they are also more calories and a lot lower in protein. They seem more like a chicken patty substitute. Sol Cuisine original is my favorite. They are high in sodium, unfortunately, but very high in protein and low in calories.

Both brands are ridonkulously expensive, of course.

There was another one I tried, maybe Amy's was the brand (?) but they had walnuts in them and my son is allergic to those, so I didn't like having them around.