Hello Ladies!!

Options
bimmer2331
bimmer2331 Posts: 59 Member
Hey Everybody,

I joined this group a week or 2 back but never said hello .... I am so glad I found this group... I have started lifting about 2 months ago( Some dude at my gym told me to check out stronglifts.com!!!!!)....I am nowhere near as good as you ladies are but I am just glad i started and also annoyed I didnt do it sooner...I have rotator cuff tendonitis , so lifting is now stalled...I ahve posted on teh Eat, train, progress group about this..

A few ladies at my gym have asked me" WHat do you think these weights will do for u ?? Banish those love handles??" " WHo told you to lift like this??" " DOnt you know light weights and more reps are what ladies should be doing?" " OMG are you trying to kill yourself??" " You have issues you need to work on "...:ohwell:

I am 136 lbs at 5'4"... I know I am yet to catch up but these are my working weights

Squats- 85 lbs
deadlifts- 105lbs
barbell rows- 65 lbs
Bench press( i use the smith machine as i dont have the guts yet to do otherwise)- 65lbs
OHP- just 45 lbs ( the empty bar)

:flowerforyou:

Replies

• vashnic
    vashnic Posts: 93
    Options
    Ignore those silly billies at the gym--they will quiet down and maybe even start lifting, too, once they watch your results! :wink: And rotator cuff injuries are a big pain in the rear. :grumble:
  • Soosannah
    Soosannah Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Hi and welcome!
  • hofosho1020
    hofosho1020 Posts: 179
    Options
    Welcome!! I solve those problems by not talking to people at the gym LOL!
  • DaniH826
    DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Welcome, and it looks like you're doing great after only a couple months!

We all start where we start, and we progress how we can. No shame in that. :smile:
  • RunDoozer
    RunDoozer Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options
    This is why I dont talk to people at the gym unless I need a spot.

You're doing great we all lift what we can at our own place. Hope you heal up well and can get back at it soon.

Welcome :flowerforyou:
  • xidia
    xidia Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    Welcome!

Heck, girl, you're the same weight & height as me and you're lifting more than I am! Great start!
  • victoriannsays
    victoriannsays Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    don't listen to those people at the gym - stick with us :)

and welcome!
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Hey there!

Yeah, ignore the gym ladies, none at my gym have had anything negative to say, they just stand and watch sometimes or comment how hard it looks, or scarper away intimidated...hee! I wish more would lift with me, but no can do, still the only one doing the big compound lifts in the man corner.
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    Welcome! Your starting numbers look good! And ignore the ladies at the gym. The "scary man corner" is a lot of fun!
  • BikerGirlElaine
    BikerGirlElaine Posts: 1,631 Member
    Options
    Hello, welcome!

Now I'm not the newest person here anymore! :wink:
  • lexgem
    lexgem Posts: 163
    Options
    Hi and welcome! Sounds like our stats are pretty close. I'm 5 foot 3, 63.8 kg
    Squat 46kg
    Deadlift 49 kg
    Bench 29 kg
    OHP 21 kg
  • vegannlg
    vegannlg Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Welcome, glad you checked in. As far as rotator cuffs go, I lift with a surgical repair on the left, and chronic problems on the right. You can still do this, just warm up properly, and ice when you need to. I also found this very useful:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRYmTEN_ZA8&list=FLyne4_NfeiqET6eOk-0fEng
  • chunkmunk
    chunkmunk Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I think your numbers look great, and I'm sure you will make progress. Ignore the ladies at your gym. IN two months they'll be begging to lift like you. :tongue:
  • Fittreelol
    Fittreelol Posts: 2,535 Member
    Options
    Hi bimmer!

I'm sorry you workout with such jerks. Also I find the use of "ladies" here hilarious. As in "a woman of high birth/social status."
    "A lady never burps."
    "A lady never is alone with a gentleman unchaperoned."
    "A lady never lifts heavy."
    "A lady should always use high reps and low weight."

I would ignore them. If they keep making comments then I'd just ask for a reference of where they got their information. I read a ton of advice columns, and they'd probably tell you to say something like, "what a rude thing to say" in response.
  • juliemouse83
    juliemouse83 Posts: 6,663 Member
    Options
    Hello and welcome! Glad you said hello! I echo everyone else’s sentiments. :smile: (And am so tired that I can’t get my own thoughts from my head to my keyboard, LMAO….)
  • bimmer2331
    bimmer2331 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Thankyou :smile: .... its nice to feel accepted .... sometimes i wonder if i have sprouted a horn or 2 because of the weird looks I get:laugh: ...

I see a dude(s) here...thats nice!!!!
  • Iron_Duchess
    Iron_Duchess Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Like always I'm the last one to show up! Sorry about that... Welcome! Nice to have you around. :smile:
  • pspetralia
    pspetralia Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    Welcome!