At the beginning

Options
Avilamlee
Avilamlee Posts: 5 Member
Im just starting to get ready for surgery... I'm on a 1200 calorie diet and surgery wont be for a couple months....I'm really nervous but ready to lose weight...If anyone can give me advice It would be greatly appreciated!

Replies

• rumplesnat
    rumplesnat Posts: 372
    Options
    Start exercising NOW!!! Any weight loss pre-op will drastically help your surgeon maneuver around more easily. You will recover faster, too, plus they have you up and walking around very quickly after surgery. I lost 64 pounds before surgery, starting out by walking (in tears 1/3 of the way around the block from pain and embarrassment), Walk Away the Pounds videos and using my elliptical 5 days a week. No matter how small you start out, it's better than nothing.

Also, I started my pre-op stuff in September 2011, 6 months before my surgery in March 2012. It's taken me this long to finally start wrapping my head around eating to live, not living to eat. I actually look forward to exercising now, too.

This isn't a cure, it's a tool and will only work if you use it properly. Read all of the information you can...don't dwell on horror stories, though. I know over 2 dozen people personally who have had WLS of one type or another and of those who have had complications, 99% were self inflicted because they didn't follow their surgeon's recommendations and advice. It's crucial to follow instructions and phases, take your supplements and get moving!!! :bigsmile:
  • Pearliture
    Options
    One of the best things I did pre op was that everything became home cooked. I completely cut out going out to eat. Start practicing getting in 64oz of fluid. and start reading labels and ingredients.